Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-31-2018, 07:00 PM   #15
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
I disagree with that thought. The hosrepower rating and gas mileage #'s are based on 87 octane, there are no notations anywhere saying that the advertised power/torque and gas mileage figures are based on anything but 87 octane. There isnt even a note that 87 octane is Ok but 91 is preferred. To get the V6 into the highest timing table you have to run 93 octane all the time. For highest power/torque and gas mileage, run 93. The factory timing table's have to be very conservative as these little motors are running 11.5 to 1 compression and is tuned to run on 87. Spark knock city on a warm day with a manual trans on 87 octane, retard, retard, retard timing = a no balls V6
I had quite a bit of knock using 87 in 90+ temps during the summer. I have no clue how Chevy got their performance data, not sure I've seen a completely stock V6 running a 5.1 to 60.
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:20 PM   #16
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
I had quite a bit of knock using 87 in 90+ temps during the summer. I have no clue how Chevy got their performance data, not sure I've seen a completely stock V6 running a 5.1 to 60.
My manual 1LT V6 with a borla x pipe connected to the stock system just ran a 13.5 1/4 mile on the factory 18 inch M&S rated tire and no other mods. I was able to pull a 2.0 60ft time also indicating a good launch. This car runs on nothing but 93 octane.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #17
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
i have only used 93 and my v6 pulls to 120+ mph without any hiccups
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:08 PM   #18
Mr_Jones
DaBatMan

Drives: "Candi" 2018 2LT RS M6

Current Wives: 2018 Camaro 2LT RS MT / 2008 Avalanche 5.3L AFM

Ex-GF's: 2010 VW CC Lux 2.0T/ 2004 Mazda RX-8 GT MT/ 2001 A6 3.0T MT/ 2001 Navigator / 1995 Accord EX MT
Mr_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 PM   #19
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Other thread on this:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440726

In it, someone claims that on the last generation V6, LFX, somebody checked and the engine was in fact pulling timing on 87 octane. When they changed to 91 (or 93)? that went away. It didn't result in any significant dyno gains but subjectively people felt that the power delivery was smoother. Whether that translates into any real world benefit, I don't know.

But it kind of sucks to put 87 in your V6 knowing that it is pulling timing. I'm not sure if thats proven with the LGX but its a good bet that's the case.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:59 PM   #20
Walter_

Drives: 2018 1LS Camaro
The v6 is direct injection it is rated at 87. See below for how it does it.

Direct Injection (DI)
As the name suggests, DI involves injecting fuel directly into the cylinder. While this system does provide greater control of the combustion cycle, that is not the greatest benefit of DI.

Because it is sprayed directly into the cylinder, and not warmed first in the manifold on the other side of the intake valve, gasoline entering the cylinder actually cools the combustion chamber. This cooling effect reduces the chances of fuel “pre-ignition,” which has two significant benefits.

First, DI improves engine efficiency by allowing the use of higher compression ratios. Simply, the mixture of air and fuel can be squeezed more tightly by the piston before it is ignited—this allows for a more complete fuel burn and thus better energy utilization.

Second, the need for more-expensive, higher-octane fuel is reduced. A fuel’s octane level determines its resistance to pre-ignition. As DI reduces the occurrence of pre-ignition, it enables an engine that might otherwise need premium fuel to run on mid-grade or regular-grade gas.
Walter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #21
Bob RS

Drives: 2019 Camaro RS 1LT
Running on 87 octane

Chevrolet claims of 0 to 60 at 5.1 is pretty much on target. I have tried numerous times on 87 octane in my 2019 camaro rs v6 but my problem is the lack of rear traction and the car pulls very hard. My best time to date is 5.2 but this camaro fills like it can hit or break the 5 second mark. Unfortunately I didn't record the 5.2 but I did with the last run which was 5.3.Name:  20210723_045949.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  215.0 KB
Bob RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #22
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob RS View Post
Chevrolet claims of 0 to 60 at 5.1 is pretty much on target. I have tried numerous times on 87 octane in my 2019 camaro rs v6 but my problem is the lack of rear traction and the car pulls very hard. My best time to date is 5.2 but this camaro fills like it can hit or break the 5 second mark. Unfortunately I didn't record the 5.2 but I did with the last run which was 5.3.Attachment 1075874
5.2 is my best as well. I've had a couple 5.3's, and most commonly 5.5-5.6 overall. Oddly enough 87 vs 93 doesn't seem to make a difference for me, but it is definitely noticeable in my girlfriends LFX Impala. In her car I can actually feel a difference in tip in throttle for sure. It's definitely not a placebo either, because it will light up the tires much more easily. I thought it was kind of strange how much more the LFX seems to respond than this LGX with 93
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:07 PM   #23
s2mikey

Drives: Buick, Toyota
So - I just ordered a V6 and while its going to be a while until I get it, was curious if there is any benefit to running ethanol-free fuel which around here is 90 octane? Or is the 93 with octane the way to go?
s2mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:30 PM   #24
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
So - I just ordered a V6 and while its going to be a while until I get it, was curious if there is any benefit to running ethanol-free fuel which around here is 90 octane? Or is the 93 with octane the way to go?
By running premium all the time (especially during the warm months) the V6 tune will always be in the max timing tables for max power and efficiency. Run 87 octane during the cold months when your not looking for max power.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:45 PM   #25
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_ View Post
The v6 is direct injection it is rated at 87. See below for how it does it.

Direct Injection (DI)
As the name suggests, DI involves injecting fuel directly into the cylinder. While this system does provide greater control of the combustion cycle, that is not the greatest benefit of DI.

Because it is sprayed directly into the cylinder, and not warmed first in the manifold on the other side of the intake valve, gasoline entering the cylinder actually cools the combustion chamber. This cooling effect reduces the chances of fuel “pre-ignition,” which has two significant benefits.

First, DI improves engine efficiency by allowing the use of higher compression ratios. Simply, the mixture of air and fuel can be squeezed more tightly by the piston before it is ignited—this allows for a more complete fuel burn and thus better energy utilization.

Second, the need for more-expensive, higher-octane fuel is reduced. A fuel’s octane level determines its resistance to pre-ignition. As DI reduces the occurrence of pre-ignition, it enables an engine that might otherwise need premium fuel to run on mid-grade or regular-grade gas.
The 6th gen camaro 3.6 V6 has 11.0 to 1 compression ratio, that and high heat and especially with a manual trans is a recipe for spark knock with 87 octane. Spark knock sensors (very sensitive ones) retard spark at any hint of spark knock because of that 11 to 1 compression ratio. Retarding spark is timing loss or reducing timing which = power loss plain and simple. The car has high timing tables and low timing tables in the ECM. Forget 0-60 times, run the the car down the 1/4 mile on a track. My 6th gen manual trans 1LT base V6 camaro ran 13.5 on the stock all season tires and everything bone stock with a very steady diet of 93 octane. Let me hear from a manual trans guy running 87 octane only on a bone stock 6th gen V6 camaro in no less than a 1500-2000 DA day who has done better.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:37 PM   #26
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Just to clarify the LGX in the Camaro is actually 11.5:1. Although I've never seen a difference in 0-60 times (87 vs 93) I'd be curious if there's a difference in say really hot summer temps and/or several back to back runs where an engine could see some definite heat soak
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:46 PM   #27
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I think if I own a V6, I would just be using regular unless I am hitting the track, then I will bump up to premium for some safety margin.

The easiest thing to do is just to get a Bluetooth OBD2 capable of reading live data and then read the knock retard. That will answer all your questions. Maybe your local gas is crappy enough to warrant mid-grade, maybe not.

And 11.5:1 isn't that high of a compression nowadays. Mazda Skyactiv engines have 13.0:1 compression ratio and run on regular gas just fine. Granted, they have a few tricks to make it work and their engines are more geared towards economy nowadays, but IMO the octane maps will play a bigger role than compression will on an NA engine.

The other thing is, I have two accounts locally that tell me that their V6 burns about the same amount of gas as my V8 in stop-and-go traffic, so their only saving grace is that they need regular. If their gas mileage is that bad in the city and you are feeding it premium... Why did you buy a V6 again?

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:09 PM   #28
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Just to clarify the LGX in the Camaro is actually 11.5:1. Although I've never seen a difference in 0-60 times (87 vs 93) I'd be curious if there's a difference in say really hot summer temps and/or several back to back runs where an engine could see some definite heat soak
I thought it was, but I wasnt positive as I had the car a few years ago. 11.5 to 1 makes the car even more timing sensitive, meaning the tune has to be very conservative on 87 octane. Monitor timing degrees on a fully heat soaked dyno pull with 87 octane, than run the car for hard a few miles on pure 93 octane or disconnect the battery to allow reset and do some dyno pulls and monitor the timing degrees, you will see more timing and more power at the same heat soaked temps. 0-60 times is just too short of a run to notice any difference. Do a full 1/4 mile pass and study the time slips.