Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 02-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #99
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Drivers side door presoaking. Lower portion has contamination from driving in the rain.
Mitt after the door. I should note I usually wash from the top down and stop at the belt line, or mid panel, then do below there last, or the step before bug removal.
Some small bonded contaminate, and even a stuff happens scratch from who knows where. Will take care of that later.
Also bucket conditions. Note the amount of bugs floating, thats why I do the bug removal last, but this is just for demo purpose.
Also caught a thought previous clean micro, to not be used, and retrun to the wash.
Attached Images

Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #100
Nor Cal ZL1

Some finishing shots, and bucket conditions. Next to repair that unknown scratch.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #101
Nor Cal ZL1

Wow, so Essence plus to about 10 seconds to take care of that. Scratch gone, coating intact. I noticed some other, so will do those as well.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #102
Nor Cal ZL1

Ok took care of 4 more in less than 1 minute.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #103
Nor Cal ZL1

So there is the rinseless with bug removal. Car is done, I wish the lighting was better. A few minor blemishes removed, coating intact, and looks fantastic. I did note after a year that coating is holding up very well, but after being driven in all kinds of weather, and snow, it could use a quick pass with Essence plus after a decon wash. Also since the coating was done, the car has traveled about 30,000 miles, and has been subject to the dealership detail department, even though I insisted they not touch it. Overall it has been maintained with about a 50/50 mix of traditional washes with Car Pro Reset, or my favorite Gyeon Bathe +, and 50% rinseless washes. It has also never been blow dried. For my Zl1 when I do use the traditional wash, I do blow dry it. It gets treated a little better, and I take my time with it.

The good news, well sort of, one day I came home from work and found my ZL1 covered with cement dust. I guess the kids were cleaning up some hoses used in swimming pool construction with the garage open. They tried to wipe off a small area near the trunk, and of course there is some damage there. I freaked and instantly washed the car using the traditional method. The good news is next time I will cover that repair work and see what works. The damage is isolated to just the coating surface, so it will be a good example of how to fix it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nor Cal ZL1; 02-06-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #104
Md2886

Drives: 2017 camaro 1ss coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by solobaric View Post
Hey Kirk, I see you're in Ky. Do you happen to offer film application?
Hey solobaric I live in Henderson KY and I know where you can get PPF if you are still interested
Md2886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:57 AM   #105
EagleRS

Drives: Nightfall Grey 2.0L Turbo
Question for the experts...

So, paint correction is only for a paint job such as our Camaro's that comes from the factory kinda jacked up and needs to be fixed? Or someone like myself who has had his car for 10 months and uses as a DD and has already been through one winter with it, can get paint correction on his car still? Just curious if it's only for new cars that have no highway (abuse) on them vs. someone who drives it in all weather scenarios and goes and enjoys it on the weekends.

Thanks guys...
EagleRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 AM   #106
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRS View Post
So, paint correction is only for a paint job such as our Camaro's that comes from the factory kinda jacked up and needs to be fixed? Or someone like myself who has had his car for 10 months and uses as a DD and has already been through one winter with it, can get paint correction on his car still? Just curious if it's only for new cars that have no highway (abuse) on them vs. someone who drives it in all weather scenarios and goes and enjoys it on the weekends.

Thanks guys...
You can do paint correction any time. The condition and quality of paint will determine the degree of paint correction needed. Typically correction is done in single or multi-stages.

Single stage involves a single pass of machine polishing and usually removes only the finest scratches and swirls.

As the name implies, multi-stage correction involves multiple passes of polishing. The initial passes use more aggressive polishes to remove the majority of defects. This is then followed by less aggressive passes to refine the finish and bring out the clarity and gloss. How many total passes are needed will depend on the level of paint damage.

Before any correction is started, be it single or multi-stage, the paint should be clayed to removed any contamination.

Since my car was essentially brand new (less than 600 miles) I went with single stage correction before the application of the paint protection film.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #107
EagleRS

Drives: Nightfall Grey 2.0L Turbo
Thanks for the info....

Hawk02,

First off, I want to say that your car is "NASTY". What a gorgeous machine....God Bless you there sir.

Also, since my car would need touch-ups, that would be something extra vs. just aggressive polishing I imagine. Then, I imagine after the paint is polished down, the protection film is applied.
EagleRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #108
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRS View Post
Hawk02,

First off, I want to say that your car is "NASTY". What a gorgeous machine....God Bless you there sir.

Also, since my car would need touch-ups, that would be something extra vs. just aggressive polishing I imagine. Then, I imagine after the paint is polished down, the protection film is applied.
Thank you EagleRS.

Yes, touch-up, paint correction, and film application would be the proper sequence. Obviously, you can't fix imperfections once the film is applied.