Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #15
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Your call. For a DD, I would and have recommended a 6h gen over a 5th. If you keep the 5th gen as a toy, I could see doing all your mods, but not for a 10 yr old + DD. Just MHO and totally your decision.

Yeah, the toy is my Harley, the Camaro is the DD..... That's why the paranoia is getting stronger. I don't want to end up on foot when, or if, the car starts suffering age induced breakdowns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
When I read your post I think the biggest question I would have is if that car is your only daily driver. If it is then trading to something newer makes sense. If you can make the 5th gen a secondary car, fix and paint it up with the savings in car payments you aren't making. That would be my thought process anyway.

I'd love to have a 2nd car for a toy, but that's hard to justify. Truth is, I need something else already. I don't have wife/kids to carry around, but I have 2 dogs....and going home to visit family is difficult because my stuff plus their stuff, is a pretty full car.... especially if I'm taking guns for hunting.... which brings me to the fact the car doesn't work in the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron8879 View Post
Roadwarrior, you have been on the forum as long as me. Remember the excitement of getting our 5th gens. I got rid of mine and I still regret it. I love my 6 gen and will hold on to this one......I recommend keeping the 5th gen as a weekend/toy car.... work on it as time and money allow to make it what you envisioned it to be.....get a 6th gen as your DD so the 5th gen can now rest after doing such a great job for 10 years.

Yeah, it was like having a ferrari. The attention was awesome. There was so much I wanted to do to the car... but never did. So much needed to be pretty much all at once. If I did headers, I needed a new air intake and tuning, but all at once would've been been nearly 2 grand, and I never could seem to put back that money... it ended up getting spent elsewhere.
A clean 5th Gen is still sexy as hell and I love them.... but mine isn't clean, its rough, and generic. a 6th gen is definitely sexy and aggressive too.
I like them both. I want them both. .... but I'll still need to occasionally carry more cargo, be able to tow my Harley, or go hunting..... 2 vehicles and bike is unrealistic enough, but 3 and a bike is downright impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4824guy View Post
I think any car with 159k miles would be soon due for upcoming mechanical problems from normal age related problems and will likely cause big repair bills. Even the defects you have now with the car will cost money to have them repaired if you want them fixed, and the problems will continue to get worse, it is bound to happen. I would recommend, if it were me, to see what the car is worth and get a plan to sell to or trade it in for something newer with less miles.

You pretty well captured my concern.
I did the math.... for me to upgrade to a more modern CD/Radio, add the minimal bolt on performance parts i want, add GFX, and repaint/fix dents/scratches, I would be looking at $6,000 to 10,000.. depending how simple to elaborate I go with it.
Thats just to get the car up to speed to where I wanted it all along.
Then let there be any mechanical failures and that price climbs.

At this age, and mileage, it is probably only worth 12-13k... and thats without subtracting for the dent in the rear quarter..
So as much as I do still love 5th Gens, and I know that if kept clean without scratches or dents, it will still be pretty for another decade easily, I feel like it would be irresponsible of me to put almost the value of the car back into it.... just to risk it breaking or getting hit and not making it those 10 more years.

What I want....
A nice camaro, with minimal performance/cosmetic mods that is eye catching and impressive, but not something that is full on car show material, or necessarily track worthy....... plus a Jeep that can take me hunting when necessary plus haul extra cargo or passengers when needed...... and my Harley.

I'm not terribly antsy on the Jeep, and figure that I can either A. fix my car up and then get a used jeep in 2 years or so or B. get a used 16-18 SS (manual) and push the jeep out until 3.5-4 years down the road.
But it goes back to the ultimate debate between putting more money into what I have now to bring it back to life.... or putting extra more money into a newer, nicer version that I will presumably be equally as happy and excited with and wont have to be worried about possible damage or loss of value.

This weekend I'm going to take a test drive or two.
Next weekend I'll see what Carmax thinks my car is worth.

Then I'll really have to sit down and debate.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #16
Kyrac0103
Kyrac

Drives: 2018 2SS A8
I felt the same way when I had my 13 V6 Camaro, did not like the 6th gen at first but it kind of grew on me after awhile... Finally after driving by this white 6th Gen 2SS for a few months parked outside my local dealer I finally decided to stop in and check it out, have to tell you, damn glad I did because this car is unbelievable... My 5th gen was nice and I really loved it but this 18 2SS was worth every penny I paid for it (and my old car was paid off too), I did not want any payments but have absolutely no regrets going into a 6th gen... Take it for a test drive and I think you will feel the same, good luck whatever you decide!!!
Kyrac0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:36 PM   #17
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
How about a used sedan for DD and the camaro as a project and weekend car.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:49 AM   #18
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
If you are looking at trading up, and you want an auto, I would wait until the A8 is gone.
Even if you are going for manual, it makes sense to wait and see what the 7th gen looks like. You are under no pressure to upgrade now. Bide your time and make the right choice as your next camaro COULD be your forever car.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:07 AM   #19
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Dude, you live once and you probably work hard. Treat yourself to a nice, new, car. You've gotten your use out of it over the last 160k miles and a decade's worth of time. 6th gens are sexy.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:56 AM   #20
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I agree Deki! My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #21
Bayles76

Drives: 16 Summit 2SS, 92 Arctic Formula
The 6th gen's are just better all around cars compared to 5th gens. Especially if your are daily driving it like I do mine 90% of the year.

My 16 2ss is for sale if you are interested.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551211
Old 06-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #22
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
-My car is paid for, and that is always a great reason to keep it instead of taking on a new payment...... but, its got 159,000 miles and I'm paranoid about when it will finally start to show age and need costly repairs.

-I've got a big dent in the rear quarter from a deer hitting me, and there's plenty of scratches, door dings, and rock chips all over the rest of the car. (I've been quoted at $1k to fix the dent and paint the quarter, $3.5k to repaint the car and paint stripes back on)

-The stock HIDs are shot. I regularly think my lights are off at night, even though they are on. When a car is behind me, I leave a shadow on the road/cars ahead of me. (replacing those lights doesn't seem to be even remotely cheap from what I have read)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
So as much as I love my car, I question the value in putting so much work and money into it now...... especially with the risk of somebody hitting me and totaling it just after I drop 30-40% of the car's current value back into it.
30-40% might even be a conservative estimate depending on what might go wrong in the future in addition to any cosmetic or any other things you want to fix. Because of how high mileage the car is, it may only be worth something in the low teens at this point. The quote for repainting the car sounds extremely low and would probably not be the best quality.

It sounds like you've had a very good run with this car, and it's probably time to move onto something else in general regardless of what it is. If you really liked the 5th gen, you can find a 5th gen ZL1 with low mileage for very good prices these days. However, at this stage you'd probably be somewhat bored of what's essentially the same car and would appreciate the creature comforts that the 6th gen offers. Because you obviously drive your car a lot, I would say just go for a 6th gen if you want to enjoy a modern daily driver.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #23
Turbo18

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels Camaro 2SS
I had a 2010 mint Gen 5 RS Camaro for a couple of years and loved it. Was a great car. Only sold it because I fell in love with a 2018 Hot Wheels and got the SS - lots of fun !

Given the mileage/condition and age of your car, while I'm sure you're attached to it, financially it makes little sense to put any more cash into it. You'll get little if any of it back. And you'll still have a 10 year old high mileage car.

The Gen 6 is a great car and if you liked the Gen 5 and you'll REALLY like the Gen 6. Like all cars, they depreciate and I would suggest searching for a low mileage, late model used Camaro. Let someone else eat the 30% first year depreciation lol.

Good luck !
Turbo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #24
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo18 View Post
I had a 2010 mint Gen 5 RS Camaro for a couple of years and loved it. Was a great car. Only sold it because I fell in love with a 2018 Hot Wheels and got the SS - lots of fun !

Given the mileage/condition and age of your car, while I'm sure you're attached to it, financially it makes little sense to put any more cash into it. You'll get little if any of it back. And you'll still have a 10 year old high mileage car.

The Gen 6 is a great car and if you liked the Gen 5 and you'll REALLY like the Gen 6. Like all cars, they depreciate and I would suggest searching for a low mileage, late model used Camaro. Let someone else eat the 30% first year depreciation lol.

Good luck !
This is what I did. I knew I wanted a 6th gen and looked new, almost bought a 2019 1 LE V6 for 29K. the 29K was a great price but I end up finding a 2016 1LT V6, 6 speed manual with only 6K miles for 19K. It's not a 1LE but I don't have any payments and it's practically brand new. Perfect for my daily driver.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #25
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
As for me I understand you reluctance. Financially you are much better off with the Gen 5 for sure. But that is alot of miles. How about a 5th gen ZL1? They are awesome and probably the best modern Camaro value with very slow depreciation right now. They are hard to find.

After owning both I am thinking of going back to a 5th gen if my ZL1 sells. They are a better car, but the CA6 is a better sports car. Cramped and not very ergonomic. The 5th gen is better looking and the interior is much better looking but with crappy materials.

Mag ride is no big deal for me, but the CA6 electronic NPP is better than the 5th gen vacum driven NPP.

I am not knocking the latest Camaro, they are all world class sports cars. But I do miss my 5th gens more than my '16 2SS M6. If GM did not buy back my 5th gen ZL1 when they did I would still have that car. I hated the Recaros though, the CA6 Recaros are great.

The biggest drawback to me of the 5th gens is a not so great headunit. But maybe you can put an android in it now. I have one in my 2012 rav4 and it is pretty cool. Unlike you I prefer the 14-15s, but that's just my opinion and it has a slightly better head unit.

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2019, 01:43 PM   #26
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
160k miles? That thing has served you well. Retire her and enjoy a new one.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #27
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
6th Gen, no contest. 5th Gen is an awesome car but between driving them both, the 6th Gen is FAR superior. Drive one for a day and you'll quickly see what I mean.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #28
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
There's benefits and drawbacks to both. The 6th gen has the hp advantage, tech advantage, weight advantage, it has 8 or 10 speed automatic transmissions for automatics which ultimately should equate to better fuel mileage and magnetic ride on a SS is living the dream.

The 5th gen is an awesome car as well though. It has more interior room, trunk room, is easier to work on under the hood (more space to access things), yours is paid for, and personal opinion, I think the car looks better (neither looks bad, I just prefer the 5th gen).

If you're thinking your car is getting long in the tooth and you want to stick with a Camaro, a 6th gen is a great way to go. If I were to spec one, new or used, I'd look for one with magnetic ride because it does make that much of a difference. I'd also aim for one with NPP exhaust as there's now companies that make aftermarket exhaust that function like the NPP if you want to change the catback up later. After that, I'd pick a 2SS and I'd prefer a 6 speed manual as many 8 speed automatics have had shuttering issues.

Whichever way you decide to go, best of luck and be sure to post some pictures.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote