Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-24-2018, 11:06 PM   #29
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Yeah well you dont know me by a few posts, and just because my opinion about phone tracking vs onstar tracking doesnt necessarily line up with your's, doesnt mean either one of us has or doesn't have common sense. I dont like the idea of being listened into by anyone in the privacy of my car or home, but we've all done this to ourselves by having this need for technology. People wanted this stuff without thinking about what they are truly giving up. Im sitting here staring at a 65" TV that is more than capable of being used to spy on me. Do I like it? Hell no, but we are being forced into this more and more every day. I understand your concerns as I have them too. I just dont see condemning one form of spying without condemning all of it. If I cared about it as much as you seem too, I wouldnt be connected at all which is just about impossible because other companies and other humans connect you whether you like it or not. I dont use Onstar service myself, but I can see reasons for it if the privacy issues you brought up doesnt bother a person. Im told a car can still listen and track your conversations without Onstar anyhow if it has hands free calling and bluetooth radio, apple carplay or Android audio. Who knows. It wouldnt surprise me a lick.
You seriously can’t discern the difference between your cell phone and a car with telecommunications?

I told you I removed the transceiver board. That’s removing OnStar completely, not just disabling it but physically removing the actual communication radio for it. So obviously OnStar can’t listen or track my car because it doesn’t have OnStar. Might as well be a 1938 Plymouth.

It’s not hard, the board is located under the dash behind the glovebox. Do a search on the forum and there’s a detailed thread on how to do it.

And your TV only spies on you if you use the company’s digital reciever. If you have the cable line run directly into your TV you’re clear.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:22 PM   #30
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
You seriously can’t discern the difference between your cell phone and a car with telecommunications?

I told you I removed the transceiver board. That’s removing OnStar completely, not just disabling it but physically removing the actual communication radio for it. So obviously OnStar can’t listen or track my car because it doesn’t have OnStar. Might as well be a 1938 Plymouth.

It’s not hard, the board is located under the dash behind the glovebox. Do a search on the forum and there’s a detailed thread on how to do it.

And your TV only spies on you if you use the company’s digital reciever. If you have the cable line run directly into your TV you’re clear.
We obviously cant have a conversation. You aren't getting me. That's fine. Its not worth my time. We have flooding and power issues going on here all over and we've been out dealing with customer's basements being flooded and power issues all day. Tomorrow isnt looking any better. Time for bed. You're completely right about everything. Im wrong. Feel good now? Night night.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:26 PM   #31
satanschariot666
Banned

Drives: camaro
omfg stop with the tin foil argument, the fkn guy said he doesn't want ur business, so why not just fuk off w ur business? why try to turn it around making it sounds like he is crazy for not wanting to have the fkn transmitter on?
satanschariot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:32 PM   #32
satanschariot666
Banned

Drives: camaro
I am seeing this madness across the board.
No I don't need wifi in my fridge, vacuum, dishwasher, tv, stove, washer, dryer, computer, phone, coffeemaker, blender, heater, air conditioner, etc.
satanschariot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:17 AM   #33
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
geez - don't if I should join this flame post. Onstar = no. Have a GPS. tracker for piece of mind. Had a lifetime Sirius/XM subscription on my 2010. Refuse to pay the monthly fees on my 2018. Sirius/XM get real since your audio is lame.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:56 AM   #34
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
Don’t need onstar. Other services overlap (from insurance to personal dash cams to calling grandma if I need a jump with no extra overpriced fees (and she pays for McDonald’s). Xm is fun too, to catch wind of new music that may not have hit radio yet, but I like being my on dj, sometimes setting iPhone itunes to repeat and enjoying my own soundtrack to life.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #35
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
XM is good as long as you like to listen to one of its channels Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc I listen to Elvis you could get it for $5.00 a month if you tell them you don’t want it no more. So it’s up to you if you think it’s worth the $5 a month. My trial expires in November I didn’t make my mine up if I’m keeping it or not.
As for Onstar some insurance companies give discounts if you get it, mine gives me $202.00 a year so I just renewed it to the safe and security plan for $149.00 minus the navigation plan with it it was $208.00 So I’m making $53.00 a year to have Onstar.
If I didn’t have it I’d have to pay my insurance company $202.00 a year. So it’s still costs me may as well get something for my money.
Plus if go to work in the middle of the night or drive in the middle of the night a lot it may be worth it, in case you crash at least somebody will fine you. Don’t forget if you crash your cellphone is gonna go flying through the air and if your hurt forget about using it.
NYJets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #36
CCS71
LFX to LT1

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
As for Onstar some insurance companies give discounts if you get it, mine gives me $202.00 a year so I just renewed it to the safe and security plan for $149.00 minus the navigation plan with it it was $208.00 So I’m making $53.00 a year to have Onstar.
+1
Also my reason for keeping it.
2017 Camaro Fifty 2SS; Sequence #270 - Sunroof/Nav/NPP/MRC/6speed

CCS71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #37
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
Xm / sirius for stern, octane and lithium channels. do like to listen to elvis and pearl jam channels every once in a while. cant take terrestrial radio....one song and 10 minutes of commercials can drive you crazy.

pass on onstar.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #38
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
there are plenty of free music services out there you can stream. I loved XM but when I had to pay extra for streaming through other devices I told em I want a full refund and to pack it. This day and age you should not have to pay for music.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #39
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
My OnStar cut out entirely @ 30days. Nada. I would have liked the app remote door unlock but wasn't going to pay for it. XM though I love that, was a very early adopter way back in 2003(?) but I'll renew this free trial for sure. Love streaming it off the app at home, too.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #40
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
there are plenty of free music services out there you can stream. I loved XM but when I had to pay extra for streaming through other devices I told em I want a full refund and to pack it. This day and age you should not have to pay for music.
i pay 20 bucks a month, and i have a player at the office and home. did not cost me a dime for the app and i stream the music directly to the head unit on my jeep.

at some point we all need to put our grown up pants on, and pay for peoples work (yes even musicians). you draw a paycheck at your work?
Old 07-26-2018, 07:00 PM   #41
VADER332

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE / 2014 Ford Raptor
I prefer my own music, whenever and what ever song I want to listen to. It's hard to beat your own stuff.
VADER332 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onstar, radio, siriusxm