Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > CANADA

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #1
tsincaat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
How low will dealers negotiate?

Just curious how other Canadians shopping for a Camaro have done on how much they could get taken off.

I'm currently trying to get the best price on a factory ordered Camaro, and have emailed a few dealers in my areas asking for their best price on the configuration I want.

I did end up ordering a report from carcostcanada out of curiosity and found that it listed the invoice for my configuration at around $50,300 before fees, whereas the MSRP is $54,200. If accurate, that's a good 7-8% dealer profit before holdbacks and any other fees they tack on.

That said, the feeling I've gotten is that most dealerships won't drop that much off the price, I guess in part because it's a popular vehicle. But it still feels like I'm getting a bum deal if I can't get close to invoice, especially when we see our neighbors down south getting upwards of 4-5k off MSRP at some dealerships.

EDIT: See my update here: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=12

Last edited by tsincaat; 02-05-2016 at 07:19 PM.
tsincaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
prod

Drives: HHR
It's a different market. Right now each dealer has one or two on the lot and seem happy to wait for someone willing to pay close to full retail. And if you want to order I'm betting it's even worse because of limited allocation and parts availability. I've been to canadian dealers that flat out refuse to do a factory order. Try a pm to one of the members here who have been successful.
prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
Illmaticz

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1-1LE
I ordered my SS from Frost Chevy in Brampton, Ontario two weeks ago and I walked away with $750 new graduate, $500 GM Ownership and $350 Gloss Black wheels, $1600 in total. If they see you as a serious buyer then there is a good chance you will walk away with a good deal. Not sure why dealers would not allow you to factory order your new car it sounds weird to me but I booked mine I had no issues here. It's best to go out and see them in person.
Illmaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
tsincaat

Thanks for the replies, guys. Getting some decent offers back now, we'll see how much lower they'll go. Unfortunately I don't think I qualify for a single incentive, oh well.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmaticz View Post
I ordered my SS from Frost Chevy in Brampton, Ontario two weeks ago and I walked away with $750 new graduate, $500 GM Ownership and $350 Gloss Black wheels, $1600 in total.
So you got $350 off? The other programs are GM programs not dealer discounts.
Any dealer fees?

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsincaat View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. Getting some decent offers back now, we'll see how much lower they'll go. Unfortunately I don't think I qualify for a single incentive, oh well.
With houses averaging 1.7 million in Vancouver no wonder they won't deal.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
tsincaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
With houses averaging 1.7 million in Vancouver no wonder they won't deal.
Haha, true, but I'm actually on Vancouver Island so I'm hitting up more of those dealerships. Having to take the ferry or plane is a PITA and adds a lot of cost to a round trip, so any deals on the mainland would have to be that much better.

I was actually curious who would offer bigger discounts, the big dealerships in cities like Vancouver where they have more cars and sales, or dealerships in the smaller towns/cities.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:20 AM   #8
Juventus

Drives: Convertible White Camaro 2SS/RS 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsincaat View Post
Haha, true, but I'm actually on Vancouver Island so I'm hitting up more of those dealerships. Having to take the ferry or plane is a PITA and adds a lot of cost to a round trip, so any deals on the mainland would have to be that much better.

I was actually curious who would offer bigger discounts, the big dealerships in cities like Vancouver where they have more cars and sales, or dealerships in the smaller towns/cities.
Good question
I was wondering myself whether to go to big dealerships here in the Ottawa/Gatineau Area or dealerships in smaller near towns
Juventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:28 AM   #9
prod

Usually the city dealers will go lower to beat the competition. Rural dealers figure they have you over a barrel with no other choices to buy.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #10
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
I did the spin to win got $1250 then talked them into giving me a extra thousand for my trade in. Said they would have to pay it out of pocket. So I feel like I saved $2250 after that I tried for a thousand off the car and they wouldn't lol

I should add this is Qauntrills porthope Ontario good to deal!
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #11
prod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016SS View Post
I did the spin to win got $1250 then talked them into giving me a extra thousand for my trade in. Said they would have to pay it out of pocket. So I feel like I saved $2250 after that I tried for a thousand off the car and they wouldn't lol

I should add this is Qauntrills porthope Ontario good to deal!
On a side note, since Camaro production was moved, do you notice any attitude around that area toward the new Camaro?
Old 02-05-2016, 07:19 PM   #12
tsincaat

An update, using the process of emailing local dealerships and asking for their best price I was able to get nearly $3000 off MSRP, along with a $300 Incentive. (Probably could have gotten a little more but I ended up purchasing from a relative). Keep in mind my car as optioned is pretty expensive and might be more than yours if you are trying to get a similar discount. I would suggest looking for a 5-6% discount off msrp if you can.

So, originally I thought I might not get much off, but clearly it's still possible to get a pretty good discount on a pretty highly optioned Camaro from the factory if you shop around.

For anyone else here looking to negotiate down a price, I would highly recommend this page: http://blog.unhaggle.com/get-dealers...g-war-new-car/ as I feel it was key to my success. I used one of the emails there and customized it a bit and had pretty good success with it, emailing 8 different dealerships in my area. 3 did not respond, but that's the way it goes.

Last edited by tsincaat; 02-05-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:20 PM   #13
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Hey prod no I don't see any attitude towards the new Camaro for that reason generally speaking everyone there loves it.

Personally only worry I have is new plant new workers ect I'm not sure how the 5 gen cars were at first seems the gen 6 has some bugs but I have a warranty and I am in with my local dealership good they have never let me down on a repair good mechanics.
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #14
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by prod View Post
It's a different market. Right now each dealer has one or two on the lot and seem happy to wait for someone willing to pay close to full retail. And if you want to order I'm betting it's even worse because of limited allocation and parts availability. I've been to canadian dealers that flat out refuse to do a factory order. Try a pm to one of the members here who have been successful.
allocation is based on dealership, not customer orders...sounds like a dealer fed you a nice bullshit sandwich trying to get u to believe MSRP is a reasonable price.
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote