Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 04-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
302Blue

Drives: 2017 Camaro V6 1LE
FYI: Radio can be muted by hitting the steering wheel "Cancel Voice Command" button

After more than a year of having the car I happened to click the Cancel Voice Command button by accident when pulling over for an ambulance and noticed that if you're not using the Voice Command system it actually just acts as a mute button (just like the power button on the radio unit).

I'm probably just an idiot and ya'll already knew this, but I just figured I'd share in case anyone didn't know. Could be useful for when you're trying to talk to a passenger or something. I'm a fan of any well-placed steering wheel control just so I don't have to take my hands off the wheel as much. I never actually use the voice command system, but I'll use the button for this.
302Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
SilverCamaroVert

Drives: 2019 LT3 RS Convertible
Cool. Will try.
SilverCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
FYI: every new car comes with this book called an owner's manual and it teaches you how to use the car and all of its many features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Every new car comes with this book called an owner's manual and it teaches you how to use the car and all of its many features.

Reading is hard.
Typing on the internet is easier.

Neat tip tho

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
I previously discovered this by accident
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
headgamez

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302Blue View Post
After more than a year of having the car I happened to click the Cancel Voice Command button by accident when pulling over for an ambulance and noticed that if you're not using the Voice Command system it actually just acts as a mute button (just like the power button on the radio unit).

I'm probably just an idiot and ya'll already knew this, but I just figured I'd share in case anyone didn't know. Could be useful for when you're trying to talk to a passenger or something. I'm a fan of any well-placed steering wheel control just so I don't have to take my hands off the wheel as much. I never actually use the voice command system, but I'll use the button for this.
Thanks for the tip!!!
headgamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #7
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Off the wheel, the audio power button on my 18 will mute the system
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #8
302Blue

***Please see arpad_m's response below, it is listed in the 2018 manual under the intial summary and detailed control description sections***

Quote:
FYI: every new car comes with this book called an owner's manual and it teaches you how to use the car and all of its many features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post
Reading is hard.
Typing on the internet is easier.

Neat tip tho
Alright, so I'm not trying to start something because I know these are both said jokingly but I just wanted to point out two things real quick:

1) I read the manual actually, the day before I picked the car up. Unfortunately, I don't think you can just say that everyone should remember everything in their manual, especially a year or more later. So while it's great to consult when ya need it and when you first get the car so you know how to work all the settings and stuff, I don't think anyone's gonna be constantly re-reading it looking for new stuff.

2) With that said, I think I actually would've remembered and used something like this. So I went and checked and didn't find anything about the cancel call button acting as a mute button. So, yeah, I could easily be wrong, please go ahead and try and find it. But at the very least it's not obviously printed in the infotainment/audio section, and maybe this post can tell someone something that they didn't already know. It's not like this post is super hurtful by having here on the forum; you can just ignore it and move on if you already knew about it.

Idk, I just can't see how you could you'd be able to say we should know about this from the manual since the only non-phone/voice function I found listed for it in the infotainment/audio section was a "Cancel Action" function. You can't tell me someone's supposed to read that and automatically know that means it's an extra Audio Mute button.

For everyone else though, when I was reading through the manual I was reminded of a lesser-known feature that I've used constantly throughout the summers (if you have auto-start I guess it's kinda irrelevant though). All modern Hondas all do the same thing too btw:

Quote:
Remote Window Operation - This allows the windows to be rolled down by pressing and holding unlock button on the transmitter. See Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) System Operation in Vehicle Settings to Select Off or On.

Last edited by 302Blue; 04-14-2019 at 02:31 PM. Reason: arpad_m's response
Old 04-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
302Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Off the wheel, the audio power button on my 18 will mute the system
Yup, that's the normal mute button. Tap to mute, hold to power off the radio. The steering one is just an extra one that's a tadbit more convenient when actively driving.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
Here's another little known feature that's not mentioned in the manual....if you never do a burnout, your original tires may last as long as two plus years! I drive like a little old lady and I just replaced my tires at 40,000 miles. The tech at Chevy said I may have gotten another 1-2000 miles but best to replace them now for safety sake.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #11
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Thanks Captain Obvious!
Douche.
Sarcasm or not his comment wasn't necessary. Srctsc..... His name speaks for him doesn't it?
Anywho....Thanks for the reminder tip. I've got 5k on my girl and that whole dash can be visually overwhelming. I've read the infotainment guide 2x and still refer to it. I'm more focused on the drive, the lack of visibility and how she sounds. Esp at night. SO I'm with ya on the simple tips. Just finding that sort of thing can be a challenge. And don't get me started on the hands free calling that can never, NEVER get the number right! Zebra Corner nailed it when the actor said "Siri, Open maps" and the system responded with Gorilla Masks. The whole video is a freakin' hoot.

https://youtu.be/xTfS0nAgfuE?t=50

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
302Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueUnicorn View Post
Thanks Captain Obvious!
Douche.
Sarcasm or not his comment wasn't necessary. Srctsc..... His name speaks for him doesn't it?
Anywho....Thanks for the reminder tip. I've got 5k on my girl and that whole dash can be visually overwhelming. I've read the infotainment guide 2x and still refer to it. I'm more focused on the drive, the lack of visibility and how she sounds. Esp at night. SO I'm with ya on the simple tips. Just finding that sort of thing can be a challenge. And don't get me started on the hands free calling that can never, NEVER get the number right! Zebra Corner nailed it when the actor said "Siri, Open maps" and the system responded with Gorilla Masks. The whole video is a freakin' hoot.

https://youtu.be/xTfS0nAgfuE?t=50

Ah man I'm completely with ya on the visibility. I love my car, but god does it feel like you're crammed into a fighter jets cockpit rather than a car with windows everywhere. Half the time I wish they had cut off the top of gauge cluster just so I could feel like I had more visibility.

Also Zebra Corner is freaking great, his joke about the teen driver mode is my favorite one in the series lol. Say what you want about GM's cars, but their marketing team is a goddamn joke. Zebra Corner could probably make better commercials than they could.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #13
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:

I was thinking this same thing..

just waiting for someone to post about changing the infotainment screen by swiping the stereo from right to left
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #14
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302Blue View Post
The manual doesn't list every single thing y'all. This is one of those things.
Truth is, it does list this feature, at least my 2018 manual does, both in the initial summary and the detailed control description sections.

The post was still douche-y and absolutely unhelpful. I apologize on behalf of members from NJ.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, buttons, fyi, lpt, steering wheel controls