Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Question Failed Emissions, 2 Monitors Not Ready, Can Autozone Check?

Update: drove around some more and they are all ready

So I lost my tune due to some warranty work and procrastinated until inspection time. So I went and got my tune back then drove around 70 miles (non highway) and went to dealer and I failed due to 2 monitors not ready (I can pass if only 1 failed) I drove around another 70 miles, non highway so a total of 140 and went to the dealer and those 2 still failed. Now they gave me the exact drive cycle steps outlined by chevy to do but I still haven't.

Now my mods are 1 7/8 longtube headers, highflow cats, CAI, PTB, muffler delete, and dynotune and I live in Pennsylvania. Can I go to autozone or something and have them check on the scanner to see if they are ready so I don't go waste time at the dealer or does the scanner thing not check that? Any tips to get at least 1 ready?

Last edited by Homeless Man; 08-05-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Homeless Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Also I saw a random post on here saying that those monitors will never be ready with the mods LT headers, hi flow cats. Is that true?
Old 08-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Mods + DIY tune? You might be screwed, will let others chime in with real experience.

I hear our members talk about going to see their pro shops to get a temporary tune for inspection, visit a mod friendly inspection shop or their car is already tuned professionally permanently to not throw any codes.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
ABM2010RS

Drives: 2010 ABM RS camaro
move to Clearfield pa no emission testing here
ABM2010RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Which monitors are not setting? I'll bet it's the Catalyst and O2 sensor switching. Those can be a real pain with headers - typically the rear O2 (what would be the Catalyst test) are tuned right out so they do not report. Then the O2 switching can be marginal with headers because of the changes in the sensor location and exhaust flow past the sensor.

I can actually get my car to throw a code for insufficient O2 switching if I lug it around in 6th gear at <60mph speeds. Just the nature of the exhaust changes and the sensors response.

Might be that you can get one of the monitors to test ok with a proper OBDII drive cycle, but you may need work on the tune. No CEL, right, just not setting the monitor?
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!

Last edited by acammer; 08-04-2016 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
you can buy a cheap USB OBD-II connector on ebay and download free OBD2 software to check if the monitors change to COMPLETE.

The Autozone scanner might show this also. There is usually an option for something like Smog Check or something that shows the readiness monitors. Some on my older cars never go to COMPLETE. Some older cars can have 2 NOT READY and pass... newer cars can only have 1. it's a real PIA to get them to complete sometimes.

Do you know which systems haven't completed?? I bet one of them is EVAP system???

Basically I would fill up the tank and not fill up till it's empty. Try to drive long stretches. One of the monitors (I think EVAP system) has to have 3/4 tank or more to run. WAIT now I'm re-reading it has to be between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of gas to run.

Last edited by maddoggyusa; 08-03-2016 at 02:04 PM.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

No check engine light and I was under the impression you could pass emissions in PA with the mods I have. I made a thread about it. I just need 1 of the two to be ready to pass. I read a post to let it sit overnight then idle for 10 minutes in morning and 1 of them will turn ready.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:37 PM   #8
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Really, you gotta figure out which monitors you're having trouble with, or you're just taking shots in the dark. Drop by a parts store with a scanner and check it out - report back what you find. From there there are some potential options depending on the system giving you trouble.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!

Last edited by acammer; 08-04-2016 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Next day spelling correction
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #9
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
I believe Hammdo had info in his build thread on how he did it.
2011 SGM Camaro 1SS/RS A6 - Vengeance Racing built/tuned. 590RWHP/560RWTQ, ADM LSA Conversion, 2.5 Grip-Tec, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, FIC1000, VRPD2 Cam and LS3 Conversion with all the internal goodies, American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, no cats, SW Retro Cat Back, ADM Intake, AFCO HX, Varimax Pump, Rotofab Reservoir, B&M Transmission Cooler, VMAX TB, Elite Engineering CC, BMR LCAs, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, DSS 1000hp axles, ZL1 Bumper and Sideskirts, Night Owl Halos, Matte Black 20" Rohana RC-22 with 20x10-275s/20x11-315s, R1 Concept Premier Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #10
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Not sure why you're failing unless it is something with the tune. I have the exact same type of mods, LT's w/cats, catback (Solo Mach XL so muffled x pipe with muffler delete and J pipes), cold air intake, ported throttle body, and custom dyno tune. I passed with flying colors first time through the inspection station in PA. I'd be surprised if I drove 150 miles after the tune. Might try somewhere other than a dealer?
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #11
mustang50lx

Drives: 2015 SS
Which 2 are not ready?
mustang50lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #12
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
If your check engine light is not illuminated, you are probably good... but, it can take a while to get the monitors ("tags") to clear (can't pass smog until the monitors are good to go). The monitors that have not reset are only indicating that you have not driven enough for them to have been reset.

Of course, when you DO reach the mileage requirements for them to have been fully "tested and approved," it's always possible that the check engine light might pop on, and then you get to start over from scratch. However, it is PROBABLY just a matter of doing the miles.

The drive cycle is your best bet. You mentioned that the dealer gave you the drive cycle steps. I recommend doing those... it'll be a lot faster than just driving around, hoping to EVENTUALLY clear the monitors... which COULD take a few hundred miles. Really.

I also recommend buying an OBD scanner. They are cheap these days: You can find a typical handheld unti for well under $50, or, for $20, one that plugs into the port and sends all of it's info to your smartphone. I'm sure that the handheld will indicate monitors that have cleared/ not cleared... not sure about the smartphone type.

AutoZone in CA no longer offers OBD scans (mechanics sued--- and won--- claiming that AutoZone was responsible for too many people doing thier own work, a loss of income to mechanics... yay, Kalifornia). Other states, I do not know about, but... I promise you, once you buy your OWN OBD scanner, you'll never need to wonder if AutoZone can scan something for you again!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #13
1LEJNG

Drives: Red Hot 2014 1LE
Failed

When we used to have inspections in Minnesota, I was driving an old Isuzu Trooper. I failed one time and was told to put a couple cans of Heet gas line deicer in a partial tank. I did, it passed, just say'n, maybe.

I know it's wrong and don't remember the science behind it, but it worked.
1LEJNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #14
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
I'm coming up needing smog in Jan of 2017... a bit nervous due to the HFC's. I've never smogged this vehicle before... I'm hoping for an OBDII test.

Good luck with your situation, Homeless Man...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote