Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-29-2023, 07:50 PM   #1
DavoinShowerHandel

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Performance Design New Intake Manifold

Has anyone seen any testing or actual results from Performance Designs new XS intake manifold? They make some pretty solid claims on their site about how it performs compared to some others (namely the stock manifold) but I haven't been able to find any dyno sheets or independent testing performed on it. Just curious if there's any validity to it or if stock rod mod/ported is still the way to go. Thanks for any responses!
Mods: Kooks 1 7/8" LT Headers, CAI Intake w/ APEX Race Scoop, Bo White Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Powerbond 25% Underdrive Pulley, Borla ATAK Catback, Full DSE suspension, Bilstein B6 shocks/struts, Yukon 4.11 gears, 1.25" drop

Dyno Tuned by Brian Turner of Dyno Tune Motorsports
DavoinShowerHandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 11:48 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Richard Holdener did some good testing on these. Apparently, there are actual gains to be had over stock intake/stock engine, as the company claims. Very nice gains on cam+heads engine as well, but with larger throttle bodies. I have been following these for a while and have been tempted, but they are kinda ugly, although the pricing is very nice. I think he tested it with each throttle body size. Its been awhile since I watched it, but I was rather impressed they could improve against the stock intake on a stock engine, although gains at this level were minimal. Its when throttle body size and engine mods are done that increases are substantial and worth it, imo.

When you see these opened up its insane to see that they can actually flow. Its packed inside that casing.

The main concern of mine is that they hide the fuel rails inside the intake, which is kind of scary sounding to me.

2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 12:08 AM   #3
DavoinShowerHandel

Awesome, thank you for the videos! I agree it's not the best-looking piece of equipment I've ever seen, not by a long shot. I was interested in them taking some design cues from the LT6 with the differing length runners, I thought it may pick up something, just wasn't sure exactly how much. I'll give the video a watch and see what kind of numbers he came up with. Thank you again for the links!
Mods: Kooks 1 7/8" LT Headers, CAI Intake w/ APEX Race Scoop, Bo White Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Powerbond 25% Underdrive Pulley, Borla ATAK Catback, Full DSE suspension, Bilstein B6 shocks/struts, Yukon 4.11 gears, 1.25" drop

Old 11-30-2023, 07:15 AM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Richard Holdener did some good testing on these. Apparently, there are actual gains to be had over stock intake/stock engine, as the company claims. Very nice gains on cam+heads engine as well, but with larger throttle bodies. I have been following these for a while and have been tempted, but they are kinda ugly, although the pricing is very nice. I think he tested it with each throttle body size. Its been awhile since I watched it, but I was rather impressed they could improve against the stock intake on a stock engine, although gains at this level were minimal. Its when throttle body size and engine mods are done that increases are substantial and worth it, imo.

When you see these opened up its insane to see that they can actually flow. Its packed inside that casing.

The main concern of mine is that they hide the fuel rails inside the intake, which is kind of scary sounding to me.

Keep in mind this test was done with a 427ci motor with a healthy dose of compression and a monster camshaft in it. This is the kind of combination that would disadvantage that factory intake the most. It's also a completely untouched factory manifold, porting and rod mod usually picks up 10-15whp on your run of the mill 376ci motors with a cam, so call that a full 15bhp on the dyno curve they show for the factory piece. So, figure more like a 10-15hp gain for the PD XS vs. a ported and rod mod manifold. That doesn't invalidate the test by any means, but it does color it and position the PD XS to come out looking like more of a hero that it likely actually is.

Definitely looking forward to seeing more testing on this manifold, hopefully with a more modest test motor. If the true gain is really only like 10hp, and it takes a $1000 intake and $700 throttle body to get there over $400 worth of porting and rod mod, then a consumers $1,300 difference would likely be better spent elsewhere to achieve better gains. If a customer is looking to squeeze everything they can out of a combination that still fits under the hood and doesn't murder the torque curve, then this may be the niche for this manifold. We're hoping we get an in-house customer that wants to run this manifold some day so we can get our own testing done on it.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:27 AM   #5
DavoinShowerHandel

Definitely agree with the price:performance ratio there. A stroker lies firmly within my future plans, so that may end up being a fit for me eventually. That's also where my curiosity stems from. I know there's rarely, if ever, a one size fits all answer, but I'd definitely be curious to see if it's something that picks up anything on a more modest engine as well or if it's just worth standing by on it. I'd certainly be interested in a thread of someone else volunteering to do the spending for the testing to save me the trouble if anyone ever does it.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:48 AM   #6
LS3SSSuperSport

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoinShowerHandel View Post
Definitely agree with the price:performance ratio there. A stroker lies firmly within my future plans, so that may end up being a fit for me eventually. That's also where my curiosity stems from. I know there's rarely, if ever, a one size fits all answer, but I'd definitely be curious to see if it's something that picks up anything on a more modest engine as well or if it's just worth standing by on it. I'd certainly be interested in a thread of someone else volunteering to do the spending for the testing to save me the trouble if anyone ever does it.

So I took the plunge. I ported and smoothed mine as well as shaved the top of the runner, plus ported matched to my tsp heads. I posted everything on lstech.

I will dyno mine in May on a dyno I always use. The dyno reads true, mustang dyno high altitude. My TSP heads made 36 hp over stock from just a head change and bump up in compression. 235 cam, 64cc heads, and with this new intake. The reason why this inatke is so much better is there isn't a sharp turn in for the air when coming into the runner. I have only found one dyno run on a 6.2l where they posted the gains. It was 20hp that's pretty good. I would like to see more.

Here are some pics of my build.
It's not that cluttered inside, just mive the injectors under the rail.

Name:  20240323_164509.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  150.7 KB

Name:  20240324_162109.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  184.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20240319_213618_MoView.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  82.2 KB
LS3SSSuperSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:11 AM   #7
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3SSSuperSport View Post
So I took the plunge. I ported and smoothed mine as well as shaved the top of the runner, plus ported matched to my tsp heads. I posted everything on lstech.

I will dyno mine in May on a dyno I always use. The dyno reads true, mustang dyno high altitude. My TSP heads made 36 hp over stock from just a head change and bump up in compression. 235 cam, 64cc heads, and with this new intake. The reason why this inatke is so much better is there isn't a sharp turn in for the air when coming into the runner. I have only found one dyno run on a 6.2l where they posted the gains. It was 20hp that's pretty good. I would like to see more.

Here are some pics of my build.
It's not that cluttered inside, just mive the injectors under the rail.
Which TSP heads did you go with?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote