Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #15
SilverCamaroVert

Drives: 2019 LT3 RS Convertible
An interesting thing occurred to me while considering the crossover points that Bose/GM chose.

Are we going to get really messed up imaging by putting a typical component set in place? That 6x9 is quite low. My morel's cross over at 3200Hz. The tweeter is rated for 1800-22k. That's well into directional frequencies.
SilverCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #16
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCamaroVert View Post
An interesting thing occurred to me while considering the crossover points that Bose/GM chose.

Are we going to get really messed up imaging by putting a typical component set in place? That 6x9 is quite low. My morel's cross over at 3200Hz. The tweeter is rated for 1800-22k. That's well into directional frequencies.
There’s a a good reason.
Consider the frequency range of the typical human voice. It may sound a little unnatural, especially if a male voice changes key, it would shift from the driver in the door to the driver in the dash. It’s not good for imaging.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:36 AM   #17
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:

I installed 2-way components and for me it sounded like the midrange was too low. Which it was, since there were tweeters in the dash instead of widebands, and all the midrange was produced down by my ankles. A 3 way with mids in the dash and tweeters in the A-pillars should solve the problem.

I'm curious about the Hybrid Unity U2 & U69- they are drop-in replacements for a tweeterless setup. The crossover is set at 500hz.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #18
SilverCamaroVert

Yeah. I've put the brakes on my install. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Your solution of 3 way is probably the proper way to upgrade but I'm unwilling to make visible changes to my car. I don't really like aftermarket tweeter pods.

I'm hearing that the dash speakers aren't quite 3.5" so that makes it difficult to source a proper full range 2 way dash speaker.

To your point about the Unity setup. Would those U2's really perform without a tweeter? The price point with the u69's definitely pushes my budget up but if it would preform without cutting holes in my car, I might try it.

Last edited by SilverCamaroVert; 03-24-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #19
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Yeah. I've put the brakes on my install. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Your solution of 3 way is probably the proper way to upgrade but I'm unwilling to make visible changes to my car. I don't really like aftermarket tweeter pods.

I'm hearing that the dash speakers aren't quite 3.5" so that makes it difficult to source a proper full range 2 way dash speaker.

To your point about the Unity setup. Would those U2's really perform without a tweeter? The price point with the u69's definitely pushes my budget up but if it would preform without cutting holes in my car, I might try it.
I have no idea as I haven't heard them. The 6x9 should give deeper bass than a typical 6.5" because of the cone area.

drfeelgood had the 2.7" U2 in the dashboard locations for a short period of time before replacing them with L2SE.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #20
SilverCamaroVert

> $500 for the pair. Tough pill to swallow especially unknown.

drfeelgood, is it a worthy upgrade? Is it passible for a non-audiophile without a tweeter? 15w for that u2. Will it be loud enough with the top down?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 AM   #21
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
> $500 for the pair. Tough pill to swallow especially unknown.

drfeelgood, is it a worthy upgrade? Is it passible for a non-audiophile without a tweeter? 15w for that u2. Will it be loud enough with the top down?
I was just going to respond to you.. sorry, swamped seeing patients right now, when I get a break I will respond.

http://store.12velectronics.com/u2-2...e-speaker-set/

as you can see here, running the set together, with appropriate crossover, recommended power is 20-150 watts

I had a LOT of power going to my U2, and blew it . I then upgraded to the L2SE, put even more power to it. I would put my 3 way setup with the L1V2, L2SE, and L6SE up against anyone else's system, my top down vs their car closed in. It sound that good, loud, clean, crisp, zero distortion... buuuuut, at this point I'm over $15k into the audio in this da*n car...

As to the question of will the Y2 play well without tweeters, the answer is yes. Check the link for the frequency response curve, which Hybrid shows for every single driver they produce.

Also, the fact that you are firing off glass in the factory location, it will reproduce highs no problem at all!
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #22
SilverCamaroVert

Thanks for the info! I'm slightly in panic mode as my car is ripped to shreds in my garage and want to button it up before long. (It's actually over 50 out!!!)

Wow, 20-150! They rate it at 15w RMS with 30w peak "with no crossover". If I cross it over at 300Hz, I guess it can handle more? I would like to NOT blow it. I have a 4 channel 100x4 RMS at 4ohm I bought to run the Morels active. Would that be safe?

I already bought said Morels. Do you think it would be ok to use the Tempo Ultra 6x9 from those, leave the rest in the box and get the U2?

I looked at the Freq Response curve earlier. It looks like it excites a bit from 2-9k and then drops off from 9 -11k. It's that 9-11k drop that made me question performance without a tweeter. I don't care too much above 15k. I doubt I can hear it anymore anyway.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #23
drfeelgood

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I'm slightly in panic mode as my car is ripped to shreds in my garage and want to button it up before long. (It's actually over 50 out!!!)

Wow, 20-150! They rate it at 15w RMS with 30w peak "with no crossover". If I cross it over at 300Hz, I guess it can handle more? I would like to NOT blow it. I have a 4 channel 100x4 RMS at 4ohm I bought to run the Morels active. Would that be safe?

I already bought said Morels. Do you think it would be ok to use the Tempo Ultra 6x9 from those, leave the rest in the box and get the U2?

I looked at the Freq Response curve earlier. It looks like it excites a bit from 2-9k and then drops off from 9 -11k. It's that 9-11k drop that made me question performance without a tweeter. I don't care too much above 15k. I doubt I can hear it anymore anyway.
Yes, it will handle more crossed at 300hz
Yes, that amp will be fine if running the system together, I had 200watts going to the tweet and midange... it was too much for the midrange
Yes, I am a fan of bespoke setups, I think its worth a try going with the 6x9 morels and get the U2
remember this was tested in a listening room, that's why I mentioned firing off glass. I do not think it would adequately produce those frequencies as well fired on axis (The L2Se and L3SE are both designed to be played without a tweeter. Scott won a sound quality competition with a midbass and 3.7" full range 2 way setup without a tweeter to prove the efficiency of his SE line!
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

Old 03-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #24
SilverCamaroVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
Yes, it will handle more crossed at 300hz
Yes, that amp will be fine if running the system together,
To clarify, I would plan to run the U2 off of channel 1&2 and the 6x9's off of channel 3&4. That would be 100 going to each speaker.

What did you do to mount the U2 out of curiosity?

Thanks again!
Old 03-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #25
drfeelgood

Quote:
To clarify, I would plan to run the U2 off of channel 1&2 and the 6x9's off of channel 3&4. That would be 100 going to each speaker.

What did you do to mount the U2 out of curiosity?

Thanks again!
I always overpower my drivers. I like to have a lot of headroom. Amps don't work as hard, and the SQ is better. I have seen SQ setups where someone ran JL 750/1 to EACH driver individually. If tuned properly, headroom is not a bad thing.

I will say that this is typically done on an active setup with DSP and 32 band EQ on each driver. Without that level of attenuation, you may run into problems.

The U2 is a perfect drop into the factory dash location, zero modification of brackets necessary.

Honestly, Hybrid Audio is a different kind of company. For many reasons, I think it is the best audio company in the US, given quality of products, attention to detail, and customer service.

https://hybrid-audio.com/contact/

Contact them and discuss your concerns, and see if you can speak to Robert Morrow himself. Hybrid doesn't employ 16 just anyone in the tech department, so you will get good and honest feedback about what will or will not be best for your setup!

Old 03-28-2019, 06:58 AM   #26
SilverCamaroVert

Still haven't decided on drivers. But what have you guys done for dash speaker wires? There aren't harnesses. I hate to cut them off and there is very little room to work there already for crimping or soldering.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #27
SilverCamaroVert

Bit the bullet and ordered the Hybrid u2 and 6x9.

No input on front speaker wiring?
Old 03-31-2019, 01:55 PM   #28
drfeelgood

Quote:
Bit the bullet and ordered the Hybrid u2 and 6x9.

No input on front speaker wiring?
So sorry,

I really hope you enjoy the U2 and 6 x 9 combo. Also, regarding the speaker wires, i have attached a photo of the original setup (we have changed it twice over now). The principle remains the same

Toslink from NavtTV >> H8
RCA's from H8 >> amplifiers
Speaker wires from amplifiers >> crossovers (for tweeter and 2.7" dash midrange)
Speaker wires from crossovers >> cut wires AFTER Bose amp, leading to the speakers.

We did not run full length new speaker wires to the doors and to the dash.
Attached Images