Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 09-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust on V6

Here is a short video I made of the Flowmaster exhaust on the V6. It includes stock exhaust and also open pipes (no muffler) for comparison. I just installed it today so don't have much time with it yet, but it sounds really good so far. I don't notice any drone yet. It is much louder at idle and 5-7k rpm than stock.

https://youtu.be/UJYyb-4hIj4
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:53 AM   #2
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Sounds good! That’s definitely my favorite exhaust for the V6’s. Where abouts in Indiana are you from? I’m down by Evansville.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #3
RxSummit16

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
I installed this system back in May and love it.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
6sigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
Sounds good! That’s definitely my favorite exhaust for the V6’s. Where abouts in Indiana are you from? I’m down by Evansville.
I'm west of Indy. Looks like we have a very similar car! What spoiler do you have? I've got the wing spoiler, which is like the blade but extends out to the side.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
I'm west of Indy. Looks like we have a very similar car! What spoiler do you have? I've got the wing spoiler, which is like the blade but extends out to the side.
I have the stock RS lip spoiler for now. Would like an SS style at some point.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
6sigma

Quick update on the exhaust now that I've had some time with it. It has a good tone and volume without being too loud under normal driving. It sounds good on startup. I really like the pop and crackle when off the throttle. It is very loud from 5-7k rpm but not too loud under 5k. No drone in the cabin but you can definitely hear it louder than the stock exhaust inside.

The mufflers themselves are painted black so you can't see them under the car. I wasn't sure if I'd like that, or prefer a polished stainless muffler. After seeing how they mount I like the black mufflers. The polished tips look a lot like the stock tips and fit almost exactly the same.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Quick update on the exhaust now that I've had some time with it. It has a good tone and volume without being too loud under normal driving. It sounds good on startup. I really like the pop and crackle when off the throttle. It is very loud from 5-7k rpm but not too loud under 5k. No drone in the cabin but you can definitely hear it louder than the stock exhaust inside.

The mufflers themselves are painted black so you can't see them under the car. I wasn't sure if I'd like that, or prefer a polished stainless muffler. After seeing how they mount I like the black mufflers. The polished tips look a lot like the stock tips and fit almost exactly the same.
Couldn’t agree more! I was baffled when others on here were claiming these mufflers drone, they absolutely do not. I’ve had mine for probably almost a year and I love it, way more than the one I had on my 2013. I haven’t ‘heard’ the Borla in person but I can’t imagine it sounds much better than this and I certainly was fine with saving the $300-400
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #8
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
Borla S-Type owner here, just thought I'd chime in with a real world example of how the axle back sounds to give you something to compare to.

JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
Borla S-Type owner here, just thought I'd chime in with a real world example of how the axle back sounds to give you something to compare to.

Sounds good! I liked the borla S and the Atak but thought the Flowmaster sounded as good (in video clips) and I was able to get it for just shy of $400. I would have to hear them side by side to be honest.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
Sounds good! I liked the borla S and the Atak but thought the Flowmaster sounded as good (in video clips) and I was able to get it for just shy of $400. I would have to hear them side by side to be honest.
Where did you find the flowmaster for under $400?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #11
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
I’ve never heard the Flowmaster on the V6 in person but I tend to like their V8 exhausts. I think a company would really have to try to make the LGX sound bad, the only thing you have to worry about is drone - I know with my Borlas I have absolutely none and from what you guys are saying here, the Flowmaster doesn’t either. You can judge for yourself but personally I think the S-Type has plenty of volume and tone.

That G37 AWD is quick off the line with those PSS tires lol
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
6sigma

Here is the Flowmaster video with driveby sound for comparison -

https://youtu.be/nLlujR-QK9g
Old 10-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #13
Tech@Flowmaster

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Here is a short video I made of the Flowmaster exhaust on the V6. It includes stock exhaust and also open pipes (no muffler) for comparison. I just installed it today so don't have much time with it yet, but it sounds really good so far. I don't notice any drone yet. It is much louder at idle and 5-7k rpm than stock.

https://youtu.be/UJYyb-4hIj4
I checked out your video and your Camaro sounds great! I was surprised by how much the tone changed when it was straight-piped. Thanks again for posting, you got a big "thumbs up" from us and a little love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxSummit16 View Post
I installed this system back in May and love it.
We're excited to hear that you love your Flowmaster American Thunder! Thanks for your support.

Quote:
Couldn’t agree more! I was baffled when others on here were claiming these mufflers drone, they absolutely do not. I’ve had mine for probably almost a year and I love it, way more than the one I had on my 2013. I haven’t ‘heard’ the Borla in person but I can’t imagine it sounds much better than this and I certainly was fine with saving the $300-400
Thanks for your support Camarolover85!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
I’ve never heard the Flowmaster on the V6 in person but I tend to like their V8 exhausts. I think a company would really have to try to make the LGX sound bad, the only thing you have to worry about is drone - I know with my Borlas I have absolutely none and from what you guys are saying here, the Flowmaster doesn’t either. You can judge for yourself but personally I think the S-Type has plenty of volume and tone.

That G37 AWD is quick off the line with those PSS tires lol
To help combat interior resonance (drone) we developed a custom resonated muffler for the V6 application that we felt produced the best exhaust note while still providing for a performance advantage over stock.

- Jason @ Flowmaster
Tech@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:18 AM   #14
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
Where did you find the flowmaster for under $400?
It was some holiday sale around here and I called around and it was like $390. I forget where I got it, I’d have to find the receipt.