Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-17-2022, 11:09 AM   #15
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
LS7 lifters - yea, I would only run those for a 7000rpm deal. The Johnson recommendations they give are extremely, extremely conservative. The 2110, 2110R, 2116LSR, we've run all of those to over 8000rpm and over 500# open with excellent results. As far as the lift, that doesn't really add up either - is it a 1.7 or a 1.8 rocker? Again, we've seen a lot more than .630" lift with all of the above mentioned Johnson lifters, and again, not a problem. I have ST2116LSR's in my personal car, .650" lift, 500# open, 7700+rpm, all no worries.

I think you need to make sure you figure out what the weight of those severe duty valves are - as I recall those suckers are HEAVY and you're going to need quite a bit of valve-spring if you want to see some serious RPM. The cam in a 427 is really not all that aggressive, so maybe you really don't need to see much over 7000rpm to get most of the good out of that. Intake choice really depends on what you want to do with the cowl and hood. Stock stuff and maybe a BTR Trinity fit under the stock hood - the Hi-ram is kind of the standard option for more power if you're willing to cut stuff up.
@acammer - You are the man! As usual, you provide stellar information without the B.S. Much appreciated!!

OP - Sounds like it's going to be a great build! Keep us updated with pics and results!!

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 01:52 PM   #16
WVracer

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3 M6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
LS7 lifters - yea, I would only run those for a 7000rpm deal. The Johnson recommendations they give are extremely, extremely conservative. The 2110, 2110R, 2116LSR, we've run all of those to over 8000rpm and over 500# open with excellent results. As far as the lift, that doesn't really add up either - is it a 1.7 or a 1.8 rocker? Again, we've seen a lot more than .630" lift with all of the above mentioned Johnson lifters, and again, not a problem. I have ST2116LSR's in my personal car, .650" lift, 500# open, 7700+rpm, all no worries.

I think you need to make sure you figure out what the weight of those severe duty valves are - as I recall those suckers are HEAVY and you're going to need quite a bit of valve-spring if you want to see some serious RPM. The cam in a 427 is really not all that aggressive, so maybe you really don't need to see much over 7000rpm to get most of the good out of that. Intake choice really depends on what you want to do with the cowl and hood. Stock stuff and maybe a BTR Trinity fit under the stock hood - the Hi-ram is kind of the standard option for more power if you're willing to cut stuff up.
Yeah, I thought those figures that Tick recommended seemed really low. Thats why I told him to make sure he verified because those didn't seem right. Good to know though that we got some reliable information on them. Thanks a lot!
2011 IOM 2SS/RS LS3 M6- Injen CAI, TSP 1 7/8” headers, PTB, Hurst short throw, Corsa catback exhaust, 20" TSW Nurburgrings, BMR lower control arms, BMR tunnel brace, Hotchkis lowering springs. 3660lbs. Tuned by me (sold)

2010 RJT 1SS/RS LS3 M6- CAI, TSP 2” headers, TSP F-35 cam, PTB, Hurst short throw, Dronemaster catback, BMR lowering springs, Kirkey seats, 20”/18” Weld Belmonts, 3550lbs.
WVracer is offline   Reply With Quote