Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Jet Performance MAF

So, I purchased and installed the Jet Performance MAF a month ago. I usually read a good bit of reviews before I make a purchase and this was no exception. There were a few negatives on this MAF, but most were good. Well a month to the day, the MAF took a crap! It was on my way home from work, in rush hour, on I-95. Those of you on the east coast know how fun 95 is in rush hour! The car started bucking, chugging and eventually, stalling out, a lot! When I got home, I hooked up the SCT that I literally just got the day before, to see if there were any codes. Nothing. so I went in the reverse order of the work I did on the car and the last thing was the Jet MAF. It's funny that in the install instructions from Jet for the MAF, they suggest that you keep your old MAF. Good advice! I kept mine, switched from the Jet to the factory and all is well!
Since then, I've ordered a Granatelli MAF and just installed it, but I haven't had the car on the road to see if there's a difference from stock, I'll follow up later. So, if your're considering a MAF change, I recommend NOT getting a Jet MAF.

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
They're garbage; they modify OEM electronics to alter the resistance of the sensor to trick your computer. They also have a high failure rate.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Might as well just left it in the trash and leave a stock MAF in. They do absolutely nothing for performance.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
uvraise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
They're garbage; they modify OEM electronics to alter the resistance of the sensor to trick your computer. They also have a high failure rate.

In theory, they should work. I would imagine it's like any other electronic device in that if you use inferior components, you'll get inferior results. I'm hoping the Granatelli is better. I purchased both through Summit Racing, I'm getting a full refund for the Jet MAF. If the Granatelli fails, I'll do the same and go back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
Old 05-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvraise View Post
In theory, they should work. I would imagine it's like any other electronic device in that if you use inferior components, you'll get inferior results. I'm hoping the Granatelli is better. I purchased both through Summit Racing, I'm getting a full refund for the Jet MAF. If the Granatelli fails, I'll do the same and go back to stock.

I understand how the sensor actually works as it is crucial to my job. It's snake oil. The correct readings by a factory sensor are needed to calculate air density, which surprisingly to most internet racers, has a great affect on the proper stoichiometric ratio of air/fuel. Skewing the reading to feed an ECM only part of the picture will only cause a less than perfect burn. You can tell the ECM that the air is less/more dense than it really is but it doesn't actually make the air less/more dense. When it comes to the chemistry of combustion you can't fake it. Sure a magic MAF can cause your car to lean out and make a smidge of power, but it is a really bad idea to trust your engine to such poor design. Do yourself a favor and get a tune and quite wasting money on gimmicks that can and will eventually cause harm.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
uvraise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I understand how the sensor actually works as it is crucial to my job. It's snake oil. The correct readings by a factory sensor are needed to calculate air density, which surprisingly to most internet racers, has a great affect on the proper stoichiometric ratio of air/fuel. Skewing the reading to feed an ECM only part of the picture will only cause a less than perfect burn. You can tell the ECM that the air is less/more dense than it really is but it doesn't actually make the air less/more dense. When it comes to the chemistry of combustion you can't fake it. Sure a magic MAF can cause your car to lean out and make a smidge of power, but it is a really bad idea to trust your engine to such poor design. Do yourself a favor and get a tune and quite wasting money on gimmicks that can and will eventually cause harm.
While I don't pretend to be an expert on the internal combustion engine, I do what makes logical sense, to me. You really shouldn't tell people what to spend THEIR money on. I can't say for a known fact that the MAF will cause harm. In my experience thus far, they either work or they work very poorly. Anyone who has had issue with one, won't drive their vehicle but a few miles. Lastly, I do have a tune.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #7
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
He's a 100% right, it's a total waste of money. He's not telling you how to spend your money, he's telling you that your wasting it on something that doesn't work, there's a difference.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvraise View Post
While I don't pretend to be an expert on the internal combustion engine, I do what makes logical sense, to me. You really shouldn't tell people what to spend THEIR money on. I can't say for a known fact that the MAF will cause harm. In my experience thus far, they either work or they work very poorly. Anyone who has had issue with one, won't drive their vehicle but a few miles. Lastly, I do have a tune.
Why on earth are you wasting your money on it when you have a tune? I will send you a bank account # to drop money in when you feel like your wallet is getting too heavy if that's the problem.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Snake oil and a waste of money.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
Like P.T. Barnum said--- There's a sucker born every minute.
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #11
uvraise

That escalated quickly

Old 05-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
Synner

Well you're disagreeing with people who are telling you truth. The sensor is there to sense airflow. There is nothing that should be changed on it because it should only be sensing airflow the way GM intended. You're paying extra for an inferior part due to a dishonest 3rd party vendor screwing with a perfectly fine OEM unit, changed the sticker on it, and charging you more. There is no such thing as an improved unit, just someone duped into believing so.

So now you're choosing a different 3rd party vendor who did the same thing. Put your money in a shredder and keep the stock one, your car will be more reliable.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #13
uvraise

I didn't realize there were so many electrical and mechanical engineers in this forum, that's all.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #14
Synner

This is shocking news that some people on a car forum may know something about cars. I hate when I inadvertently learning something, really ticks me off.