Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #29
The_sim

Drives: 2016 2SS, NGM, M6, NPP, MRC
I've seen a couple videos about people painting the callipers without removing them off their car. Some of those are high end cars and the one video I saw that got Protective Film Solutions in LA to do it say it's the same quality as the Lambo factory job. Anybody here ever done it this way? I'de love to paint my rear callipers to match my 6 piston fronts but I would prefer not taking them off.
2016 2SS Nightfall Grey Metallic | M6 | NPP | MRC | NAV | Brembo 6-Piston Brakes | Rotofab Dry Filter w Sound Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Secondary Cat Delete | GM Front Splitter | C7 Carbon ZL1 Side Skirts | GM Taillights and Third Brake Light | Black Bowties and SS Badges | ZL1 Addons Deluxe Rock Guards | Diode Dynamics Side Markers | Sto N Sho Front Plate | All Bulbs Upgraded to LED |
The_sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:03 AM   #30
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_sim View Post
I've seen a couple videos about people painting the callipers without removing them off their car. Some of those are high end cars and the one video I saw that got Protective Film Solutions in LA to do it say it's the same quality as the Lambo factory job. Anybody here ever done it this way? I'de love to paint my rear callipers to match my 6 piston fronts but I would prefer not taking them off.
Check out Sledgehammer70 post here on the forum:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...hlight=Caliper

The G2 kits looks like they work very well, however I think the difficult part is trying to match the Brembo red on the front. I understand you can get custom colors from G2 but not sure how you would go about getting the match. I spent months ordering and comparing powder coat sample colors.

I'm thinking about going this route on my new GMC Canyon since I would be painting both fronts and rears.

Removing the rear calipers, reinstalling, and bleeding the brakes was not that big of a deal. Just a note of caution - plan on replacing the seals and get them ordered ahead of time. They were not something that is kept in stock either as OEM or aftermarket.

Let us know how your project works out.

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #31
The_sim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrankin View Post
Removing the rear calipers, reinstalling, and bleeding the brakes was not that big of a deal. Just a note of caution - plan on replacing the seals and get them ordered ahead of time. They were not something that is kept in stock either as OEM or aftermarket.
Bill,
I've been looking everywhere for the seals or calliper rebuild kit as they are sometimes referred to. Can you tell me where I could order them from? Part number?
Thanks!!
Found it!! It is 22968937.
2016 2SS Nightfall Grey Metallic | M6 | NPP | MRC | NAV | Brembo 6-Piston Brakes | Rotofab Dry Filter w Sound Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Secondary Cat Delete | GM Front Splitter | C7 Carbon ZL1 Side Skirts | GM Taillights and Third Brake Light | Black Bowties and SS Badges | ZL1 Addons Deluxe Rock Guards | Diode Dynamics Side Markers | Sto N Sho Front Plate | All Bulbs Upgraded to LED |

Last edited by The_sim; 02-01-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:45 PM   #32
wrankin

Quote:
Bill,
I've been looking everywhere for the seals or calliper rebuild kit as they are sometimes referred to. Can you tell me where I could order them from? Part number?
Thanks!!
Found it!! It is 22968937.
Glad to hear you found the seals. My preference was GM, but I ended up special ordering the seals for the rear calipers from O'Reilly's.

Bill
Old 03-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #33
wrankin

Updated contact info on page 1.

Bill
Old 04-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #34
The_sim

Were the callipers clear coated after the passion red was applied?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2019, 05:24 AM   #35
wrankin

Quote:
Were the callipers clear coated after the passion red was applied?

Yes, they were clear coated. The clear coat was applied over the decals. They still look great.

Bill
Old 04-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #36
The_sim

My rear callipers are getting painted right now so I opened my GM calliper rebuild kit to get things ready and it only comes with dust boots, no o-rings. According to GM you have to buy the pistons to get the o-rings!! Does anybody have the part numbers for the o-rings only?
Old 04-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #37
wrankin

Quote:
My rear callipers are getting painted right now so I opened my GM calliper rebuild kit to get things ready and it only comes with dust boots, no o-rings. According to GM you have to buy the pistons to get the o-rings!! Does anybody have the part numbers for the o-rings only?
That may have been the reason I went with the aftermarket kit, but that was 2 years ago. I ended up getting it at O'Reillys. It was not my preference going aftermarket vs. OEM.

Did you get them power coated or are you painting them?

Bill
Old 04-18-2019, 05:56 PM   #38
The_sim

Powder coated passion red. I was able to use the old o-rings but now I’m having a real hard time fitting the dust boots on. Is there a trick??

Old 04-19-2019, 05:11 AM   #39
wrankin

Quote:
Powder coated passion red. I was able to use the old o-rings but now I’m having a real hard time fitting the dust boots on. Is there a trick??

Sorrry I can't help with that. I think the powder coater did it for me since he's also a mechanic.

Assume you are happy with the color match? I did all kinds of homework trying to get it as close as possible.

Bill

Last edited by wrankin; 04-19-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:17 AM   #40
The_sim

Very happy with the colour match. Thanks for sharing with the community.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #41
wrankin

Quote:
Very happy with the colour match. Thanks for sharing with the community.

Please post some pictures when you get them so everyone can see how good the match is. The color was a big secret that no one that had inside knowledge was willing to provide.

Bill
Old 07-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #42
Bayles76

Drives: 16 Summit 2SS, 92 Arctic Formula
Thank you OP! for the last week or two I've been searching for the exact color and replica decals to match my 6pots for the rear. Thank you for posting this!