Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #267
JT Camaro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
he has, GM just wont do anything about it :(
JT Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #268
2010RSIOM

Drives: 2010 RS LLT M6
Mine too! Cracks on both sides of passenger airbag. Mine's a 2010....built 11 of 2009. 43k miles. Guess its time to call dealer...and GM
2010RSIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #269
rsjewel

Drives: 2011 RS/2SS Red Jewel
my efforts stalled?

8 months ago, called GM customer service and the dealer "i bought the car from" both said the right thing, but when it came down to it, nothing would be fixed unless i paid for it!

funny when i first contacted the dealer they acted like this is the first time it has happened, told them to look at the used camaros' on there lot, 2 of the 4 they had had cracked dashes!
rsjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #270
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Hmm. Seems insane that the lifespan of a part that big, and, that costly to replace, is less than five years, especially for vehicles in northern states.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #271
rsjewel

Drives: 2011 RS/2SS Red Jewel
its actually not a crack!

its actually not a crack! its the seam lightly scored area underneath, where the air bag comes out! which is even worst if you think about!

Maybe a more descriptive word would be "splitting" of the dash!

Last edited by rsjewel; 01-06-2015 at 11:56 AM.
rsjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #272
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
There is no seam. It's just a thinned/weakened section that should not fail like that. Who knows what kind of problems that will cause when the air bag deploys...
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #273
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
There is no seam. It's just a thinned/weakened section that should not fail like that. Who knows what kind of problems that will cause when the air bag deploys...
You know they won't do anything about it until 10-15 people get hurt or worse like the Takata air bags. This country and businesses don't do any action until some one gets hurt or killed.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #274
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I was just talking to my brother about this thread and I looked at his dash while riding with him. Sure enough one smallish crack in a similar location on the passenger side. So far mine is clear, but I get to park in a parking deck during the day at work.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #275
JT Camaro

When i spoke to my dealer and District Manager about it i also pointed out the potential danger of a compromised passenger airbag. They still refused to look at it.

I told them they better hope i never get in an accident with a passenger or they will have yet another giant lawsuit on their hands....GM just doesnt give a damn
Old 01-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #276
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
I still find it funny that back when the car was first introduced, lots of people complained about how much hard plastic was in the interior. The common answer to that complaint is that GM knows that people keep Camaro's forever and the hard plastic will last forever, unlike other softer materials.

Less than 4 years into production, dashes started cracking.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #277
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
Is it just me or is the dash cracking issue only on 2010 Camaro's and not 2011-2015.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #278
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with the material that the dash is made of that causes it to crack on its own. I learned many years ago that the enemy of plastic (which the dash is made of, aka vinyl) is heat and sun. I have always kept a set of sun shades in my car. Every time I exit the car when it is outside, I put the shades in, even on cloudy days. Even to run into the store for a minute. None of my current cars have any sign of anything wrong with the dash and one is nine years old.
Where I live the summers are very hot with periods over 100 degrees. So ask yourself, do you use sun shades?
My 2000 Focus never gets garaged, always sits in the sun and never had a dashboard cover nor a sunshade and the dash is perfect.
A lot of these Camaros with cracked dashes are driven much more rarely, garaged, have sunshades and covers and are taken care of way better than my Focus, and their dashes are cracking. There is too much stress at the air bag, that's the reason they crack not anything else. The material is simply not good enough.

I'd consider purposely getting it to crack to get a free one under warranty but it's simply not worth it since they'll probably cause more problems during install and it will be the exact same material because they haven't updated the part, meaning it only buys you a few more years. Unless a lot of people complain to GM about this nothing will get done, and I doubt that will happen so everyone's either gotta pay up or slap a cover on it.

It's not a safety issue, so they don't care.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #279
2010RSIOM

Drives: 2010 RS LLT M6
All I know is it sucks...no car dash should have cracks at 43k miles. And some of you have cracks even earlier. Poor engineering. Safety or not, it should be a recall with a replacement that fixes the problem. These cars are way to expensive to have this issue. Hell, mine stickered at $44k. Notice the GM reps stopped chiming in on this thread...pathetic! I dont think a recall for this will bankrupt them again or hurt the image anymore then it already is at this point. Cheapskates!
2010RSIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:15 AM   #280
JT Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
My 2000 Focus never gets garaged, always sits in the sun and never had a dashboard cover nor a sunshade and the dash is perfect.
A lot of these Camaros with cracked dashes are driven much more rarely, garaged, have sunshades and covers and are taken care of way better than my Focus, and their dashes are cracking. There is too much stress at the air bag, that's the reason they crack not anything else. The material is simply not good enough.

I'd consider purposely getting it to crack to get a free one under warranty but it's simply not worth it since they'll probably cause more problems during install and it will be the exact same material because they haven't updated the part, meaning it only buys you a few more years. Unless a lot of people complain to GM about this nothing will get done, and I doubt that will happen so everyone's either gotta pay up or slap a cover on it.

It's not a safety issue, so they don't care.
how do you know its not safety?