Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 07-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #29
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Depends on what you are considering as "chassis bits." If you mean the unibody structure then yes you are correct. If you add subframes to that, then the only difference is the rear subframe getting the solid aluminum mounts on the ZL1 1LE as opposed to the rubber bushings on the SS 1LE and ZL1 (SS 1LE and ZL1 are essentially identical in terms of suspension).

Other suspension differences between SS 1LE/ZL1 and ZL1 1LE are, IIRC, springs, dampers, and sway bars.

But, the main thing I was trying to get at in my previous post was that I found the springs/dampers/sways from a ZL1 1LE on an SS 1LE resulted in what I thought was a really rough ride on the street. The springs on the ZL1 1LE are a much higher rate than the stock SS 1LE springs, and without the extra weight that the ZL1 has in the engine and elsewhere you feel every little imperfection in the road. Not trying to say that's a good or bad thing or trying to convince anyone to do it or not since it depends on what people's preferences and planned usage of their cars, just sharing my experience with it
That's why I think for a SS 1LE, the only thing needed is the solid cradle mount and maybe lower control arms to replace the stamped steel ones. Look at the BMR video of the SS 1LE and see the flex generated.

The mag. shocks works very well, no need to fix what aint broke. the SS 1LE just needs to be tightened up a little in the rear bushing dept.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:33 PM   #30
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Depends on what you are considering as "chassis bits." If you mean the unibody structure then yes you are correct. If you add subframes to that, then the only difference is the rear subframe getting the solid aluminum mounts on the ZL1 1LE as opposed to the rubber bushings on the SS 1LE and ZL1 (SS 1LE and ZL1 are essentially identical in terms of suspension).

Other suspension differences between SS 1LE/ZL1 and ZL1 1LE are, IIRC, springs, dampers, and sway bars.

But, the main thing I was trying to get at in my previous post was that I found the springs/dampers/sways from a ZL1 1LE on an SS 1LE resulted in what I thought was a really rough ride on the street. The springs on the ZL1 1LE are a much higher rate than the stock SS 1LE springs, and without the extra weight that the ZL1 has in the engine and elsewhere you feel every little imperfection in the road. Not trying to say that's a good or bad thing or trying to convince anyone to do it or not since it depends on what people's preferences and planned usage of their cars, just sharing my experience with it

These bits
Attached Images

glenB is offline   Reply With Quote