Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-24-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Gain Potential With Stock Boost

I know a pulley is among one of the most popular mods for supercharged cars, but since these cars are already spinning the tiny blower so fast, what are the potential gains with just an intake, exhaust, ported blower, a Tony Mamo ported TB and tune? Are any exhaust modifications worth the power gain?

In addition to this, how much of a power increase can you expect after all of the above mods, then adding the most mild pulley upgrade available?

Just came back from a Chevy dealership my friend works at and saw these two beauties. I drooled over them for an hour, picking between these two colors is absolutely daunting.
Attached Images

Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
I'd be interested in the answers you'll get. My 1le is 3 weeks old with 300 miles and i'm already scheming on what to do to get more power out of it down the line.

GO WITH THE BLUE DUDE !!!

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Unless you're talking headers as part of exhaust mods what you've listed will get you very little. Especially a TB. Since you're talking tune Flex Fuel sensor and E85 would be your best bet with a set of headers.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #4
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
I'd be interested in the answers you'll get. My 1le is 3 weeks old with 300 miles and i'm already scheming on what to do to get more power out of it down the line.

GO WITH THE BLUE DUDE !!!
Everybody has been voting blue. I like them both quite a lot. The blue one has 40 miles on it though while the red has 4.

I see you own a Hellcat as well. Picking between a Hellcat and a ZL1 has driven me insane for a long time. Basically, I like the engine in the Hellcat and almost everything else in the ZL1. It's a tough choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Unless you're talking headers as part of exhaust mods what you've listed will get you very little. Especially a TB. Since you're talking tune Flex Fuel sensor and E85 would be your best bet with a set of headers.
Headers would be part of the exhaust modifications. Cat backs generally don't do much. What sort of gains can you expect from headers? If the gains aren't significant, I'd probably pass on that, I love the way the car sounds from factory.

Can you do flex fuel and E85 without upgrading the fueling?
Old 06-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
I am bias so I won't say but my zl1 1le is garnet red lol.
I see you live in Long Island. I will be down visiting my folks during 4th of July week if you get one let me know.
I plan on putting at least 800 to the tire. I have ARH 2" long system headers and a Nick Williams 103 in the box, currently have borla x pipe and corsa axle back on the car and a cai going on Tuesday. Plan on a Whipple and either port injection or LPe direct injection setup heads cam pullies what ever it takes to meet the goal.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Everybody has been voting blue. I like them both quite a lot. The blue one has 40 miles on it though while the red has 4.

I see you own a Hellcat as well. Picking between a Hellcat and a ZL1 has driven me insane for a long time. Basically, I like the engine in the Hellcat and almost everything else in the ZL1. It's a tough choice.

Headers would be part of the exhaust modifications. Cat backs generally don't do much. What sort of gains can you expect from headers? If the gains aren't significant, I'd probably pass on that, I love the way the car sounds from factory.

Can you do flex fuel and E85 without upgrading the fueling?
~40 to 50 hp with headers and tune. LT4 doesn't require a bunch of fuel system upgrades for E85 and depends on how many other mods you add in before the low side runs out. Maybe someone else can chime in as to when that is. I just sold my flex sensor this week as I never put it on before selling the car, but was definitely going to be my 1st mod other than the small stuff.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #7
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

My Red Hot 1le had 65 miles on it when I bought it. My hellcat had 7.

I know it's ideal to get one with as little miles as possible but don't let that be an influence in this case. 40 miles is nothing dude so I wouldn't consider it during this process.

I'll give you my quick opinion on the two cars. THEY ARE TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT animals. They are each incredibly capable of doing what they are built to do.

It's like comparing a motorcycle to a car. The hellcat is a blast to drive for completely different reasons than the ZL1.

Hellcat = sledge hammer that wants to pummel your senses into dust

ZL1 = samurai sword that is as precise as you want it to be while having a hell of a good time.

I'm lucky I can afford both. Hard to pick between the two.

Pretty much the only way to do it is to ask yourself..... Do you want a car that handles like a fighter jet (Zl1)?

OR

Do you want a car that is like ridding a wild bull that wants to kill you while making you have the time of your life. Slamming you against the seat with tons of torque and HP and making every possible sound a car can make to make a car guy fall in love.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:56 PM   #8
bigmike32172

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quite honestly from what I've seen & felt after installing the Roto-Fab on my 2017 ZL1 was about 20RWHP, nothing noticeable with the Mamo TB, and only a slight sound increase with the secondary cat delete.
bigmike32172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:15 PM   #9
newchevyman

Drives: 2017 Camero ZL1
This build thread has ported blower with stock cam/pullies. If you chip away bolt ons can make quite a difference.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530511
2007 Z06 H/C/I/E Half Mile - 169 MPH. Sold.
newchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:35 AM   #10
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
I am bias so I won't say but my zl1 1le is garnet red lol.
I see you live in Long Island. I will be down visiting my folks during 4th of July week if you get one let me know.
I plan on putting at least 800 to the tire. I have ARH 2" long system headers and a Nick Williams 103 in the box, currently have borla x pipe and corsa axle back on the car and a cai going on Tuesday. Plan on a Whipple and either port injection or LPe direct injection setup heads cam pullies what ever it takes to meet the goal.
As of Saturday, I'm in contract with a new house so I can't do anything until that whole process is done.

800 rwhp is a nice place to be. I wonder how the Tony Mamo ported TB compares to the 103 Nick Williams piece? I'm assuming at that power level, the larger TB would be ideal.

I remember reading somewhere that the Weapon-X port injection system made over 800 rwhp just on boost on a LT4 CTS-V. Stock heads and cam.

Quote:
~40 to 50 hp with headers and tune. LT4 doesn't require a bunch of fuel system upgrades for E85 and depends on how many other mods you add in before the low side runs out. Maybe someone else can chime in as to when that is. I just sold my flex sensor this week as I never put it on before selling the car, but was definitely going to be my 1st mod other than the small stuff.
That's pretty big gains, that's what I saw on my G8 GT with the addition of headers. I'm surprised it gains that much, the Tri-y manifolds should flow much better than the older manifolds that used to be used.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
My Red Hot 1le had 65 miles on it when I bought it. My hellcat had 7.

I know it's ideal to get one with as little miles as possible but don't let that be an influence in this case. 40 miles is nothing dude so I wouldn't consider it during this process.

I'll give you my quick opinion on the two cars. THEY ARE TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT animals. They are each incredibly capable of doing what they are built to do.

It's like comparing a motorcycle to a car. The hellcat is a blast to drive for completely different reasons than the ZL1.

Hellcat = sledge hammer that wants to pummel your senses into dust

ZL1 = samurai sword that is as precise as you want it to be while having a hell of a good time.

I'm lucky I can afford both. Hard to pick between the two.

Pretty much the only way to do it is to ask yourself..... Do you want a car that handles like a fighter jet (Zl1)?

OR

Do you want a car that is like ridding a wild bull that wants to kill you while making you have the time of your life. Slamming you against the seat with tons of torque and HP and making every possible sound a car can make to make a car guy fall in love.
I know, that's why the decision is so difficult. Both a sledge hammer and Samurai sword appeal to me lol. What do you find more enjoyable to drive? I know the Hellcats have crazy stupid potential with bolt ons, but forgetting about the numbers for a second, what do you enjoy driving more? I'm interested in the qualities that can't be put into numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newchevyman View Post
This build thread has ported blower with stock cam/pullies. If you chip away bolt ons can make quite a difference.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530511
Thanks for the link, it looks like it's possible to make over 600 rwhp without throwing pullies into the mix.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #11
Blackdevil77

What is the most mild pulley option for our cars? I think I saw a 2.4" pulley option on the Weapon-X thread. What would the gains be with a 2.4" pulley, Tony Mamo ported TB, ported blower and tune? Appearance wise, the engine bay should look stock.

Also, I know there are positives and negatives to everything. What are the negatives to porting the blower? Is the structural integrity compromised?
Old 06-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #12
Stealthjr

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 1969 Camaro SS
Quote:
I just sold my flex sensor this week as I never put it on before selling the car, but was definitely going to be my 1st mod other than the small stuff.
Wait...what? You sold your car??

Stealthjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #13
Firehead640
DEVLMAN

Drives: White 2018 ZL1
I'll add my $0.02 since this is something I have been looking into as well. From what I've gathered, as mentioned above, you are looking at very little without modifying anything significant. Throttle bodies/CAIs like to offer that you get a bunch of horsepower from them, but my experience tells me that isn't true(numbers can back it up). Only time you're looking at those doing anything for you is when your AFR is already way off because you aren't receiving enough air in the mixture. That type of stuff only seems to compliment heavy modifications to other parts.

Best low-impact bang for your buck sounds like doing a pulley, upgrading/adding heat a exchanger, then getting a tune. Everything else is sounds like more work for little gains. Cheapest and most efficient route for more power. The only thing I can't attest to is longevity of the parts if you do modifications like that.
Firehead640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #14
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehead640 View Post
I'll add my $0.02 since this is something I have been looking into as well. From what I've gathered, as mentioned above, you are looking at very little without modifying anything significant. Throttle bodies/CAIs like to offer that you get a bunch of horsepower from them, but my experience tells me that isn't true(numbers can back it up). Only time you're looking at those doing anything for you is when your AFR is already way off because you aren't receiving enough air in the mixture. That type of stuff only seems to compliment heavy modifications to other parts.

Best low-impact bang for your buck sounds like doing a pulley, upgrading/adding heat a exchanger, then getting a tune. Everything else is sounds like more work for little gains. Cheapest and most efficient route for more power. The only thing I can't attest to is longevity of the parts if you do modifications like that.
My experience is similar as well. I'm just looking for an extra 50 rwhp if I can get it while looking totally stock under the hood. That's where the ported TB, super mild pulley and tune idea came from. I don't want to spin the tiny factory blower too much faster.