Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
yankee

Drives: 2018 Camaro LT RS, 2015 Mazda 3
Unhappy Sport mode suspension vs. potholes

Hi! Since I live in Toronto, there's nothing but potholes everywhere, very hard to avoid all of them.

So the question is... can they do damage to the car? Hitting even a small pothole or sewer feels like emergency landing a plane so... how bad is it?

Thanks!
yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
CCS71
LFX to LT1

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty 2SS M6
Not sure you can completely place blame on the suspension.
Since you have the RS package, I assume you have the runflats on a 20 inch wheel?
The stiff sidewalls on runflat tires are very unforgiving on road imperfections.

As for damage, potholes can wreak havoc on any car. Can't attest to potholes having a higher likelihood of eating up a Camaro.
2017 Camaro Fifty 2SS; Sequence #270 - Sunroof/Nav/NPP/MRC/6speed

CCS71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
any large 20 inch or greater rim suffers much more from road damage due to the low profile tires that are almost always installed on them. If the tire can't absorb a significant amount of the blunt force trauma the wheel sees, the likelihood of your rim getting bent just skyrockets. This is especially a problem for larger wheels that are naturally more susceptible to being bent just due to the weaker structure by having a larger diameter and soft material (aluminum)

Looks sometimes runs contrary to practicality.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #4
yankee

Very helpful info guys, I didn't know that. So going with 19 would be better? I was thinking to change my tires anyway or have a summer/winter set so this sounds good.

But beyond the tires bending... can the potholes do damage to the car? I am not so technical so that's why I am not very specific, sorry.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
Yanniz

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
Very helpful info guys, I didn't know that. So going with 19 would be better? I was thinking to change my tires anyway or have a summer/winter set so this sounds good.

But beyond the tires bending... can the potholes do damage to the car? I am not so technical so that's why I am not very specific, sorry.
Ask the corvette guys😊. Bent rims etc. yes, potholes are not good for wheels, tires, bottoming our suspension parts, etc. Avoid as many as you can at any cost
Yanniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
I am in New England, so have similarly "good" roads. I tend to keep my tires inflated to a slightly higher number than the door sticker, in the hopes of preventing a dented wheel.

Started doing this years ago on motorcycles when BMW alloy motorcycle wheels were really soft and bent easily. A lot of guys started running tire pressures up toward what the max was that the tire was rated for.

Of course, the more pressure, the lower the grip, to some extent, so you don't want to go too far, but a little extra pressure will help prevent a dented wheel.

Also, when it is bumpy, you can use the touring setting and that will soften up the damping, which also helps.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #7
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Sales guy told me the MRC can get damaged with hard impacts, especially in track mode. From their sales indoctrination when the gen 6 came out. As if you never hit anything on the track.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #8
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
I’m gonna switch to non-run flats when I need tires. Ohio roads suck ass but I’m not staying here much longer. The RS is pretty rough but too me it’s not unbearable.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I have a 2016 RS with 20s and with the sport tune suspension and 20 run flats you feel every bump and yes pot holes suck but I am 58 and have only ever bent one rim on a pothole. It does happen just try and avoid them.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #10
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Try driving here in Michigan...especially in places like Detroit or Flint. Talk about bad roads lol. I have a 18 RS V6 with the 20" wheels, and so far so good, but I'm always very aware of the road.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #11
yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
I’m gonna switch to non-run flats when I need tires. Ohio roads suck ass but I’m not staying here much longer. The RS is pretty rough but too me it’s not unbearable.
Yes, I think I will do that too for the next set. I might even get 19 for better acceleration also. I am constantly trying to avoid them but some just "jump in front of you" (night, rain, car in front of you...)
Old 05-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
Yes, I think I will do that too for the next set. I might even get 19 for better acceleration also. I am constantly trying to avoid them but some just "jump in front of you" (night, rain, car in front of you...)
You are right on. I honestly swerve everywhere on the road to avoid as many as possible. In some areas I have to drive really slow. Austintown/Youngstown are the worst roads I have ever seen. My home town is terrible to.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote