Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
Best exhaust setup?

Hi to all!
I was curious to know which exhaust setup would be best in sound and performance. I was thinking of an axle back quad tip, rear diffuser, and catted downpipe combo.
For brands, I was thinking/leaning towards borla mid pipe, zzp catted, and blackheart axle back. Just trying to free up breathing from the turbo and give it some aggressive sound. I have not heard from another ltg in my area in person. I just dont want it to sound like a Honda lol.
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #2
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
dude there is so much discussion on here. what ever you get for axle back,
get the borla mid pipe with the in-line muffler. you'll thank me later.
I did the sport jugs with it which they market as Sport Tour system. love it.

https://www.borla.com/products/camar...rt__60624.html

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
ZZP Catted Downpipe (or any catted downpipe) w/Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Exhaust.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
Davescamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
dude there is so much discussion on here. what ever you get for axle back,
get the borla mid pipe with the in-line muffler. you'll thank me later.
I did the sport jugs with it which they market as Sport Tour system. love it.

https://www.borla.com/products/camar...rt__60624.html
Thank you on the info on the inline muffler. I would go all out borla, but trying to stay under 2k budget full cost. Not trying to go all out, but just everyday driving and once a blue moon, hit the drag strip.
I will hold off til this country gets back into the groove. And talk to the wife to get the okay (wish me luck lol). I really appreciate the feedback so quickly and get back on the ok.
You guys are good and thanks once again!
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Old 04-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Skip the Axle-Back altogether go with a Mishmito Cat-Back or Holley Cat-Back.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
zedts1986

Drives: 2024 2SS 6MT
the zzp catted downpipe was such a good move for this car

Old & Sold: 2019 Camaro 1LT M6, RaceChip GTS, RaceChip XLR, ZZP Catted downpipe, JacFab Boost-o-lator, K&N drop-in air filter, ZZP Intake Tube, PTP turbo blanket, NGK 6510s gapped at 0.022"

Motorcycle enthusiast
zedts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
zedts1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Skip the Axle-Back altogether go with a Mishmito Cat-Back or Holley Cat-Back.
I received my "stimulus" yesterday and decided to buy the ZZP intake tube...I'm considering spending the rest of it on the Mishimoto cat-back. The question then becomes: do I splurge for a new diffuser and go quad-tip?

Old & Sold: 2019 Camaro 1LT M6, RaceChip GTS, RaceChip XLR, ZZP Catted downpipe, JacFab Boost-o-lator, K&N drop-in air filter, ZZP Intake Tube, PTP turbo blanket, NGK 6510s gapped at 0.022"

Motorcycle enthusiast
Old 04-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedts1986 View Post
I received my "stimulus" yesterday and decided to buy the ZZP intake tube...I'm considering spending the rest of it on the Mishimoto cat-back. The question then becomes: do I splurge for a new diffuser and go quad-tip?

zzp intercooler intake tube with kn filter intercooler upper and lower piping on my old cobalt ss they make great stuff!
Old 04-16-2020, 05:23 PM   #9
zedts1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
zzp intercooler intake tube with kn filter intercooler upper and lower piping on my old cobalt ss they make great stuff!
I have the K&N drop-in filter already in the airbox. I figure the intake tube plus that will be more than enough air and render the CAI unnecessary. At least, for now...

Motorcycle enthusiast
Old 04-16-2020, 07:13 PM   #10
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescamaro View Post
Thank you on the info on the inline muffler. I would go all out borla, but trying to stay under 2k budget full cost. Not trying to go all out, but just everyday driving and once a blue moon, hit the drag strip.
I will hold off til this country gets back into the groove. And talk to the wife to get the okay (wish me luck lol). I really appreciate the feedback so quickly and get back on the ok.
You guys are good and thanks once again!

Shop hard. I pieced my Borla cat back from discount resellers and still came in 25 percent below retail, installed. try ebay.

There was a twist, literally a welding defect on one jug, and my shop guy fixed it for free.

Its a bolt up but it will be needing an air hammer for proper assembly.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #11
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedts1986 View Post
I have the K&N drop-in filter already in the airbox. I figure the intake tube plus that will be more than enough air and render the CAI unnecessary. At least, for now...
Actually the hi flo filter in oem box with Mishimoto or zzp silicone tube has been proven to be best option for IATs.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:31 AM   #12
zedts1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Actually the hi flo filter in oem box with Mishimoto or zzp silicone tube has been proven to be best option for IATs.
Well then, excellent!

Motorcycle enthusiast
Old 04-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
Davescamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
Shop hard. I pieced my Borla cat back from discount resellers and still came in 25 percent below retail, installed. try ebay.

There was a twist, literally a welding defect on one jug, and my shop guy fixed it for free.

Its a bolt up but it will be needing an air hammer for proper assembly.
Thank you for the info. I'll probably wait til a holiday sale hits or if a site offers a veterans discount. No huge rush, wife gave the ok after we get a house. She has a 18 VW GTi, I've already put an intake on it lol, so she knows I wanna tinker a bit on it.
Once I get the parts, I'll have my buddy install it at the dealership. I used to work there and he has an air hammer.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:05 PM   #14
V8Bully

Drives: 2016 ATS LTG
The best and cheapest way in my opinion is to get rid of the factory suitcase muffler with a y pipe and 2 bends. Costs about ~320-450 dollars at a shop to do and can be done in 45 minutes(labor/parts included). I have an ATS so we have a resonator in the middle, I chose to ADD an additional resonator behind it along with a catless downpipe. My car has zero rasp when cruising around and is super loud when getting on it or cold start. With a catted downpipe, I would do the muffler delete with a single 12 or 17in inline muffler as suggested by others.

Cost,

DP = -300
Muffler delete = -350
Sell factory muffler = +100
Resonator = -75
Labor and additional parts = -300
total = 925

Add an intake tube, k&n and intercooler for $750 and you spent a little over $1500 for a great setup. Add HPTuners and an E85 sensor and you have a car that can rival most new V8s for less then $2500.

Also, don't spend your cash on an intake as others have mentioned. Take your factory intake out and use a dremel to cut the front section out, its shaped like a triangle. With the intake tube and filter, it will have a pretty big impact on the sound without being too much.
V8Bully is offline   Reply With Quote