Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Phastek Performance

Old 02-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #29
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Ted,

Can you speak on how your tunes affect the dreaded "M6 bog" pulling out in 1st gear? On my 18 SS 1LE it's quite annoying and was wondering how big of a difference it will make. Do you recommend any other bolt-ons to help with this issue or will a tune 100% take care of it?

Thanks,

Mark
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #30
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
Ted,

Can you speak on how your tunes affect the dreaded "M6 bog" pulling out in 1st gear? On my 18 SS 1LE it's quite annoying and was wondering how big of a difference it will make. Do you recommend any other bolt-ons to help with this issue or will a tune 100% take care of it?

Thanks,

Mark
I know I will probably get flamed for this but here is my take.

I hear people talking about this all the time, I drive hundreds of Gen6 camaros and ZL-1s including my own, with the M6 and I have yet to experience any bog maybe It is my driving style.

Bogs are typical when a clutch is engaged to quickly and not smoothly with any car and I don't see anything special about this model.

There is only so much torque any engine can produce at 1000 rpm and it is easily overcome with too much clutch with no tire slippage.

Something has to give either the clutch must slip or the tire must slip or any engine will bog when coupled too quickly.

In drag racing I leave the starting line at 7000 rpm full throttle, My clutch has to slip all the way to the 60 ft clocks or my tires will spin or my engine will bog.

It is no different leaving from a traffic light only on a much smaller scale, clutch engagement must be smooth to match the road speed with the engine speed smoothly.

Basically the tire has to catch up to the engine with a smooth transition of the clutch.

Now on to a different take.

If the computer is pulling too much timing on launch then that can be addressed through logging and tuning.

Proper calibration can address a lot of weird things that people experience but we must first be able to duplicate the problem, Log the problem, Determine if it is Human error or calibration error then fix either.

This article also backs up what I am saying. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520373

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 02-13-2019 at 08:20 AM.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:58 AM   #31
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I know I will probably get flamed for this but here is my take.

I hear people talking about this all the time, I drive hundreds of Gen6 camaros and ZL-1s including my own, with the M6 and I have yet to experience any bog maybe It is my driving style.

Bogs are typical when a clutch is engaged to quickly and not smoothly with any car and I don't see anything special about this model.

There is only so much torque any engine can produce at 1000 rpm and it is easily overcome with too much clutch with no tire slippage.

Something has to give either the clutch must slip or the tire must slip or any engine will bog when coupled too quickly.

In drag racing I leave the starting line at 7000 rpm full throttle, My clutch has to slip all the way to the 60 ft clocks or my tires will spin or my engine will bog.

It is no different leaving from a traffic light only on a much smaller scale, clutch engagement must be smooth to match the road speed with the engine speed smoothly.

Basically the tire has to catch up to the engine with a smooth transition of the clutch.

Now on to a different take.

If the computer is pulling too much timing on launch then that can be addressed through logging and tuning.

Proper calibration can address a lot of weird things that people experience but we must first be able to duplicate the problem, Log the problem, Determine if it is Human error or calibration error then fix either.

This article also backs up what I am saying. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520373
Ted, let me see if I can explain my "bog" a little bit better. I should probably characterize it more as lack of throttle response. When modulating the throttle while pulling out, sometimes the car seems to lag behind what my foot is telling it to do. This is my first "drive by wire" vehicle and I do hear throttle response can be lacking. That's what I'm wondering, are you able to tune this issue out? It's not me, I've driven plenty of manual cars in my past. This one just likes to fall on it's face once in awhile while feathering the throttle pulling out.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #32
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Ted, let me see if I can explain my "bog" a little bit better. I should probably characterize it more as lack of throttle response. When modulating the throttle while pulling out, sometimes the car seems to lag behind what my foot is telling it to do. This is my first "drive by wire" vehicle and I do hear throttle response can be lacking. That's what I'm wondering, are you able to tune this issue out? It's not me, I've driven plenty of manual cars in my past. This one just likes to fall on it's face once in awhile while feathering the throttle pulling out.
These cars have several driving modes, default is rain/touring mode so change to track mode and let me know what you feel.

The throttle is more responsive as you toggle through the modes.

Ted.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #33
Kmeleon

Quote:
These cars have several driving modes, default is rain/touring mode so change to track mode and let me know what you feel.

The throttle is more responsive as you toggle through the modes.

Ted.
Will do, except it's hibernating for the winter for another 2 months or so

So if I run in track mode and things feel better... you can make that a constant through all modes after tuning?
Old 02-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #34
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Will do, except it's hibernating for the winter for another 2 months or so

So if I run in track mode and things feel better... you can make that a constant through all modes after tuning?
We have no control over the modes sorry.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #35
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
What is better tuner for the ss Camaro, hp tuners or sct in our opinion? I'm trying to learn the whole process, so down the line, when I do have someone tune it, i will know what to do and what is needed.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:02 AM   #36
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
What is better tuner for the ss Camaro, hp tuners or sct in our opinion? I'm trying to learn the whole process, so down the line, when I do have someone tune it, i will know what to do and what is needed.
It is not the device that has an effect on the end result is it the person banging on the keyboard.

Providing both software have the same capability then there is no difference.

Year model engine, trans and mod list have a very strong effect on my decision of which device I will use. 2016 Manual cars and all Gen5 cars the SCT X4 is my go to and is a Great choice.

2017 up and especially auto cars need to move to HPtuners for full support of ECM TCM tuning.

Ted.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #37
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I'm a manual 2017, do you still recommend sct? That's good to know, thankyou for the info, it is much appreciated
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #38
PlayingWithEvil

Drives: 2018 2SS
Hi Ted. Let me start this off by saying I'm in no way doubting your tuning skills or knowledge. From what I've seen on this forum the amount of positive feedback for you is enough to sell me your services. Now for the questions. I am to believe that for the absolute best tune you should tune the car on a dyno, being that 15 2017 Camaro SS's with A8 and the same bolt ons, all will behave slightly different and have a very small difference in tune. Do you feel this is true? I went to your site and checked on the price for the HPTuner and 4 credits with Minor bolt ons. I have not yet inquired with anyone local as to the cost of actual dyno tuning. I imagine tuning on a dyno would cost more. Would say the extra cost for actual tuning on the dyno is not worth it due to the limited modifications to the car? To be exact, 1 7/8 longtube headers, high flow cats to stock NPP muffler with a cai and possible ported throttle body. At this stage losing a few HP and saving a decent amount of money would always be nice.

Thanks Mike
PlayingWithEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:52 AM   #39
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayingWithEvil View Post
Hi Ted. Let me start this off by saying I'm in no way doubting your tuning skills or knowledge. From what I've seen on this forum the amount of positive feedback for you is enough to sell me your services. Now for the questions. I am to believe that for the absolute best tune you should tune the car on a dyno, being that 15 2017 Camaro SS's with A8 and the same bolt ons, all will behave slightly different and have a very small difference in tune. Do you feel this is true? I went to your site and checked on the price for the HPTuner and 4 credits with Minor bolt ons. I have not yet inquired with anyone local as to the cost of actual dyno tuning. I imagine tuning on a dyno would cost more. Would say the extra cost for actual tuning on the dyno is not worth it due to the limited modifications to the car? To be exact, 1 7/8 longtube headers, high flow cats to stock NPP muffler with a cai and possible ported throttle body. At this stage losing a few HP and saving a decent amount of money would always be nice.

Thanks Mike
Actually the best tune will be achieved on the racing course of your choice.

Getting the best tune is about 2 things Data collection and the Tuners, Experience and willingness to put in the work necessary to achieve perfection.

I don't think you will find anyone more experienced or dedicated to perfection.

As long as you have the tools, HPtuners, SCT or the like a wide band and are willing to put in your end of the work we can achieve perfection.

Ted.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #40
tom's2005gto

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 Convertible
^^^^ well said!
tom's2005gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #41
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom's2005gto View Post
^^^^ well said!
Thank you sir.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #42
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Good Morning, Contrary to the advertised HP gain claims on the market GM did not leave much on the table in the way of Peak HP, But there are definitely advantages to the tuning which help you get down the track faster and more enjoyable driving experience.

I make the engine run cooler which leads to more consistent performance.

I disable skip shift on the M6

I get rid of torque management for better throttle response.

I raise the rev limit 200 rpm over stock so you can shift at Optimum RPM without banging the limiter.

I remove the speed limiter.

I clean up the WOT fueling.

I optimize the spark tables for quicker acceleration.

I optimize shift times and pressures.

I reduce trans torque management to safe levels.

This is the foundation which goes in to all custom tunes.

Then of coarse tune for any aftermarket parts installed to make them work to there full potential.

Feel free to give me a call for more details on my custom tuning program via HPtuners.

Ted
So would all the above (for a 6spd) be accomplished in ALL the modes (Touring, Sport, Track & Race) or only in a certain mode?
For example, will the speed limiter be removed in any mode driven, or only in a particular mode...I know, redundant question...OCD!