Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #15
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
AutoZone in CA no longer offers OBD scans (mechanics sued--- and won--- claiming that AutoZone was responsible for too many people doing thier own work, a loss of income to mechanics... yay, Kalifornia). Other states, I do not know about, but... I promise you, once you buy your OWN OBD scanner, you'll never need to wonder if AutoZone can scan something for you again!
Wow that sounds like some communist BS goin on over there.

And I'll go today see which 2 are on
Old 08-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #16
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I'm coming up needing smog in Jan of 2017... a bit nervous due to the HFC's. I've never smogged this vehicle before... I'm hoping for an OBDII test.

Good luck with your situation, Homeless Man...
The OBD test is done on all cars (newer than 1995 or so, give or take a couple of years) in CA now, with no sniffer put in the tailpipe for those cars... they do a visual check (looking for obvious deficiencies or forbidden mods), then they plug into the OBD port. Sacramento's computer's then read your car's computer. If your car shows anything out of synch with perfection, then, failure, cursing, and money.

I've got a number of cars, and, sometimes, it's just easier to, uh, pay a little extra to the smog tech to encourage them to find a passing score... however, this seems to be almost impossible to do with the new OBD check, as nobody (that I am aware of) has figured out how to make any "adjustments" to the readings being transmitted to Sacramento.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #17
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
just got mine inspected yesterday, blinked a couple lights, hit the brake once, pass dude needs to move to WV LOL

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #18
cb66

Drives: 13 2SS/RS HWSE Camaro # 959
Its possible it could be the tune , I also live in PA in an emissions county as well, that's why I was a bit leery when it came to the mods but with the few that I have passed every time. What pisses me off about this emissions crap it one county over from where I live doesn't require them but no matter where you drive in PA you see pieces of crap smoking and held together with duct tape that have current inspections stickers !
Roto Fab CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder series exhaust , Elite Engineering catch can, Range AFM delete ,Oracle LED side marker lights ,Plasma LED DRL Lights & harness, LED License Plate bulbs, Xpel Ultimate paint protection film.
cb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #19
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
The OBD test is done on all cars (newer than 1995 or so, give or take a couple of years) in CA now, with no sniffer put in the tailpipe for those cars... they do a visual check (looking for obvious deficiencies or forbidden mods), then they plug into the OBD port. Sacramento's computer's then read your car's computer. If your car shows anything out of synch with perfection, then, failure, cursing, and money.
Its actually not all that bad. All they do is a visual inspection, then plug into the diagnostic port to make sure there are no codes and that all the monitors are set. That's pretty much it. Only info sent to Sacramento is whether to pass or fail. People complain about California emissions tests, but they're pretty easy to pass. Other states have it far worse with their inspections for the littlest things.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #20
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Its actually not all that bad. All they do is a visual inspection, then plug into the diagnostic port to make sure there are no codes and that all the monitors are set. That's pretty much it. Only info sent to Sacramento is whether to pass or fail. People complain about California emissions tests, but they're pretty easy to pass. Other states have it far worse with their inspections for the littlest things.
I hope so...

So once it gets smogged, how long before I've got to do it again? Every year??
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #21
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
The most direct answer to your question is, yes, AutoZone or any major auto parts store can hook an OBDII to your car, and tell you if the monitors are set yet. They likely will never reset since you've changed to LTH's and HFC's, and no longer have the tune which adjusted for these. You do not need to have a CEL on to have monitors in a "not ready" status. You can also buy yourself an inexpensive OBDII reader and do it yourself, clear your own codes in the future, and help yourself trouble shoot problems down the road. A basic tool for any home mechanic.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #22
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I hope so...

So once it gets smogged, how long before I've got to do it again? Every year??
Nope. Every other year. Or seven years after the purchase of a brand new vehicle. I have an early 2011, first registered in 2010 and have yet to need an emissions test. I just paid for my 2017 registration.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #23
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
The most direct answer to your question is, yes, AutoZone or any major auto parts store can hook an OBDII to your car, and tell you if the monitors are set yet. They likely will never reset since you've changed to LTH's and HFC's, and no longer have the tune which adjusted for these. You do not need to have a CEL on to have monitors in a "not ready" status. You can also buy yourself an inexpensive OBDII reader and do it yourself, clear your own codes in the future, and help yourself trouble shoot problems down the road. A basic tool for any home mechanic.
I read another post like this saying it will never reset because of my mods well today I checked and they're all ready. All I did was drive around a bit more. You should check ur facts first because that's annoying to see and believe made me think I would never pass
Old 08-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #24
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I have some readiness monitors on other cars that never complete. That's the reason you can have 1 and still pass. It does happen... having mods is only gonna make it more likely.

But glad you OK now.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #25
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
I read another post like this saying it will never reset because of my mods well today I checked and they're all ready. All I did was drive around a bit more. You should check ur facts first because that's annoying to see and believe made me think I would never pass

Glad they are all ready. With long tubes getting those rear O2 sensors to check in correctly is pretty difficult, most people end up with a check engine light because that test will repeatedly fail. It's great that it worked out for you.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #26
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
LoL. Low Saturn is smokin something. I lived in CA for over 50 years. It sucks ass for smog checks and many other things I might add. Best thing I ever did was move out of that crap place they call a state.

Good luck OP. If you have any mods on there that don't have a carb number have fun.
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #27
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtowman View Post
I believe Hammdo had info in his build thread on how he did it.
I do -- 2 ways, 1 I put in PDF (Drive cycle from the Service Center) and how to do it with the Tech2

Looks like the drive cycle worked for him. I felt your pain ;o)...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #28
Low Saturn

Not smoking anything, never have. I've lived here for 45 years. Emissions testing have actually got simpler and easier in the past few years. A quick visual inspection then they plug into the diagnostic port. If there are no codes and ALL the monitors are complete, you pass.

Easy.

Don't have to do a sniffer test. Don't have to get on the rollers. As long as you maintain your vehicles, there should be able to pass. A couple years ago I had a 1993 Saturn SW2 with 500,000 miles on it easily pass. And that one did have to go on the rollers and do the sniffer.

I love it here and wouldn't live anywhere else.