Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS4DS View Post
I tried looking for this TSB on line and can not find it anywhere. Is someone able to find it and post it here or PM me with it? I will be taking the Camaro in for its oil change next week and that would be a perfect time for them ot fix it.

Thanks
Here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSB Infos
Service Information
Document ID: 2549392
#PI0319: Chipped Paint on Rear Compartment Lid at Spoiler Mounting Area - (Dec 2, 2010)

Subject:Chipped Paint on Rear Compartment Lid at Spoiler Mounting Area

Models:2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro

<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2549392&releaseDate=2010-12-02&name=Chipped+Paint+on+Rear+Compartment+Lid+at+S poiler+Mounting+Area&from=ns&bulletinNbr=PI0319#ss 1-2549392">Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that the rear compartment lid mounted spoiler is making contact with the rear compartment lid. This contact condition may cause paint damage to the rear compartment lid.
This condition may caused by the spoiler gaskets and spacers having insufficient material thickness.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2549392&releaseDate=2010-12-02&name=Chipped+Paint+on+Rear+Compartment+Lid+at+S poiler+Mounting+Area&from=ns&bulletinNbr=PI0319#ss 2-2549392">Recommendation/Instructions

A spacer kit with revised gaskets and spacers has been made available to correct this condition. Use the following steps to remove the old gaskets and spacers from the spoiler and to install the new spacer kit onto the spoiler.
  1. <LI type=1>Remove the fasteners that attach the rear edge of the rear compartment lid carpet. Lower the rear edge of the carpet to access the center spoiler fasteners (it is not necessary to remove the complete carpet assembly).

<LI type=1>Remove the four plugs on the rear outer corners of the rear compartment lid. <LI type=1>Loosen and remove the six spoiler fastening nuts. <LI type=1>Release the one center mounted spoiler retainer and remove the spoiler from the vehicle. <LI type=1>Place the spoiler assembly on a clean work cloth with no dirt or debris that may damage the paint finish on the spoiler.

<LI type=1>Remove the foam rubber gaskets and spacers from the underside of the spoiler assembly. There are seven gaskets and six spacer strips. <LI type=1>Use a general purpose adhesive solvent to remove any rubber or adhesive residue left on the spoiler assembly.

<LI type=1>Install the two short and four long spacers on the underside of the spoiler in the same position as the original spacers. Note: There are seven round gaskets in the kit. The six thicker gaskets go on the mounting studs, the one thin gasket goes on the retaining clip.

<LI type=1>Install the six gaskets onto the spoiler assembly at the mounting stud locations.

<LI type=1>Install the one retaining clip gasket. Important: It is important to perform the paint repair to prevent future corrosion concerns.
    <LI type=1>Repair any paint damage on the rear compartment lid. <LI type=1>Reinstall the spoiler assembly. <LI type=1>Apply GM MEDIUM-STRENGTH THREADLOCKER - BLUE #12345382 (in Canada, use 10953489) to the rear spoiler studs. <LI type=1>Install and tighten the six nuts to the rear spoiler studs. Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 6 N·m (53 lb in).
    <LI type=1>Reinstall the four plugs on the rear outer corners of the rear compartment lid.
  2. Reinstall the fasteners that attach the rear edge of the rear compartment lid carpet. With the rear compartment lid carpet installed, check the emergency release handle for binding or sticking. If it is binding or sticking, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 10-08-66-001.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2549392&releaseDate=2010-12-02&name=Chipped+Paint+on+Rear+Compartment+Lid+at+S poiler+Mounting+Area&from=ns&bulletinNbr=PI0319#ss 3-2549392">Parts Information

Part Number
Description
Qty
(in Canada, use 10953489)
GM MEDIUM-STRENGTH THREADLOCKER -- BLUE #12345382
As Required
Spacer Kit - R/End Spoiler Support
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2549392&releaseDate=2010-12-02&name=Chipped+Paint+on+Rear+Compartment+Lid+at+S poiler+Mounting+Area&from=ns&bulletinNbr=PI0319#ss 4-2549392">Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
B9957*
Install Rear Compartment Lid Spoiler Gasket Kit
0.6 hr
* This is a unique labor operation for PI use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
© 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
RS4DS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Dan
RS4DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
BlackIce1066
Black Ice

Drives: 2SS/RS Black w/ silver ice stripes
Yeah mine did the same thing. At first the dealer didn't want to believe that it was a common problem (local dealer in my town..ehm ehm) until I actually went out to their lot and found two more Camaros that had the same issue. Then they finally believed me. Needless to say, after that I do not go to them anymore.

The whole trunk lid was painted and washers installed.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #18
goatslapper
12.527@112.33 MPH

Drives: 2010 black ss/rs cgm stripes
Mine did that after 2 weeks of ownership and the the horrors began. Thanks to this forum I found the same tsb and they repaired. Upon inspection,over spray on the whole car,even in the door jambs,SS on trunk lid upside down and 3 big gouges in one rim. They fixed everything,but now my swirl free paint was no more.
Onto my obsession with polishing to make it right.

Good luck with your dealer. I still go to mine because it was the body shop fault and dealer made good on all of the issues.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
niznos

Drives: 2010 2SS MT RS
Ugh. I got this issue too. I guess I'll be going there to see about it. My dealership experiences are ALWAYS terrible. Sigh. Here we go again...

Thanks for sharing the info, nonetheless.
niznos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by niznos View Post
Ugh. I got this issue too. I guess I'll be going there to see about it. My dealership experiences are ALWAYS terrible. Sigh. Here we go again...

Thanks for sharing the info, nonetheless.

Please let us know how your dealership service appointment goes. We are here if you have any questions.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #21
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
has anyone reported this issue happening on 2012's? just curious is all.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
JWMotoring

Drives: 2018 SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrammer View Post
Common issue covered under 36/36 warranty. I'd touch up the edge and bolt it back on. If dealer repairs you will get full trunk lid repaint and buff resulting in streaking, blending over your rear fenders and scratches from compound. If they don't remove your stripes results will be worse.
I agree. I think I would pass on that. Touch up and forget about it.
JWMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #23
niznos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Please let us know how your dealership service appointment goes. We are here if you have any questions.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
I appreciate the concern Brandon.

Stopped in today at Bob McCosh Chevrolet in Columbia, MO to address 2 TSBs under my CPO "bumper-to-bumper limited" warranty. 1) Exhaust muffler baffle separation which causes buzzing/vibration; and 2) This paint/spoiler issue.

1) Located problem and will order exhaust parts in for fix next week. I agreed to this.

2) This paint TSB is not covered under the CPO 1yr/12000mi warranty; nor is it covered under the corrosion warranty. I'm not happy with this finding, but I didn't bother arguing with the writer, since it has never helped before.

So far, the CPO warranty has been a let down. It hasn't been much better than buying a car off the street, as is. Everytime I have a claim, I'm told it's not covered, but yet they insist on calling it a "bumper-to-bumper." Logically, "bumper-to-bumper" and "limited" are fundamentally opposite.

And when I asked for documents that define exactly what is included in this misnamed warranty, I was told by my salesman he doesn't have it, the service dept from 2 different dealerships didn't have it, then the chevrolet.com rep told me she was not allowed to send emails or hardcopies of it, but she can "read it to me." Was I supposed to record it and play it back for the service writer when there's a dispute? The only reason I didn't ask for documents at the time of the sale was because under the logic of it being a "bumper-to-bumper," I didn't think I would need a paper to tell me, "everything."

I ended up speaking to a total of 3 chevrolet.com reps on the phone before I finally found some documents on gmcertified.com that mostly, but not completely, defined the terms of the CPO warranty. In the end I had to tell the reps where the info was online.

So far the GM/Chevrolet experience has been a real disappointment.

You may not believe it, but this is the short version.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #24
niznos

I think I'm going to have to order the GM repair kit 22785872, and some Dr. Colorchip to try to fix this myself.

It'll be another project planned for this Spring.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #25
2011 SS SLP ZL427

Drives: 2011 SS ZL427
Trunk Lid Paint Chipping Off

I had this problem with mine it only had 75 miles on it! However I didnt trust the dealer to do the repair so what I ended up doing is taking the trunk off the car myself and taking it to a professional bodyshop of a person I thoroughly trust to do the repair and color match paying out of pocket which I didnt mind because I didnt want the trunk on the car when it was getting done like alot of dealers working flat rate would do, I figure if the trunk was removed theres no problems of overspray on the car and its only 4 bolts and an electrical connection to remove the deck lid, Id rather go through removing the trunk then having problems with other parts of the car during the dealer paint process in the paint booth, However the problem I found was the GM kit for the spoiler the spacers are only made of thin foam once you snug the bolts the spoiler is right up against the trunk again, So I took one of the spacers from the GM kit traced them on a rubber sheet cut the rubber spacers out of the sheet and with the solid rubber spacers once the bolts were snugg for the spoiler the spacing was achieveable so no further damage would occur.
2011 SS SLP ZL427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #26
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
yeah they should definitely be rubber and not foam. I had this TSB done back in '11 and I have to take it back in for the same reason a little over a year later.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
Yeti

Drives: Summit White RS
Well wish I would have not seen this forum, went out to the grauge and yep my paint is rubbed off.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
niznos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
yeah they should definitely be rubber and not foam. I had this TSB done back in '11 and I have to take it back in for the same reason a little over a year later.
I Just managed to talk my dealer into doing this TSB, even though I was out of warraty, after they damanged my bumper on an unrelated service. I guess I will have to replace the spacers with rubber after I get it back, or I will really be on my own once the condition returns.