Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Phastek Performance

Old 03-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #29
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
I actually don’t see that many for sale, especially at my price point.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #30
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
LOL. I think some of you have some reading to do.

If you have a 401K or B and can afford to max out your contributions every year then the economy is great for you. And remember, to make a $40K yearly income from your 401K-B you need $1,000,000 when you retire. Otherwise even if you max out social security that's another $28K @ 66-70 depending on your age right now.

Only 65% of American workers have access to a 401K-B. Out of these less than 10% can afford to max out yearly contributions and many do not use it. So for 10% of us things are going great.

IF the stock market continues to climb. And the experts agree there will be a large correction in the coming year or two. The key here is getting out the day before that happens. It will come back maybe in 5-10 years. Half of the government going to jail makes things even shakier.

In general wages are stagnant and not keeping up with inflation. Besides all this there seems to be a universal trend for companies to squeeze their workers dry for greater profit to benefit that 10% of us. Even white shirts have to fill out a time sheet to measure how much time they spend in the bathroom. kids come out of college owing 100s of thousands of dollars. And 10 years to pay it back. Or else their wages are garnished.

My advice is to get yourself in that 10% if possible. You are at least in the game. The rest of us are screwed. We fight about politics but that is just what the political parties want. The people really running the country live in gated communities. They own both parties.

And the 1% is laughing all the way to the Veyron dealer.

But to stay on topic. SS 1LEs just like ZL1 1LEs are more likely to be put back on the market because they are not a good fit for most people who do not track. It's that simple.
An SS 1LE is the same suspension as a ZL1 and people daily drive those so what’s the issue?
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #31
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Think it has to do with it being a manual transmission. I did a search of available Camaros new and used and there was more manual’s for sale used than new and the reverse for the automatics. I believe people want to relive their muscle car past buy a stick shift and then hate it in real life.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #32
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Most of the people that post on a car forum are enthusiasts so it's natural you'll see the more performance oriented model more often.

I honestly believe people get too excited and impulse buy the 1le thinking its rare and special and then realize they made a ton of them on the 6th gens and they aren't rare or that special either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Because most of these that are for sale were daily drivers and the owners found out quickly that the 1LE isn't the best option for a daily. The Camaro in general isn't a great daily, the 1LE even more so. Unless you track the car a regular SS is a better option.
To the casual car buyer, the pecking order for Camaro used to be RS, SS, Z28. So a casual buyer who just wants a "cool" Camaro may assume the 1LE is, like the Z28 used to be, the notch above the SS. So when they go to buy the most Camaro they can get, they go in on the 1LE. Then they have to drive it every day. And start noticing the rock chips from the sticky tires kicking up rocks. And then one day they drive it in the rain and realize that the incredible grip they experienced 99% of the time ain't quite there when things get wet. And heaven forbid they actually try to daily drive it in the winter.

As KingLT1 stated, unless you are tracking the car, SS is a better choice. Even if you are tracking the car, SS is still a pretty solid choice.

On top of that, if you live in an area where it will likely see really cold temps or snow, or you don't have a second vehicle that can pick up the slack when driving the 1LE is a little nerve tingly, you're better off with an SS. Even then, most of us put our SS's away for much of the winter. I have a second car, so my SS sits when the weather is not to my liking. If I had a 1LE, it would sit even more often.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #33
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
An SS 1LE is the same suspension as a ZL1 and people daily drive those so what’s the issue?
I thought zl1 was more harsh...
I wonder what percentage of zl1’s are dd...

Last edited by Aragorn; 03-12-2019 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Sp
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #34
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
So when they go to buy the most Camaro they can get, they go in on the 1LE. Then they have to drive it every day. And start noticing the rock chips from the sticky tires kicking up rocks. And then one day they drive it in the rain and realize that the incredible grip they experienced 99% of the time ain't quite there when things get wet. And heaven forbid they actually try to daily drive it in the winter.
I actually had a solution for both of those things, and I still ended up selling my 1LE. I had deluxe rock guards installed as soon as I got it, and I also had a second set of wheels with all seasons for daily driving. I even tracked the car with the original tires, and thoroughly enjoyed it. What ultimately caused me to sell my 1LE was it just wasn't a good daily, for many reasons other than those.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #35
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
And start noticing the rock chips from the sticky tires kicking up rocks. And then one day they drive it in the rain and realize that the incredible grip they experienced 99% of the time ain't quite there when things get wet. And heaven forbid they actually try to daily drive it in the winter.
Nailed it.

Sits in the garage half the year, don't drive in bad weather the other half. Great looking and performing car, but not ideal for every day driving. I personally have a beater as a daily.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #36
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
As KingLT1 stated, unless you are tracking the car, SS is a better choice. Even if you are tracking the car, SS is still a pretty solid choice.
Perhaps, but I don't track my 1LE and I'm thrilled that I bought it. I corner aggressively, and then there's just the factor of simply having one.

That being said, I would at least drive both prior to purchase to know for sure.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #37
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
guess, don't understand how the ss 1le wouldn't be any worse a DD than a non-1le ss. I mean you can spec a ss close to a 1le, right?

I can see the case of buying more than you have the opportunity to use, and it just feels wrong to have something so capable sit there... but again the same could be true for a non-1le ss.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #38
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
guess, don't understand how the ss 1le wouldn't be any worse a DD than a non-1le ss. I mean you can spec a ss close to a 1le, right?

I can see the case of buying more than you have the opportunity to use, and it just feels wrong to have something so capable sit there... but again the same could be true for a non-1le ss.
I personally love to daily my 1LE. I think the road manners are fantastic. That being said, you could certainly spec a regular SS to be much more compliant but, there’s things like the eLSD or the different PTM modes that make up a huge difference. You can get Chevy to install and reprogram your 17+SS with 1LE suspension and reprogram your MRC but, I doubt it’ll have the same overall dynamic.

With that being said, I went from my 2016 2SS A8 to my 2018 1SS 1LE and I love every second of it. I think the only thing that would have made this car better to me, is the A10–and I love manual transmissions.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #39
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post

IME, it is more a question of where you live and how you drive. If I lived in Atlanta or Dallas I would have zero issues with having a 1LE as a DD. I live in Detroit and spend a good amount of time driving through southern Ontario to Buffalo. I don’t take the SS on that trip too often and would be even less inclined to take a 1LE. Definitively not in the winter, because of the tires. For SS they are Goodyear Eagle F1 summer only run flats. They are phenomenal on dry pavement, squirrelly on wet pavement, treacherous in a downpour, and a really really bad choice in snow. So in climates that drop below 40 - 45 degrees, the owner will need to swap the tires for all seasons or park the car and drive something else.

That’s for SS. The 1LE has the same tire, only significantly wider and with lower profile. That amps up all that is good (and bad) about the tires on the SS. Being wider also pushes the outer edge of the tires out beyond the fenders and the sticky tread picks up small debris and flings it onto the body. Easily remedied with rock guards, but still a nuisance. The suspension on the 1LE is a little tighter and more firm than a non-1LE, so road feel is a bit more transparent. Not necessarily a bad thing, depending on where and how you’re driving it, but for some it can be a little bit much.

To be honest, I considered a 1LE and would have had no qualms about driving it the same as I do my SS, but two things moved me off the 1LE. I LOVE the Fifty package. Wasn’t available for 1LE. And I had decided early on I was gonna have a convertible. Not available for 1LE. Ironically, convertible is available for ZL1, but not for 1LE at any trim level.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #40
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
SS 1LE is the best car I've ever driven, and I love driving mine as much as possible. It's very entertaining. If I were to trade it in on a regular car (or even a non SS 1LE Camaro), I'd be bored to death with it. Life is too short to drive bored.

I seriously think many people are afraid of them. They can do amazing things and can get you killed, or in serious trouble if you f*ck up.
Rayvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #41
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
probably because they got it figured out they never gonna track it and got something else instead lol no idea?
Old 03-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #42
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I daily drive my 1LE in Indiana. I installed the Bridgestone 980AS's and haven't looked back. I have the ability to work from home whenever I need to but I have been on the highway in snow without any issues having the All-Season tires. I daily drove a 12' Roush Stage 3 Mustang with 700'ish HP with Continental all seasons for 3 years before this car and my job then required me to travel the State to different Hospitals throughout the year. I've never understood the idea of buying a car and letting it sit in the garage, esp since they depreciate so rapidly, and you only live once. I am; however, looking forward to taking advantage of someone with this mentality in the next 2 years when the 2020 GT500 comes out and all the low mileage 13-14 GT500's flood the market.
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote