Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 04-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #29
stella16
1959 Chevy Apache 4X4

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I bought mine without doing much research. I came from the Dave Ramsey philosophy of driving a clunker for a while. It finally died.

I was renting a car for a week and felt a bit of pressure to get something. I fell in love with my Camaro as soon as I walked past it.

I drove, bought it that night.

I know.....

but I don't regret it

mine is an A8, no MRC, no NPP

I seriously would not have ever had second thoughts about any of these choices, until I started reading this forum

now, I entertain a 2018 ZL1 that's fully loaded and exactly like I would draw it up.

I sometimes even wonder about my Nightfall Grey, and if I'd be happier with a color that didn't show the dust.

when it's clean, it's beautiful

I dust her almost everyday with one of those red dust mops for cars
stella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #30
crabman

Drives: Sniffin the tree.
The mag ride doesn't sell itself well on a test ride because its attributes are not immediately obvious. You can switch the modes and notice a difference on a rough strip of pavement but that isn't the whole story by any means. So what's missing?

I regularly go up on on ramp to the freeway that turns 90 degrees with about a 60' rise from the start of the on ramp to the freeway. It was constructed in two pieces starting from both ends simultaneously and met in the middle where a slight miscalculation came to light. The lower entry section was about and inch taller than the upper section where they met. They used the rather expedient fix of posting a 35 mph speed limit at the lower portion of the on ramp and the drop remained. Of course you can go faster but the car will hop to the side a little bit as its exactly mid corner which can be disconcerting even if you're expecting it. Really cook the ramp and you'll go off the road into a mercifully flat grassy area that lies between the freeway and the ramp. So... I got C6 at the opening gun, didn't have mag ride. Went up that ramp regularly at just below the speed of oh crap and enjoyed my little sideways hop before I really got on it. Fast forward a few years and I traded in, liked that vette so I got another but that one had mag ride. A few days into ownership at the exact same spot, same speed, the car didn't take that hop at all. I could repeat it over and over. The difference was striking and even though I'd been driving the car for a few days I didn't expect it. It was my first lesson in the not so obvious benefits of mag ride. Mag ride handles the road better all the time every day. All of you know of a spot like I just described, some sort of bad piece of road. I think most of you probably know what it's like to be hot footing it and run into one of those pieces of road that you couldn't see coming. You probably made it but had a little bit of that "phew, dodged a bullet there" feeling about you. Mag ride gets you through those spots better, it might even get you through one of those spots where you wouldn't have otherwise.

Going back to the comfort aspect it is something that you understand while you are on a test drive but I at least didn't fully appreciate it until I become accustomed to simply dialing it down over a rough stretch of pavement. Mag ride is the rare cake where you can have it and can eat it too, its all win.

I think if I were to sum it up it might be in something everyone is familiar with, that being overall level of forum approval. I've had a lot of cars and been on a lot of forums. On any forum where a car can be had with or without electronically adjustable dampers and people ask about it the approval from owners will be nearly 100 percent. You will read comments like, "wouldn't buy another car without it", "I bought this car as a toy but now I find much more user friendly with the mag ride and its turned into my daily driver" and on and on. I cant offhand think of a more universally liked option across the entire spectrum of buyers and car types.

The stock suspension setup on this car has received excellent marks everywhere and I agree with those reviews. It's one of the best ride/handling combos I've ever driven. Doesn't matter, no matter how good the stock suspension is the mag ride is the next level and it plays out every day on every road all day long. Speaking for myself that box gets a check in it every time without fail.
crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #31
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella16 View Post
I bought mine without doing much research. I came from the Dave Ramsey philosophy of driving a clunker for a while. It finally died.

I was renting a car for a week and felt a bit of pressure to get something. I fell in love with my Camaro as soon as I walked past it.

I drove, bought it that night.

I know.....

but I don't regret it

mine is an A8, no MRC, no NPP

I seriously would not have ever had second thoughts about any of these choices, until I started reading this forum

now, I entertain a 2018 ZL1 that's fully loaded and exactly like I would draw it up.

I sometimes even wonder about my Nightfall Grey, and if I'd be happier with a color that didn't show the dust.

when it's clean, it's beautiful

I dust her almost everyday with one of those red dust mops for cars
A paint coating or a good sealant will help cut down on the dust. Is it garage kept?
2/8/16 3000 TPW 2/29
2/18/16 3400
3/3/16 3800
3/4/16 4B00
3/5/16 4300
3/7/16 4200!!!
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #32
stella16
1959 Chevy Apache 4X4

Drives: 2017 ZL1
it is garage kept. any recommendations?
stella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #33
AndOne707

Drives: 350
I have been on the fence about the entire MRC set up.
However I am considering adding coil overs once I purchase my new SS.
At this point from what I have read, I'm better off going the 1SS package route vs. getting MRC I take ?
AndOne707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #34
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndOne707 View Post
At this point from what I have read, I'm better off going the 1SS package route vs. getting MRC I take ?
MRC can be ordered with either a 1SS or 2SS.

If you know you want to do coil overs...don't get MRC. It's a waste of money.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #35
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
I have something similar to MRC on a BMW motorcycle and love it.

One question that I almost hate to ask is:

Has anyone had to replace their magnetic shocks yet? I am wondering how long until they are worn out and if they can be rebuilt or if you must buy new and how much that costs?
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I have something similar to MRC on a BMW motorcycle and love it.

One question that I almost hate to ask is:

Has anyone had to replace their magnetic shocks yet? I am wondering how long until they are worn out and if they can be rebuilt or if you must buy new and how much that costs?
There's no valves to replace....so either the seals have to fail, or the electromagnetic coils (somehow) stop working. A new strut/shock seems to retail for about $600-700...but can be gotten for about $350-400.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #37
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
There's no valves to replace....so either the seals have to fail, or the electromagnetic coils (somehow) stop working. A new strut/shock seems to retail for about $600-700...but can be gotten for about $350-400.
Thanks for the response!

Huh. That's not as bad as I feared!
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #38
Mt. Dew

Drives: CM88-B Bison
I'm curious what the average lifespan of MRC struts/shocks will be. I've read a few threads on corvetteforum and camaro5 with them needing replacement between 40k-60k miles. I could count the threads though on probably one hand so not sure if this is normal or not.
Mt. Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #39
uberjeff

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Dew View Post
I'm curious what the average lifespan of MRC struts/shocks will be. I've read a few threads on corvetteforum and camaro5 with them needing replacement between 40k-60k miles. I could count the threads though on probably one hand so not sure if this is normal or not.
I was just thinking about this today too. If anyone knows I'd be very interested. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and have been on the fence with MRC.
uberjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #40
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
MRC is huge in my book so I'm happy it's coming in the 1LE
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #41
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndOne707 View Post
What would be the point if you're going to replace with Coil-overs?? Save the $1695
Old 05-06-2016, 01:53 PM   #42
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
I've decided to skip the MRC when I buy later in the year. I drove an MRC and Non-MRC car back to back on the same roads minutes apart and I honestly couldn't feel any different in MRC except in its stiffest setting.

I was hoping for a softer ride in the Touring setting but it wasn't any softer than the normal Non-MRC car. In my opinion the only real difference was in the Track setting where I will admit that the car felt very stiff and well controlled.

In the end I don't feel that the MRC is worth the cost as its not measurably softer than the standard Non-MRC car and If the time comes where I want a stiffer suspension for track days, I will be able to build a suspension system that will out perform MRC for far less than its asking price.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote