Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Magnetic shocks - How good are they??

This is geared more for the SS 1LE and ZL1 guys...

How good are the magnetic dampers when it comes to rear-end chassis control and the ability it settle the car once upset mid-corner in say a high speed sweeper

More specifically I guess I mean the rebound control. As good as a coilover?
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
They work great in the carousel at Road America.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
talking to a few 1LE guys for autoX they are just a little sluggish and slow to react but on track they are killer.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
talking to a few 1LE guys for autoX they are just a little sluggish and slow to react but on track they are killer.
I am not too worried about super quick transitions for autoX, as I don't do those and the 1LE and its close to 3800LB isn't the best car for that. I care more about the chassis composure, rear-end stability and high speed stability when upset mid corner.

Also how they feel in the 100-130ish range.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I am not too worried about super quick transitions for autoX, as I don't do those and the 1LE and its close to 3800LB isn't the best car for that. I care more about the chassis composure, rear-end stability and high speed stability when upset mid corner.

Also how they feel in the 100-130ish range.
Watch vids in the best track time thread sticky’d above. The OE SS 1LE dampers are amazing on track. I’m just back from Watkins Glen, 120+ and flat through the Esses... very confidence inspiring. STABLE.

Last edited by Provoste; 07-08-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Watch vids in the best track time thread sticky’d above. The OE SS 1LE dampers are amazing on track. I’m just back from Watkins Glen, 120+ and flat through the Esses... very confidence inspiring. STABLE.
Awesome , thanks.

I figured so, I just wanted to make sure the magnetic shocks works as well in a heavier car as they do in a light car. I loved them on the TTRS I had. I obviously did a test drive, but you can't drive 9/10th around corners on a test drive or test the suspension out on too many road surfaces at triple digit speeds

I mean it makes sense, the SS 1LE would not have the lap times and be able to compete with cars much more expensive if it wasn't buttoned down.

I guess the bad experience and disappointment after I got my M3 and realized I was not happy with its handling and lack of being buttoned down kinda scarred me. The was a costly unhappy feeling. I don't want that to happen again, as I don't have the means to fix that mistake quickly or easily.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #7
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
More specifically I guess I mean the rebound control. As good as a coilover?
If not to your satisfaction, there's this.

Norm
Old 07-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
...More specifically I guess I mean the rebound control. As good as a coilover?
No, they're better because they're active in real-time. The closest you can get with passive dampers are DSSV's spool valve or Penske's regressive valve.

Re: your BMW; their tuning philosophy gives their cars a habitual rear end wobble that never inspires confidence. It's not so much the dampers as their bushing tuning. The SS 1LE is much more connected feeling; it's how BMW should've tuned the //M4.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #9
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
No, they're better because they're active in real-time. The closest you can get with passive dampers are DSSV's spool valve or Penske's regressive valve.

Re: your BMW; their tuning philosophy gives their cars a habitual rear end wobble that never inspires confidence. It's not so much the dampers as their bushing tuning. The SS 1LE is much more connected feeling; it's how BMW should've tuned the //M4.
The F80/82 M's rear-end is bolted directly to the frame (like the ZL1 1LE), there are no bushing back there, it is just poor tuning. I went with Ohlin coilovers and that fixed the issue, but in the process I lost that OEM ride quality and the Ohlins were very harsh (enough to activate the traction control and lift your butt out of the seat) on some bigger freeway bumps/waves.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
If not to your satisfaction, there's this.

Norm
That's very cool, I didn't know such a product existed. Nice to know that option is there.

If the damping and software is as good as the TTRS I had, I will be quite happy with the stock GM profile, but I will know after I pick up my car next week and drive it for a bit.

But , indeed very cool to see something like this out there.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #11
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
There is, or at least to be, a downloadable user manual for that DSC controller. It's a peek inside what can be done, if nothing else.

Norm
Old 07-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #12
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
The F80/82 M's rear-end is bolted directly to the frame (like the ZL1 1LE), there are no bushing back there, it is just poor tuning. I went with Ohlin coilovers and that fixed the issue, but in the process I lost that OEM ride quality and the Ohlins were very harsh (enough to activate the traction control and lift your butt out of the seat) on some bigger freeway bumps/waves.
I just checked RealOEM. It does appear the F82's use mostly ball jointed suspension pivots. That for sure is embarrassing at how non-optimal their dampers and kinematic curves must be.

There's a reason there are so many BMW and Porsche cross-overs to the SS 1LE and ZL1; this Alpha platform really is excellent.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #13
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
There is, or at least to be, a downloadable user manual for that DSC controller. It's a peek inside what can be done, if nothing else.

Norm
DSC Sport also has a ton of video tutorials on youtube to help. They really came in handy when I got mine used.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I just checked RealOEM. It does appear the F82's use mostly ball jointed suspension pivots. That for sure is embarrassing at how non-optimal their dampers and kinematic curves must be.

There's a reason there are so many BMW and Porsche cross-overs to the SS 1LE and ZL1; this Alpha platform really is excellent.
Yeah, BMW has fallen so far behind in the suspension tuning & Traction / Stability control department, its not even funny. I am just coming off lease with my M3, and it is by far the worst value of any performance car I have had.

The M3 had great compression tuning, but the rebound was comical at best. Heavy braking upset the rear-end, any dip or wave while in a turn upset the rear-end, transitions, forget about it.

You add to that, that the stability control was always fighting against you, even engaging (even while in the most loose setting) long before it needed to. With the system fully off, I could get an easy additional 10MPH on a on/off ramp with zero drama.