Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > CANADA

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
ZKJR88

Drives: 2017 CAMARO RS
Help me out here - 50/50 on a Camaro 6

I will need a car very soon and its been a dream of mine to get a Camaro for a while now. I got a chance to test drive a SS a couple of years back and it brought a smile to my face. I still remember that feeling to this day. I was on cloud 9.

But sometimes I think I'm in the wrong region to be driving a Camaro. The winters with the salty roads will destroy my baby. I plan on driving it year round, taking it work. Thought about many things, such as storing it away in the winter.

For those who have had a Camaro for years, what's your take?

I also plan on keeping this car LONG TERM (as in >10 years). Good idea or a money pit?
ZKJR88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #2

Drives: 1970 Vette,16 1SS, 07 Ford Taurus
Personally I wouldn't buy a Camaro SS or any performance/sports car and drive it year round unless I lived in a sunny/year round climate like Florida or Cali, or Las Vegas. You get the point. I would buy a beater as a daily driver. Like you I plan on keeping this Camaro for a very long time. I have had my Vette for 8 years and don't plan on every getting rid of it just like this new SS unless some catastrophe occurs. If you were planning on buying a SS get a 1SS instead of a 2SS and for the price difference you can buy a cheap dd vehicle. I
70454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
ShadowPuppet
REDYRNOT

Drives: "Fawkes" - 2016 GRT 2SS Convertible
Speaking as someone who's owned a Camaro year-round for 3 (nearly 4) years now and who also lives just outside of Toronto, I can say it's really not that big of a deal. As long as you get some good quality snow tires and take it easy during the winters, you'll be fine.

That being said, there are days where I would rather have taken out a different car purely because the amount of salt and crap that gets inside the car even if you're very careful like me haha. Expect to spend a couple hundred dollars each year to have the salt cleaned out and the car cleaned up.

In my opinion, what it really comes down to are your goals for the car. For me, I'd rather spend every waking moment driving it as much as I can and enjoying the car for what it is. For some people, they would rather garage queen their vehicles and drive a beater in the winter. Both are totally fine options it just depends on what you would prefer.

For what it's worth, I am picking up my new 2SS convertible in a few weeks that I plan to drive year-round, rain or shine, snow or sleet. Just make sure you save up a few bucks for cleaning once the nice weather comes out!

ShadowPuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
I bought mine to be my daiy driver and it is.

Awesome car in the winter,just get some Blizzaks and a set of Weathertech mats.

I am sure the Gen 6 will be as good or better.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
Mud Z06

Drives: Car
Get a daily for the worst weather months and the Camaro for the other 9.

I always respected people driving sports cars year round though -- given the proper tires.

When the ZL1 came out that first winter I was in a parking garage and saw one. Absolutely covered in salt + road grime and thought "yea... that is awesome."
Mud Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
ZKJR88

Drives: 2017 CAMARO RS
Yeah I have an 02 Civic with winters. I don't know how long that will last.

What can I be expecting with fuel costs?
ZKJR88 is offline   Reply With Quote