Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #1
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
1st detail...

This car is easy to detail, the paint is respectable and takes a finishing polish well. so here's the regimen I use, much shorter than what most people use, as the polymer is a wipe on product, no buffing,it self cures and the durability is 3-4 months and cures like glass. When others are trying to dig the white haze powder off their car, around the badges and in the cracks, I'm done and driving. Its easy and fast.

1. wash and Nanoskin prep towel (much nicer than clay)
2. Finishing polish: Menzerna 4500, white med pad with a Griot's CORDLESS orbital. (get one for Xmas, they are great!)
3. One coat of Backfire Crystal Seal - prob one more next wash,. all of 15 min.

I put all my "how to" detailing docs in a dropbox if you want more info.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acxkaf44c...VlC5djtQa?dl=0

enjoy!

Last edited by Glen e; 12-13-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
Looks very nice. I still haven't tackled mine yet, clay bar, polish, then good coat of wax.
E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
This car is easy to detail, the paint is respectable and takes a finishing polish well. so here's the regimen I use, much shorter than what most people use, as the polymer is a wipe on product, no buffing,it self cures and the durability is 3-4 months and cures like glass. When others are trying to dig the white haze powder off their car, around the badges and in the cracks, I'm done and driving. Its easy and fast.

1. wash and Nanoskin prep towel (much nicer than clay)
2. Finishing polish: Menzerna 4500, white med pad with a Griot's CORDLESS orbital. (get one for Xmas, they are great!)
3. One coat of Backfire Crystal Seal - prob one more next wash,. all of 15 min.

I put all my "how to" detailing docs in a dropbox if you want more info.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acxkaf44c...VlC5djtQa?dl=0

enjoy!
Good choice of products. How do you like the cordless DA? I do full paint corrections, sealants, coatings, etc. Looks great!!!
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Thank you for taking the time to write the info and share it on dropbox! I couldn't even tell you exactly what I do since I just don't think about it and just do it mechanized lol. I almost got the cordless Griot's orbital, glad you like it! I may just grab one in the future
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
You got me interested in using the nanoskin instead of clay so I looked it up. The towel is $47 and the sponge is $11. Is the towel that much better?
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #6
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
You got me interested in using the nanoskin instead of clay so I looked it up. The towel is $47 and the sponge is $11. Is the towel that much better?
Nope just bigger.....
Old 12-13-2015, 05:54 PM   #7
GMGP5X

Drives: 2011 2LT RS VR 2008 Silverado 2500
That's for posting this info! Going to have to read all the drop box write-up.
2LT RS VR / ARK DTS Cat back exhaust / Roto-Fab CAI / RPI stealth mud guards /Defender works billet chrome door sills/ DIY painted engine cover, trunk corners, and brake rotors / RX catch can / Team LLT badges. Team LLT
GMGP5X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet435 View Post
Good choice of products. How do you like the cordless DA? I do full paint corrections, sealants, coatings, etc. Looks great!!!
The cordless orbital is excellent. Had it about a year, I've done the Vette, an X5 and now the Camaro and they all only took one battery each. It doesn't do major correction, obviously like a rupes or a flex, but it's great for a brand-new car where we're using fine polish like Meg's 205 or Menz 4500… it does do some correction, constantly turning. It's absolutely great when you're reaching down , and you can single-hand-hold-it-outstretched . ....Your back six hours later will love you for it. Great Christmas present. No I don't work for Griots.....LOL
Old 12-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The cordless orbital is excellent. Had it about a year, I've done the Vette, an X5 and now the Camaro and they all only took one battery each. It doesn't do major correction, obviously like a rupes or a flex, but it's great for a brand-new car where we're using fine polish like Meg's 205 or Menz 4500… it does do some correction, constantly turning. It's absolutely great when you're reaching down , and you can single-hand-hold-it-outstretched . ....Your back six hours later will love you for it. Great Christmas present. No I don't work for Griots.....LOL
I've got back problems. I've got a Flex 3401, PE14, PE8, picked up the new Griot's Boss 21, and my original machine Porter Cable. Sounds like you do some more serious detailing as well. The PC I can easily one hand. The Boss I can as well.
I hope the tintcoat is a little harder on you 2016 than my 2010. I ended up going with a coating for more scratch resistance. Did you use Iron X?
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #10
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet435 View Post
I've got back problems. I've got a Flex 3401, PE14, PE8, picked up the new Griot's Boss 21, and my original machine Porter Cable. Sounds like you do some more serious detailing as well. The PC I can easily one hand. The Boss I can as well.
I hope the tintcoat is a little harder on you 2016 than my 2010. I ended up going with a coating for more scratch resistance. Did you use Iron X?
10-4.....ill probably CQUK it sometime next year. Great stuff.....

I did not decon the paint ,but will do the wheels tomm with Sonax decon, and then carpro hydro2 the wheels . Love that stuff, drives sealant deep into the crevices by water....very cool.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #11
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Would a reputable detail shop do a "first detail" if I asked? What they know what I'm talking about? I think I'd rather pay someone to do this.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #12
andrec10

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6SP/Suby Legacy 6
When I get the car in the spring, I am gonna have SUN-TEK (Clear Bra) put on the front and have Ceramic Pro applied (With a paint correction). Then its easy to care for.
andrec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #13
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Would a reputable detail shop do a "first detail" if I asked? What they know what I'm talking about? I think I'd rather pay someone to do this.
Sure...just start looking around. A good clay polish and seal is 200-400, Id guess....but it is easy to do a simple one like this.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #14
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Glen, congratulations on your new Camaro !! She looks great. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the new car compared to your fifth gen. Camaro. Will you be going to the Ed Morse Show in Jan. or the AutoNation show in Feb.?