Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
StarkIndustries

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Ceramic paint coatings

What do you guys think about this idea?

Do you guy see the advantage to doing this for 500 or so? Too much gloss? Is it worth the price? I

My car will be nightfall gray with black rims and black bow ties.
StarkIndustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
I want to if i can find it for 500 dollars. Everywhere i see is 1000 and up
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
F N MUSCLE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Never had it done before but seriously looking into it. The way I see it, to properly maintain a daily driver, you will spend hours and hours trying to keep the paint factory fresh. I do the math of how much I make (a rough hourly estimate) and see if what I am spending will save me that much money in time.

With ceramic coating, it seems maintenance becomes much easier. My car will be garage kept when I am not at work. I can use a California car duster on the paint and not worry about scratching with ceramic coating. Should make it so washes only need to happen every two weeks, if that.

And then just run through a touch less car wash. Towel dry it immediately after and BAM! Hours and hours of my life saved for other things.

All depends on cost of course. A place 50 miles from me does opti coat pro for $595 and mild paint correction if needed for $150. $750 is not terrible and if the coating lasts me 4-5 years, I'll be happy with the price. Saves about 400 hours of car cleaning during that time.

Sounds good to me!
F N MUSCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
StarkIndustries

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Any down side to it?
StarkIndustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
F N MUSCLE

Again I am no expert with this. Still need to research it more. I have heard that after a few years, the coating will start to deteriorate. I think that depends on where it's driven and how well you take care of it. Might need to be recoated every 6-7 years. Not sure
Old 11-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Installer matters, a lot. Properly prep car matters a lot. Maintenance is still needed.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #7
Memphis43

Drives: Chevy
Over the years, I have noticed that ceramic coating makes paint chips a lot easier.

Opti coat is a good one to use though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Memphis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
As a detailer ive been using opti coat and cquartz for years. The only instance where I dont think a ceramic coating is cost effective is with daily drivers that see an automatic carwash regularly, and people who dont want to put forth the effort to maintaing the coating. A coating requires regular maintenace to last. That being PROPER car wash methods, and occasional decomtamination washes with something like carpro snow snow or iron x.

I would recommend a full paint correction and coating on any brand new car your not going to regularly take though a auto car wash. If your detailer knows what he is doing, the transformation is beyond amazing.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #9
F N MUSCLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbolsx View Post
As a detailer ive been using opti coat and cquartz for years. The only instance where I dont think a ceramic coating is cost effective is with daily drivers that see an automatic carwash regularly, and people who dont want to put forth the effort to maintaing the coating. A coating requires regular maintenace to last. That being PROPER car wash methods, and occasional decomtamination washes with something like carpro snow snow or iron x.

I would recommend a full paint correction and coating on any brand new car your not going to regularly take though a auto car wash. If your detailer knows what he is doing, the transformation is beyond amazing.
That was going to be my question to the detailer I am going to. Are touch less automatic car washes detrimental to the longevity of the coating? If so, I've always hand washed my cars, but lately, the beater car I am currently driving till my camaro gets here has gone through a local touch less car wash. Aside from the high powered jets of water, I think its a relatively easier way to maintain a daily driver and doesn't result in horrible scratches to the paint.

But again, I want something that will keep the paint from scratching as easily and something that keeps it fresh for as long as possible. Ceramic seems the best route. So the maintenance it requires is something to consider.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #10
mjgocamaro_girl

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS mosaic black
What can I do to keep the rally stripes shiny and protected like the paint?
mjgocamaro_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #11
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Yeah I am going the route of the ceramic Cquartz and really wanted to do the Cquartz Pro. Although those detailers really just went overboard with pricing. No offense to any detailers but I am not paying $1,000 for a days worth of work with paint correction. I know how much the product costs and a day labor. I understand good detailers are worth good money. At $500 I was a player. Although that is just absurd. Ceramic coatings only last 2 maybe 3 years if not daily driven.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #12
DannyB

Drives: Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkIndustries View Post
What do you guys think about this idea?

Do you guy see the advantage to doing this for 500 or so? Too much gloss? Is it worth the price? I

My car will be nightfall gray with black rims and black bow ties.
Here is another thread where ceramic coatings were discussed.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424274
DannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #13
RenegadeSS

Drives: Camaro LLT
I'm getting ceramic pro, because of their life time warranty. http://www.ceramicproamericas.com/gold-package/
Old 11-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #14
ToyotaGasPedal

Drives: Hyper Blue SS
So which brand of coating would people on here recommend? I've been trying to find comparisons but there really doesn't seem to be a lot of information. I guess right now I'm debating between cquartz finest, Gyeon Q2 MOHS+ , or Kamikaze ISM. Also has anyone tried to apply these themselves, how difficult is it?
ToyotaGasPedal is offline   Reply With Quote