Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #1
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
Those that track their car or do mountain runs?

What is more important for grip when taking turns at higher speeds. A wider tire or running an alignment with more negative camber? I have 245/40/20 on the front and 275/35/20 on the rear on my aftermarket forged wheels. they are 20x9 in the front and 20x10 in the rear. I am also running stock alignment. -0.75 deg and -0.8 in the front. -0.9 deg and -0.8 deg of camber in the rear.
I want to my car to perform well on the track like 1le does. What do you guys think and suggest. Thanks!
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:23 AM   #2
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I'd start with the alignment.
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:57 AM   #3
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by red6.2 View Post
What is more important for grip when taking turns at higher speeds. A wider tire or running an alignment with more negative camber? I have 245/40/20 on the front and 275/35/20 on the rear on my aftermarket forged wheels. they are 20x9 in the front and 20x10 in the rear. I am also running stock alignment. -0.75 deg and -0.8 in the front. -0.9 deg and -0.8 deg of camber in the rear.
I want to my car to perform well on the track like 1le does. What do you guys think and suggest. Thanks!
The composition of the tire will have more impact than both combined. Simply running a wider tire will yield negligible results, unless you're also changing the composition of the tire, as well.

If your goal is to "perform well on the track like 1le does", you'll likely need quite a bit more than just running a wider tire and changing your alignment...
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Alignment, wider and grippier tires on wider wheels than what you've got, not knowing what you've got for shocks & struts, higher performing ones.

For starters . . .

Norm
Old 07-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
Sp00ner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The wider tire will cord the outer shoulders way before the rest of the tire without a decent amount of camber up front. A roval-style track will kill that outside shoulder with the stock camber.

That being said, tire comp will probably have more to do with your grip than any one other factor. I changed tires (same width better compound) and alignment at the same time, so it's hard to draw independent conclusions.
Sp00ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #6
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ctivision View Post
I'd start with the alignment.
Same
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #7
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Alignment, and the best non-run-flat summer performance tires, once your current tires wear out. Tire quality is considerably more important than trying to squeeze the largest possible tire that will fit on the rim.

I don't know if you have experience taking driving schools, doing autocross or previous track days.
It is usually good advice to start working on your own experience and training before modifying the car. A professional driver in a base SS could run circles around most of us 1LE forum jockeys ...
When you improve your skills, then you can get a lot more out of any mod. And the seat time is so fun - that's the juice, to me. The big-name driving schools like Bondurant are quite expensive but there are a lot of pretty good, cheaper options from organizations like BMWCCA, SCCA, etc. See what's available in the Bay Area, I am sure you have many options.

Last edited by Roostie; 07-11-2018 at 11:08 PM. Reason: editing
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote