Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-06-2022, 11:56 AM   #1
57jettruck

Drives: 2010 SS
Dart 427 help

Hello everyone, needing some help from anyone willing to offer it with experience in the matter. An engine builder would be great as well. Here’s what’s going on. I finally am building the engine I want for my Camaro. I started with a Dart 427 SHP LS next iron short block from Thompson motorsports and now it’s time for the top end. I’m ordering Frankenstein M311 6 bolt heads with sever duty stainless intake valves and inconel exhaust valves. Cam specs are 240/246 .63 lift on a 116.5 lsa. Car will be on e85 triple pump setup and twin turbos. My questions are.

what head gaskets would you recommend? LSX?

What lifters? I’ve been looking at Johnson tie bar short travel lifters

Rockers?

Intake manifold? A team? Never heard of them but ran across some.

Thanks for any input
57jettruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:20 AM   #2
Ashen L99

Drives: Ashen grey, 1SS, L99
Head gaskets: cometic
Lifters: Johnson 2110Rs or the link bars
Rockers: BTR or any other reputable brand
Intake manifold: highram from Holley. It’s been a proven intake that makes great power and can withstand a lot of boost.
Roto-fab CAI, Nick Williams 102mm TB, LOD X1 V3 intake manifold, GMPP LS3 heads, Night Fury cam, TSP 2” long tubes, Corsa ZL-1 catback, Nitrous Outlet 102mm plate kit/150 shot, NGK BR7EF plugs with Taylor plug wires, DSX flex fuel kit, ZL-1 fuel pump and injectors, B&M deep trans pan, Yank 3400 converter, 3.45s with BMR Delrin bushings, mishimoto 169° Thermostat, GM ground effects, T-Rex upper grill, Z/28 Spoiler, Lolly pop Lime brake calipers, ZL1 10 spoke wheels, 12” subwoofer, and custom paint matched interior.
Ashen L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:44 AM   #3
KW Baraka

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS

Head Gaskets: Cometic
Lifters: Johnson 2110Rs
Rockers: Texas Speed LS3 Roller Rockers
Intake manifold: Frankenstein Freakshow Intake

KW
KW Baraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:12 PM   #4
57jettruck

Thanks for the input, I ordered the Cometic head gaskets and some stock ls3 rockers with trunnion upgrades. Any reason why the 2110 Johnson’s over the Johnson ST 2116 SLR lifters? That’s what I ordered as a recommendation from TSP. I’m going to reuse the stock ls3 intake for now as I have other things budgeted vs spending 4K on a Frankenstein billet intake.
Old 04-09-2022, 07:47 PM   #5
ICUP

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Why didn’t you just get the whole long block from Thompson?
ICUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:44 PM   #6
WVracer

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3 M6 (Sold)
Just to make sure.. it is a hydraulic cam right? If so, it depends on what your RPM range is for lifter, and rocker selection. Also need to know spring pressures if you want to properly choose lifters
2011 IOM 2SS/RS LS3 M6- Injen CAI, TSP 1 7/8” headers, PTB, Hurst short throw, Corsa catback exhaust, 20" TSW Nurburgrings, BMR lower control arms, BMR tunnel brace, Hotchkis lowering springs. 3660lbs. Tuned by me (sold)

2010 RJT 1SS/RS LS3 M6- CAI, TSP 2” headers, TSP F-35 cam, PTB, Hurst short throw, Dronemaster catback, BMR lowering springs, Kirkey seats, 20”/18” Weld Belmonts, 3550lbs.
WVracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:54 PM   #7
57jettruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
Why didn’t you just get the whole long block from Thompson?
Didn’t have all the coin at the time and was able to pickup the short block during a motor of the month deal.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:03 PM   #8
57jettruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVracer View Post
Just to make sure.. it is a hydraulic cam right? If so, it depends on what your RPM range is for lifter, and rocker selection. Also need to know spring pressures if you want to properly choose lifters
Yes hydraulic, cam specs are 240/246 .630/.630 on 116.5 LSA. Springs pressures are 155 open 436 closed. Can you elaborate for me why this is so important? Thanks for not bashing just trying to learn.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:59 PM   #9
WVracer

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3 M6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57jettruck View Post
Yes hydraulic, cam specs are 240/246 .630/.630 on 116.5 LSA. Springs pressures are 155 open 436 closed. Can you elaborate for me why this is so important? Thanks for not bashing just trying to learn.
Just need to know if its hydraulic or solid as the lifter types are different for each. Secondly, lifters have rpm, lift, and spring pressure ratings. The stock LS7 lifters are only rated to 7000rpm or less. Johnson does not have any published ratings for their LS lifters online but I would call them to figure out if they have that information. Tick Performance says on their website that the ST2116s are only rated for 420# of open spring pressure which is a bit below what you currently have. They also do not recommend the ST2110s for more than .630" of lift which is right at the line of what you have. According to them neither of these lifters will be proper for your application. These might just be their recommendations and not the manufacturers specs so you would need to verify. You will need to also verify if your lifter bore as I'm not sure if the Dart block uses the standard bore

If their specs are right you would need something like the ST2126LSR lifters as they have the spring pressure, lift, and rpm capability.
2011 IOM 2SS/RS LS3 M6- Injen CAI, TSP 1 7/8” headers, PTB, Hurst short throw, Corsa catback exhaust, 20" TSW Nurburgrings, BMR lower control arms, BMR tunnel brace, Hotchkis lowering springs. 3660lbs. Tuned by me (sold)

2010 RJT 1SS/RS LS3 M6- CAI, TSP 2” headers, TSP F-35 cam, PTB, Hurst short throw, Dronemaster catback, BMR lowering springs, Kirkey seats, 20”/18” Weld Belmonts, 3550lbs.
WVracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:04 PM   #10
57jettruck

Quote:
Just need to know if its hydraulic or solid as the lifter types are different for each. Secondly, lifters have rpm, lift, and spring pressure ratings. The stock LS7 lifters are only rated to 7000rpm or less. Johnson does not have any published ratings for their LS lifters online but I would call them to figure out if they have that information. Tick Performance says on their website that the ST2116s are only rated for 420# of open spring pressure which is a bit below what you currently have. They also do not recommend the ST2110s for more than .630" of lift which is right at the line of what you have. According to them neither of these lifters will be proper for your application. These might just be their recommendations and not the manufacturers specs so you would need to verify. You will need to also verify if your lifter bore as I'm not sure if the Dart block uses the standard bore

If their specs are right you would need something like the ST2126LSR lifters as they have the spring pressure, lift, and rpm capability.

Wow! Good to know thanks for the info I’ll dig deeper into all of this. You would think when you talk to someone like TSP they would steer you right when you tell them your plans for the engine. I’m sure they either didn’t ask the right questions or I didnt give all the pertinent info. Thanks again for the help!
Old 04-09-2022, 11:05 PM   #11
57jettruck

It is a hydraulic cam though.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:21 AM   #12
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:

LS7 lifters - yea, I would only run those for a 7000rpm deal. The Johnson recommendations they give are extremely, extremely conservative. The 2110, 2110R, 2116LSR, we've run all of those to over 8000rpm and over 500# open with excellent results. As far as the lift, that doesn't really add up either - is it a 1.7 or a 1.8 rocker? Again, we've seen a lot more than .630" lift with all of the above mentioned Johnson lifters, and again, not a problem. I have ST2116LSR's in my personal car, .650" lift, 500# open, 7700+rpm, all no worries.

I think you need to make sure you figure out what the weight of those severe duty valves are - as I recall those suckers are HEAVY and you're going to need quite a bit of valve-spring if you want to see some serious RPM. The cam in a 427 is really not all that aggressive, so maybe you really don't need to see much over 7000rpm to get most of the good out of that. Intake choice really depends on what you want to do with the cowl and hood. Stock stuff and maybe a BTR Trinity fit under the stock hood - the Hi-ram is kind of the standard option for more power if you're willing to cut stuff up.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 01:38 PM   #13
57jettruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
LS7 lifters - yea, I would only run those for a 7000rpm deal. The Johnson recommendations they give are extremely, extremely conservative. The 2110, 2110R, 2116LSR, we've run all of those to over 8000rpm and over 500# open with excellent results. As far as the lift, that doesn't really add up either - is it a 1.7 or a 1.8 rocker? Again, we've seen a lot more than .630" lift with all of the above mentioned Johnson lifters, and again, not a problem. I have ST2116LSR's in my personal car, .650" lift, 500# open, 7700+rpm, all no worries.

I think you need to make sure you figure out what the weight of those severe duty valves are - as I recall those suckers are HEAVY and you're going to need quite a bit of valve-spring if you want to see some serious RPM. The cam in a 427 is really not all that aggressive, so maybe you really don't need to see much over 7000rpm to get most of the good out of that. Intake choice really depends on what you want to do with the cowl and hood. Stock stuff and maybe a BTR Trinity fit under the stock hood - the Hi-ram is kind of the standard option for more power if you're willing to cut stuff up.
Thanks I actually just got off the phone with Joe at Johnson lifters and he said that these lifters are good to go for my application. The info on the tick performance site is wrong apparently. He said the lifters are good for 185 seat pressure and 535 on the nose. Good for over .700 lift and 8000+rpm.

Springs are pac 700 springs on the heads
Old 04-14-2022, 06:56 PM   #14
KnoxSS1LE

Drives: 2013 SS1LE
Everyone else has you taken care of on everything but intake. Look into the LOD intake manifold! Out performed the high rise intake and fits under hood and even factory tower brace. I have 1 on my car with Frankenstein heads and I am extremely happy with the results. And man those Frankenstein heads are sexy. Wait till you see the porting job!!!
RotoFab intake, Nick Williams TB, LOD intake manifold, LOD fuel rails, Injector Dynamic 1050cc injectors, ceramic plug wires, Frankenstein M311 heads, BTR trunion upgrade, Cam Motion custom cam, Ls7 lifters, Ls7 timing chain, Melling HV oil pump, Lingenfelter thermostat, Setrab oil cooler, Setrab LS oil cooler thermostat, Stainless Works 2" headers, Corsa 3" catback, KW V3 coilovers, Detroit Speed control arms, Detroit Speed camber arms, Detroit Speed trailing arms, Detroit Speed cradle bushings, BMR upper control arm bushings, E-85, Motion RaceWorks valve covers and catch can
KnoxSS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote