Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-17-2017, 11:31 PM   #15
Aboynamedsue

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Yes. I never use mine. Defeats one of the joys of driving a stick. I'd like to take off the paddles.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:40 PM   #16
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Is using helpful technology cheating? Cheating on what, "purity"?

It's a modern car, so nobody can claim the car is "pure" in any way relative to previous generation vehicles. Otherwise, closed-loop EFI with knock-sensor-feedback ignition would be cheating, airbags, ABS, stability control, FEA'd crumple zones, safety glass, electronic accelerator pedals, non-cable speedometers, tilt/telescope steering column, Stereo, Bluetooth, USB, Immobilizer, power remote proximity locks, windows, seats, and mirrors would all be cheating.

So it's a big No, it's not cheating unless you're a Luddite that would refuse to buy a new car anyway. On top of that, nobody is making anyone use it, it's simply there if you want it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Of course not. If that's considered cheating then synchros are considered cheating.

Good points, if it's there then you might as well use it.

As great as all of the new technology is (and the reason why I'll probably always have a car payment) it gets to the point where driver skill is a lot less important. That was always my argument with the new automatic fad, particular for drag racing. Of course the auto can shift faster than a human but in the case of drag racing isn't part of the satisfaction of a getting a good time knowing that you had a good launch and shifts? Bear in mind I've never drag raced so I don't know a ton about it...
Old 07-18-2017, 04:34 AM   #17
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I use it on long trips or when I'm tired and don't want to really think about matching revs on my way home from somewhere. I would never use it on the track or when I'm out on a spirited/pleasure drive... I got a manual for a reason. With that said, setting NPP to stealth and turning on rev-matching in traffic is a very nice luxury for a manual sports car and I'm glad the Camaro has these features. Maybe it even convinced a few people to buy the manual version because it's easier to live with
Old 07-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #18
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Of course not. If that's considered cheating then synchros are considered cheating.
Amen.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #19
TedJS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
I did do a search on this first (although I'll admit it was alot of title skimming) but it didn't appear it was directly addressed. For those of us with the M6 do you consider using active rev match as "cheating," at least to some extent?
Use it most the time when driving except around the neighborhood at low speeds - don't want to scare the young kinds plus it's a bit obnoxious.

Other than that... Best use of software ever on a car.

It's NOT cheating.
TedJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #20
TheMojoRising
LOVEMY502SS

Drives: 2017 CAMARO 2SS 50TH EDITION M6,SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
Yeah I never realized the upshift factor until I forgot to turn it on a few times. I though about maybe driving it for a little while without it on to get my skills back up but damn it works so nice.

To me the rev match is one of the tougher aspects of a manual, aside from starting on a hill especially when someone pulls right up to your back bumper, so I guess that's why using it makes me wonder...
Remember, we have active hill assist
Old 07-18-2017, 08:16 PM   #21
TheMojoRising
LOVEMY502SS

Drives: 2017 CAMARO 2SS 50TH EDITION M6,SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboynamedsue View Post
Yes. I never use mine. Defeats one of the joys of driving a stick. I'd like to take off the paddles.
I totally agree with you. Reminds me of the first manual I learned on, it didn't have rev match, and I loved driving it! Don't need the paddles either!
Old 07-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #22
Aboynamedsue

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMojoRising View Post
I totally agree with you. Reminds me of the first manual I learned on, it didn't have rev match, and I loved driving it! Don't need the paddles either!
I wish the radio controls were located where the paddles are.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:02 PM   #23
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
For those of us who are manual affectionatos, this era where automatics are now the faster and more efficient option is a bit of a sad one. Rev matching is a special little recent development that improves manual transmission technology as it makes its almost certain disappearance from the automotive world. The only cheating is on yourself if you don't use it.
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #24
Sheriff37
Do it for Dale

Drives: '16 NFGray V6 M6
I love the idea of rev-match, I wish I had it on mine! I wouldn't say I'd use it all the time, but it would really come in handy for long drives and late nights (as one earlier responder said). I don't count hill-start as cheating so I feel the same about this, whatever might make my life easier is good with me
Sheriff37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #25
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMojoRising View Post
Remember, we have active hill assist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff37 View Post
I love the idea of rev-match, I wish I had it on mine! I wouldn't say I'd use it all the time, but it would really come in handy for long drives and late nights (as one earlier responder said). I don't count hill-start as cheating so I feel the same about this, whatever might make my life easier is good with me

I don't love the hill assist. I wasn't used to having it so even after a year of owning this car (and 3300 miles) I still don't expect it and it throws my timing off.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #26
jlagman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I love it because I love hearing the LT1 rev, even while driving it normally. I heel-toe my truck, so it's not a case of not being able to do it myself, I just like it. Hill-holder though, I could do without.

Like a lot of other things, it's a option, so if you feel it's "beneath you" feel free to not use it.
jlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #27
80sMetalDude

Drives: .
I dont have a long history of owning a manual so the only thing I dont like about it is when it over revs the motor for the least subtle changes necessary.

I dont like people thinking I'm trying to say LOOKY AT ME and my fast car when I'm not.... If I mean to show off you'll know it.
80sMetalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #28
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Auto Rev Match is a great feature on our cars. On the other hand the brake-accelerator pedal positioning is less optimal for do-it-yourself rev matching (compared to BMW). I do use the auto rev match every single time I drive, no reservations about "cheating".
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote