Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 06-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
POLISHED THROTTLE BODY and INTAKE SPACER

Hey guys I just love this forum. I also have a 2017 2LT RS with the 3.6 motor. I purchased the car last year in October and have been doing tons of research on Mods that the dealership wont complain too much about because they said ANY mods will void the warranty (which is B.S)
Anyway... here is a list of what I did:
1. Airaid Jr Intake
2. Airaid highflow air filter
3. Airaid throttle body spacer and spiralmax intake fins
4. 2X Aeroturbine MUFFLERS (now JONES EXHAUST) behind the exhaust valves.
5. Mishimoto modified catch can routed to each manifold.
6. Ported and polished TB and flanges removed from the inside of the
upper intake manifold.

I will posts some pics of what I did so that everyone can see a little later on today.

I was reading all the posts about the TB spacers as being wasteful and to choose the 80MM throttlebody instead. However, I had already purchased the spacer and wanted to give it a try. The airaid unit is the only one on the market that fits behind the throttle plate for our 2016
to 2018 V6 engines. I have to admit that it works as advertised for the $150 spent. it causes the car to pull much harder. Throttle response is much better without any type of electrical controller or even a tune. and it helped alot with that sorry 1st gear lag. I also added an old spiralmax unit (basically a turbonator but smaller). You can actually make them out of thin sheet metal so dont spend $40. This was inserted BEFORE the throttle plate and once again the car pulled HARDER. I swear my gas mileage was also increasing. Of course I am using the butt dyno but how a car feels and performs is the ultimate test!

Sooooooo....I then went to YouTube and looked up how to dremel and modify the TB and decided to polish it up using a dremel tool, sandpaper, and aluminum polishes. I also removed the plastic air baffles inside the plastic manifold thanks to reading the posts on these threads about the Overkill ported kit. All I can say now is OMG the car feels like a rocket in 1st gear. I flat out floored it on the highway and there is constant power through the entire rpm range in all gears. No CELs or engine problems!

Here is my perspective on how they work. if you have highflow intake and muffler mods then the TB spacers will add on to your overall power. if you do them by itself then you will only get a modest gain. I am estimating that I am getting an extra 25 at the wheels with everything.

Finally I really, really, really need an NA tune. I have the HPTuners software and interface already. I I'm hoping that someone already had been using HPT and can provide some guidance or baseline tunes. I am constantly checking the tune repository on their website with no luck yet.
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #2
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
I would say that the polishing of the Tb and the removal of the air grid in the upper intake manifold did add a measurable difference in rear wheel hp, ie, a gain that would be shown on a dyno.. I don’t think the spacer has added any measurable gain, although it may help with throttle response. It is not possible that you have gotten a 25 rwhp gain with the mods you have added. An Overkill tune adds 22 rwhp. So I think apolishing of the Tb and removing of the airgrid did not give more than an ecu reprogramming by the best v-6 tuner in the country. It is fun to make your car perform better, and I will say that you have done that. Good luck with your modding and tuneing
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
I personally second the spacer ordeal. never have I seen a spacer before the manifold be beneficial to any amountable gains. under the intake manifold, yes, as the velocity increases... but between manifold and TB, not really anything as most spacers aren't wide enough. at best its a good area to add a vacuum port or some sort of injection nozzle for meth, water, nitrous, etc...

the spiralmax, has been shown numerous times to decrease HP, dyno tested MANY times.

especially and mainly mid range and upper rpm, as its a restriction in the tube. the tube is there to flow air. if you start adding all sorts of gimmicks in em to make turbulence in the air, you reduce performance.

basic bottom line, on any performance car will you see anything in the air tract. I mean nascar and other BOP balance of performance sanctions run plates that restrict air to take away power...which is essentially what those do.

if a tube is to flow 300cfm at WOT, and you throw some contraption to swirl air in there, the mass of the turbonator/spiralmax, then reduces the flow to lets say 265-275 cfm. that's detuning an engine in its simplest form. higher velocity allows for more air to flow, anything in the way slows it down and works against getting air flow. not to mention the turbulence those were designed to create were from port injected engines... the LFX and now LGX are direct injection, meaning no air and fuel mix until in the combustion chamber... so turbulence in the air intake tract is a waste since theres no pre-mixing. velocity and air speed means more flow. hence the reason with ported manifold, the idea is to remove the venturi tabs that stick out, as its a restriction. ported manifolds work, and the whole idea is to remove anything in the way of air flow...not add things to the air ways...

outside of those two things, all else seems solid.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 06-23-2018 at 10:17 PM.
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
BOYD3800SII

Yes they are a very small restriction but the car definitely picks up power through all rpm ranges and down low too. I think I will go to the local dyno shop and see what the car is actually doing. maybe I can do a before and after run... if anyone can suggest a tuner with HPT then please let me know. I am willing to pay for it as well as it is valid.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
I would say that the polishing of the Tb and the removal of the air grid in the upper intake manifold did add a measurable difference in rear wheel hp, ie, a gain that would be shown on a dyno.. I don’t think the spacer has added any measurable gain, although it may help with throttle response. It is not possible that you have gotten a 25 rwhp gain with the mods you have added. An Overkill tune adds 22 rwhp. So I think apolishing of the Tb and removing of the airgrid did not give more than an ecu reprogramming by the best v-6 tuner in the country. It is fun to make your car perform better, and I will say that you have done that. Good luck with your modding and tuneing

Hi Kenny Camaro
Have you ever looked into the design of the drivers side exhaust manifold on the 2016 and up V6 where it changes size drastically to clear the steering shaft.
Attached Images

lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #6
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
Yes they are a very small restriction but the car definitely picks up power through all rpm ranges and down low too. I think I will go to the local dyno shop and see what the car is actually doing. maybe I can do a before and after run... if anyone can suggest a tuner with HPT then please let me know. I am willing to pay for it as well as it is valid.
Yea id have to see some dyno sheets or time slips to believe that. Over two decades of independent tests on those things that have shown nothing if not a loss in actual power....

Its like people claimed throttle controllers made the car quicker, and i dont doubt it changed the feel, but they havent added power on a dyno, nor have any 0-60s become any quicker.

Most of my tests have been done via time slips. Tryong something and seeing times consistently drop a few tenths. Then you know.

With all due respect, For those of us that have done testing on cars, kenny hit the nail on the head... most know you arent gonna gain 25 whp with the basic additions you added. Restrictions usually reduce power, or in the least stiffle off your top end. As said thats why we seek to get rid of em

Will be waiting to see what your before and afters show.

For tuner, as kenny has mentioned will at overkill, is a v6 go to with lgx experience. Ive talked to steve at rdp as well a while ago.

Applaud the efforts. Gluck with your goals.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 06-25-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:34 AM   #7
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Yea id have to see some dyno sheets or time slips to believe that. Over two decades of independent tests on those things that have shown nothing if not a loss in actual power....

Its like people claimed throttle controllers made the car quicker, and i dont doubt it changed the feel, but they havent added power on a dyno, nor have any 0-60s become any quicker.

Most of my tests have been done via time slips. Tryong something and seeing times consistently drop a few tenths. Then you know.

With all due respect, For those of us that have done testing on cars, kenny hit the nail on the head... most know you arent gonna gain 25 whp with the basic additions you added. Restrictions usually reduce power, or in the least stiffle off your top end. As said thats why we seek to get rid of em

Will be waiting to see what your before and afters show.

For tuner, as kenny has mentioned will at overkill, is a v6 go to with lgx experience. Ive talked to steve at rdp as well a while ago.

Applaud the efforts. Gluck with your goals.

Thanks for that! I used an app on my smartphone yesterday to run a zero to 60 time and I got 5.02 seconds. Its hot down here in Memphis and I did the run on a street that was not flat and the AC running. I see that there are apps for HP and Torque also, but I am not for sure how accurate they are. This weekend I will take the car to a spot that has a flatter surface and see if I can do some runs with and without the spacer and air fins. The car flat out hauls @SS and that's what I really care about. The local dyno here in Memphis also specializes in HPT software so I will see if they can do the LGX engine and if not then I will see just what a dyno session costs. Any other suggestions are always appreciated but even I know that I am pretty much at the limit with mods on the car that I can "get away with" while it is under warranty
Old 06-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
Thanks for that! I used an app on my smartphone yesterday to run a zero to 60 time and I got 5.02 seconds. Its hot down here in Memphis and I did the run on a street that was not flat and the AC running. I see that there are apps for HP and Torque also, but I am not for sure how accurate they are. This weekend I will take the car to a spot that has a flatter surface and see if I can do some runs with and without the spacer and air fins. The car flat out hauls @SS and that's what I really care about. The local dyno here in Memphis also specializes in HPT software so I will see if they can do the LGX engine and if not then I will see just what a dyno session costs. Any other suggestions are always appreciated but even I know that I am pretty much at the limit with mods on the car that I can "get away with" while it is under warranty
Cell phone i dont trust as much on accuracy. Unless you have a external gps whmith high sampling, or a stand alone data logger being run through the phone or odb2 port to the phone.

If you have a a 6th gen, the accelerometers in the 0-60 that's already in your car will more than likely be more accurate than a cell phone app.

Its in your dash and you control it by the right toggle directional on your steering wheel. Its already tapped into various car systems. Theres 0-60, 0-100, and more performance tests you can do. Its built into the car. Even g forces.

Plenty of mods you can do to increase efficiency. Plenty. One simple one is wrapping exhaust pipes to keep the heat inside flowing hot and not cooling down. Theres also removing the spring loaded valves towards the rear another restriction.

Dont forget suspension. Fe2 stuff is soft and sloppy. Cradle bushing lockouts and if serious, diff bushing lockouts allow you to put more power to the ground and not wasted in the soft sloppy rubber bushings.

Plenty of small things to do that many overlook

Old 06-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Cell phone i dont trust as much on accuracy. Unless you have a external gps whmith high sampling, or a stand alone data logger being run through the phone or odb2 port to the phone.

If you have a a 6th gen, the accelerometers in the 0-60 that's already in your car will more than likely be more accurate than a cell phone app.

Its in your dash and you control it by the right toggle directional on your steering wheel. Its already tapped into various car systems. Theres 0-60, 0-100, and more performance tests you can do. Its built into the car. Even g forces.

Plenty of mods you can do to increase efficiency. Plenty. One simple one is wrapping exhaust pipes to keep the heat inside flowing hot and not cooling down. Theres also removing the spring loaded valves towards the rear another restriction.

Dont forget suspension. Fe2 stuff is soft and sloppy. Cradle bushing lockouts and if serious, diff bushing lockouts allow you to put more power to the ground and not wasted in the soft sloppy rubber bushings.

Plenty of small things to do that many overlook
Hey man that's great stuff right there! I will try the one on my dash next time and compare it to the phone for S&Gs. Has anyone actually seen any improvement (even the slightest) with the removal of the exhaust valves without replacing the entire exhaust from the CATS back to the muffler? I have to admit that they are kinda dumb, but I don't know if removing them will affect the engine switching or set CELs without a tune. The only suspension mod that I currently have is a ZZP tower strut brace. I also purchased some slotted and drilled brake rotors but the car stops on a dime with the stock ones. I'm just gonna wait until warranty goes before I do anything else that might give me grief. Car only has 6200 miles on it. I don't plan on any other suspension parts because the car handles like a dream. GM really did a wonderful job with this platform.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
BOYD3800SII

I am God-Awful about remembering to post pics. it has been stupid hot here in Memphis and just too uncomfortable in my garage to quickly take off my intake mods. Here is the exhaust system with 2 of the Jones Exhaust Turbine mufflers (Part# JT2525) and the Misimoto catch can placement.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #11
BOYD3800SII

one more pic...
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #12
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
I would actually be interested in a sound clip with those Jones Turbine mufflers I believe you are probably a first on the 6th gens to try them.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:30 PM   #13
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
I would actually be interested in a sound clip with those Jones Turbine mufflers I believe you are probably a first on the 6th gens to try them.
OK I will see if I can upload a sound clip this evening when I get home
Old 06-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #14
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Here ya go... I posted to YouTube. The exhaust is still stock back to the valves. Only thing changed is the mufflers. The sound is really mello but the acceleration, gas mileage, and performance is amazing.
I used the same type on my Pontiac G6 GXP.

https://youtu.be/uB3y4XHGsFU