Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-02-2022, 11:30 AM   #1
HP Hog

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 (stock)
Critique my Drag Racing Technique (Video included)

I was not able to get into the 11's. Car is completely stock. Running new Goodyear eagle f1 supercar 3.
-I normally do like a 5 second burnout (My tire temperate has never said "warm".
-I am on the Competitive mode (sport mode and then two presses of the TC button). I don't feel like it is cutting power.
[edit] I'm running 26 psi like the performance manual says and I have my suspension set to 'tour'.

I'm not really sure if I'm being too throttle happy at launch or not enough.
The strip is kind of sketchy and there is no way to go around the water. It's just some dude with a hose spraying the ground. Not sure how much that is affecting things. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Video: https://youtu.be/v2bkN0VD-3g

60': 2.134
330': 5.504
1/4 mile ET: 12.216
1/4 MPH 122.05

Last edited by HP Hog; 05-02-2022 at 11:11 PM.
HP Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:40 PM   #2
Duramacr1
2Spdsy

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 A10
Race the car in Tour mode . With street tires , go around the water box and a small burnout in front of it . Drop the air to 22psi and launch off of idle. Both traction control and stabitrak off like what your doing.
Duramacr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:03 PM   #3
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
My critique, dont double light the other guy, it's one of those unwritten rules

Always prestage (1st light) then wait for him to prestage before you light 2nd one
Old 05-02-2022, 05:59 PM   #4
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
Your mph says you should be in the 11s, your 60 ft is killing you. Should be 1.85 or maybe better. Dont know what a stock zl1 gets for 60ft in ideal conditions, but for me a 2.1 60 ft is with a LOT of spin... 2.1 60 ft says you arent launching hard enough, but track conditions have to support it too. Cant get that 60ft on a watersoaked track from having water dragged out to the start.

If you are comfortable with it, turn off all the nannies by holding down the tc button for 7 seconds or so. Stability control was prob dialing back the power... competitive mode really isnt that helpful at the dragstrjp.
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:08 PM   #5
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
You also want to launch sooner.

Lift off the brake when the last yellow illuminates.

For my M6, I usually leave at the second to last bulb. By the time you react, and your car starts moving, you will be closer to when the green light actually fires.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:15 PM   #6
HP Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post

Always prestage (1st light) then wait for him to prestage before you light 2nd one
I had no idea this was a thing. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2022, 11:20 PM   #7
HP Hog

My understanding is that the stability control is pretty forgiving in competitive mode. I'm a little afraid to turn it off completely, just in case thing go haywire. Could that really be holding be back? I mean my back end wasn't coming out at all... or is it really that sensitive even in competitive mode?
Old 05-02-2022, 11:25 PM   #8
HP Hog

BTW, how common is it for a drag strip to not have a way to go around the water? Driving through the water was always known as a no-no to me. Does it really negatively affect things that much? I'd assume it makes a difference but there were some pretty hardcore drag racing cars out there.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:35 AM   #9
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Hog View Post
BTW, how common is it for a drag strip to not have a way to go around the water? Driving through the water was always known as a no-no to me. Does it really negatively affect things that much? I'd assume it makes a difference but there were some pretty hardcore drag racing cars out there.
I've never been to one here in So Cal that didn't...All the tracks here I've been to have always been big enough to drive around the box. I also agree that your 60' could be improved. Hell, my old Monte Carlo with 20" 8.5 wide HRE wheels and a very large stereo system,were able to pull 2.0 60s. You certainly should beat that.

Did you feel any spin off the line? I will admit the track does appear low budget but that didn't stop the car to the left of you getting off (albeit better tires). Also seems you sat in the water box rather than roll out of it, i could be wrong...You have to feel what the car is doing before anyone could help here...just my 1cent.

Last edited by Mac7504; 05-03-2022 at 03:09 AM.
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:49 AM   #10
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post

This is hilarious af. When I was younger and green, I used to do this constantly. However no one told me anything, and I started to notice I would be in a brake torque for way to long, look over, and the other guy wasn't even ready. Lol. I learned quickly that something was off. I didn't know at the time the other racer only had 7 to 10 seconds to light the bulbs after I was staged. Good times!
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:36 AM   #11
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
Quote:
My understanding is that the stability control is pretty forgiving in competitive mode. I'm a little afraid to turn it off completely, just in case thing go haywire. Could that really be holding be back? I mean my back end wasn't coming out at all... or is it really that sensitive even in competitive mode?
It will start doing things to preempt any sideways motion. It will do things before you even notice. Im not sure if its the trans tune or stability control, but it sounded like 1st gear short-shifted.

Re waterbox... The front tires will drag water out of the box toward the start because you dont burn it off the fronts... so i usually do a stationary burnout, but carry it forward a carlength or so at the end to make sure im not picking up water the front tires dragged out. Anything left after that should cook off from the heat... but pulling around the waterbox is best.

Dont burn out IN the waterbox either as it will sling water around the rear wheel well which can drip back down... the liners are pretty absorbent though, so prob not a huge deal.

Also looked like you were completely stationary for the burnout, and were at a dead stop at the end. You may be picking up tons of tire shreds and marbles that will glue themselves to the tires. A moving burnout out at the end can help scrub them off.
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:55 AM   #12
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperformance View Post
Im not sure if its the trans tune or stability control, but it sounded like 1st gear short-shifted.
He lifted off the throttle part way early in the run. These automatics are very sensitive, and they do some weird shit. My own A8 SS on street tires at the dragstrip, was spinning in 2nd gear then it short shifted to 3rd gear, then it did not shift to 4th at the normal spot either.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:13 AM   #13
Yosh6

Drives: 2024 Toyota Camry XSE
Quote:

You've gotten some good advice here; but you are limited at Little River, one of the oldest and narrowest tracks in Texas. It is impossible to drive around the water in either lane. For what it's worth, I've had better results in the left lane, consistently. Slicks and drag radials need the water and need to do a burnout to build some heat in the tires. Street tires, not so much. Try NO burnout, and/or a short one (IMO debatable as to whether a burnout helps or hurts street tires). Roll through the water, half way to the line do a quick spin of the rear tires just enough to sling the water off, then stage (top bulb first, called courtesy staging). As said, if you do a burnout, just let off the brake, stay on the gas and roll out of the box with the tires spinning. If you are only interested in your et, going on the last yellow light is not an issue. If you want to WIN the race, that is a totally different issue with lots of possible strategies (a lot of drag races are won or lost before the light goes green). For best et light the second bulb, as shallow as humanly possible. What does that look like? The light flickers a few times and then stays fully lit.

Last edited by Yosh6; 05-03-2022 at 07:45 AM.
Yosh6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:39 AM   #14
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
General drag racing stuff, agree with courtesy staging (prestage and wait for opponent to prestage before you fully stage). Next, the guy in the Redeye, did he actually pull off the left side of the track before the left-hand exit of the track? Because for me, etiquette would be that the guy on the inside gets the turnout first, unless you are WAY WAY WAY ahead of him.

As far as your run, reaching full throttle sooner and staying there would be part of the solution. Clean quick launch with no throttle hiccups will put you way in the 11s IMO.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote