Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 01-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #1
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
My Car is getting PPF

Dropped off my car on Monday to have paint correction, paint protection film and two layers of ceramic coating applied.

I stopped by the detail shop yesterday afternoon to check on the progress. The paint correction was finished and the application of the protective film had begun.

The shop was kind enough to let me take some photos so I thought I'd share them here.

First thing I noticed is how much the paint correction has really brought out the metal flake in the mosaic black metallic finish.

The whole process should be finished early next week. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Attached Images

Last edited by hawk02; 01-27-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: spelling
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
What brand PPF are you using? Is it self-healing?

Can't wait to see the finished pics!
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
What brand PPF are you using? Is it self-healing?

Can't wait to see the finished pics!
The film is Suntek. And yes, it's self-healing. Here's a demo of it's healing ability.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
Mighunter

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
That car is brand new, how could you need paint correction?
Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #5
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighunter View Post
As we well know the factory paint job isn't the greatest. On top of that, the factory and/or dealer's prep introduced some scratches and swirls to the finish. I had a couple places where scratches in the clear coat were pretty noticeable. I wanted the paint as pristine as possible prior to applying the film.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
Mighunter

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
As we well know the factory paint job isn't the greatest. On top of that, the factory and/or dealer's prep introduced some scratches and swirls to the finish. I had a couple places where scratches in the clear coat were pretty noticeable. I wanted the paint as pristine as possible prior to applying the film.
cool, not knocking you, that car looks friggin amazing!
Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #7
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Looks amazing so far OP. Can't wait to see the end result. And you right it does show of the metallic in the paint, haven't seen one in black in person yet. Thanks for the post!

Best regards,

Kayla L.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighunter View Post
Dealerships have trained monkeys and high school boys detailing their cars. I call them the Swirl Installers.

Given the choice between the two, I'd rather have the monkey.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #9
KirkH

Quote:
The film is Suntek. And yes, it's self-healing. Here's a demo of it's healing ability.

Nice, Suntek is a good company. I saw a demo of Optimum PPF at Mobile Tech Expo last week. I love Optimum products so i think I am going with that when I get a ZL-1, hopefully in late 2017.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Dealerships have trained monkeys and high school boys detailing their cars. I call them the Swirl Installers.

Given the choice between the two, I'd rather have the monkey.
Yep...Dealers are tough on paint finishes. I suspect most of the scratches and swirls were caused by the dealer's "brushed" car wash.

My car spent less than 9 hours at the dealer. I didn't order the car but essentially bought it right off the truck. The 9 hrs from delivery to my garage is when I think all the paint damage occurred.

My previous ZL1 spent about 3 months in the dealer's showroom before I bought it. The paint finish was so marred I was prepared to walk away from the deal. The dealer agreed to pay for a complete polish and seal in order to get the car sold.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
KirkH

I was at DisneyWorld last week and in the Epcot Test Track attraction, they have a 6th gen SS that people can look, touch, sit in, and take pics. I looked at the paint. Nothing but swirls. Crazy how all it takes is people touching it and bad car wash technique.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #12
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Nice, Suntek is a good company. I saw a demo of Optimum PPF at Mobile Tech Expo last week. I love Optimum products so i think I am going with that when I get a ZL-1, hopefully in late 2017.
I started out looking to get XPEL film installed. The first two installers I visited preferred Llumar over XPEL. I had never heard of Llumar prior to my visits. I went home and started to do research on Llumar, and in my searching ran across a lot of high praise for Suntek. Just like the Llumar, I had never heard of Suntek prior to this. When you start to search for paint protection film, XPEL and 3M seem to grab most of the results.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #13
KirkH

Quote:
Yep...Dealers are tough on paint finishes. I suspect most of the scratches and swirls were caused by the dealer's "brushed" car wash.

My car spent less than 9 hours at the dealer. I didn't order the car but essentially bought it right off the truck. The 9 hrs from delivery to my garage is when I think all the paint damage occurred.

My previous ZL1 spent about 3 months in the dealer's showroom before I bought it. The paint finish was so marred I was prepared to walk away from the deal. The dealer agreed to pay for a complete polish and seal in order to get the car sold.
Dealers don't care, because like Mike Phillips says "Most people don't know the difference between swirls and squirrels."
Old 01-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #14
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I was working with a dealer a few years ago that was getting massive complaints on new car delivery from his get ready details. Investigation after observing the wash guy was he never changed the wash water, it stayed all day. Big mistake.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote