Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 02-12-2019, 12:58 AM   #1
miatatony

Drives: 17' V6 1LE
GM intake and tune or aftermarket 93 octane tune

So I'm looking for a little bit more power for my 17' v6, after some research it seems like the GM intake and tune is highly recommended and seems to get a noticeable improvement in response and some power. I'm wondering if I'm eventually going to get an aftermarket 93 octane tune, would the GM intake provide any benefit? I assume the aftermarket tune would override the GM one, and I'm not sure how much the actual physical intake improves power. Maybe I should skip the GM intake altogether and just get a trifecta tune?
miatatony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:18 AM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
The tune you're talking about is just a MAF tweak, not a full on complete tune
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
Get an Overkill tune. You will see some gains with the GM intake but not massive gains. You could also cut a hole on the bottom of your stock airbox to get more airflow if you’d rather go with just a tune.
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #4
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
The tune you're talking about is just a MAF tweak, not a full on complete tune
It is a tune. There is more changed other than the sensitivity of the MAP. Drivability, tip in, low end power, is all changed. Small increases and will not yield the gains of a 93 tune from overkill but still worth the money.

Also the GM intake and tune will retain the warranty in most states, the overkill can cause issues in some situations at some dealers.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
It is a tune. There is more changed other than the sensitivity of the MAP. Drivability, tip in, low end power, is all changed. Small increases and will not yield the gains of a 93 tune from overkill but still worth the money.

Also the GM intake and tune will retain the warranty in most states, the overkill can cause issues in some situations at some dealers.

Ok I was told differently then. If what you're saying is completely true, then the price is a steal since it's not much more money than some cold air kits alone
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #6
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
The vast majority of the difference a cai makes for any of these cars is squarely on the filter. You can get most if not all of the benefits of a cai kit (since our stock intake is already a cai) just by throwing in a drop-in K&N. The CAI kits are almost entirely aesthetic. Less filtering == less back pressure == better throttle response and it's the throttle response that people feel when they say it's making a difference. The peak power differences are so small they wouldn't be noticeable to anything but a machine.

The tune is where your major changes can be made (even if peak power is not moved much). Now, I've never seen anyone throw some code up of the updated GM tune vs stock but it's always just been called a calibration change by GM so the best anyone can say about it is that that's all it is. Everything else is guesswork without evidence. With Overkill's or Trifecta's tune (i have trifecta's since 2016), you know a significant amount of changes are being made. And i know with the trifecta's you also have transmission tuning changes (at least for the 2016).

So i'd say, pick the cai that makes you happiest to look at (because that's what it's primary function will be ) and get a tune regardless of what you do. Overkill's are more flexible since you're basically buying hp tuners so you can even start tuning it yourself if you want ...trifecta's is purely remote/pre-done. But i dont know if overkill does TCU tuning, which kinda sucks for you since the 2017 requires sending your tcm in to be unlocked first i think...but you get a much more significant driving change with TCU programming than you can get just by ECU tunes.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
CamaroGen6

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
I messaged Trifecta about how their tune would install with a GM PP CAI. Their response is that it will override the GM Tune but returning to "stock" will actually be returning to the GM Tune. Also their tune is octane adaptive allowing you to run on 93 or 87.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post

I bought the GM CAI for my 2SS. I pulled a copy of the factory tune with HP Tuners before and after installation. Then I ran the Compare function with HP Tuners. The only difference I saw was the MAF calibration. YMMV.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote