Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #15
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
No i asked them politely. They did politely say they weren't at liberty to discuss it. We also both know full well i understand my warranty standing but I'll also note that said warranty fraud is a multiple step failure from owner to dealership decision so i won't put that on GM but locking things is just a dick move regardless they know full well people will be modding and tuning these cars. To decide suddenly to start locking shit after 50 yrs. as you said a deterrent is stupid. I must have missed the oemtech arguement always seemed like a good guy to me. Your right I'm not an expert on turbochargers never claimed to be i still think bragging about roll racing on a public street is stupid given the factors and the ToS on here strictly prohibits those posts.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #16
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
And after rewatching this video, a few things aren't adding up for me. I'm going to keep them to myself for right now, but would really like to hear other peoples opinions of what happened.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #17
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Do you know what is done to this car? Or are you just guessing? Your comment is very confusing.
Buy other vids he posted his descrption says. Injen intake, catless dp, and streight piped or muffler delete.
SoCalThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #18
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
No i asked them politely. They did politely say they weren't at liberty to discuss it. We also both know full well i understand my warranty standing but I'll also note that said warranty fraud is a multiple step failure from owner to dealership decision so i won't put that on GM but locking things is just a dick move regardless they know full well people will be modding and tuning these cars. To decide suddenly to start locking shit after 50 yrs. as you said a deterrent is stupid. I must have missed the oemtech arguement always seemed like a good guy to me. Your right I'm not an expert on turbochargers never claimed to be i still think bragging about roll racing on a piblic street is stupid given the factors and the ToS on here strictly prohibits those posts.
Except it's not a 'dick' move. It is a move borne out of necessity. The necessity being their fiduciary duty to their shareholders to promote and protect profits. They are in no way shape or form obliged to make a car that is 'tuneable' or 'modable', that is YOUR desire. This might be the first instance you've experienced about them locking a component down, but it isn't the first time they've tried. They were locked down with the first EEPROM's back in the 80's. Your current ECM is locked down as well. If you hooked up an ALDL cable directly to your computer, you wouldn't be able to change a single line of code in the ECM. HPT reverse engineered the required 'handshake' for lack of a better term to open the ECM. That 'handshake' is not public domain data. Dude, you're really out of your depth here. Just let it go, or it's going to become my singular mission in life to make sure that everyone starts calling you Princess Elsa.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
Old 11-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #19
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

But then I'd be adored by the kids. Let it go! Let it go!

On another note hows the SS have you done anything to it recently got to see a just over 700rwhp SS and thing sounded amazing.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 11-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #20
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalThug View Post
Buy other vids he posted his descrption says. Injen intake, catless dp, and streight piped or muffler delete.
Yeah, clearly there is a muffler delete or straight pipe because that thing is LOUD. Is there somewhere where he specifically states there is no tune? I'll start looking through the other videos, as I didn't know other videos existed.

As far as tuning and not tuning for mods goes... You'll always reap the biggest benefits by adding a comprehensive custom tune. You can bolt on an intake and dp and still make some power, but you won't get all the possible power without a tune. So, in purely theoretical numbers not based in reality, let's say the car makes 220 wheel horsepower bone stock, and then it makes 250 with an intake and dp, it would make 280 with a good tune. You're basically leaving about half the power you've already paid for on the table by not running a tune. You're not going to damage anything by running an intake and a dp without a tune. However, the ECU has a fixed torque figure called 'Driver Demand' which can not be exceeded without a tune. By adding those parts, and no tune, you're making the computer's job much more difficult because it has to balance the added power, correct the air to fuel ratio so you don't go lean and nuke your engine, and still keep the calculated torque below the hard coded "Driver Demand' limit. Hopefully that makes more sense to you on how the computer actually works in these cars. It's not a complete explanation by any means, but it should give someone a basic grasp as to what is actually happening rather than all the guessing I usually see around here.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #21
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Yeah, clearly there is a muffler delete or straight pipe because that thing is LOUD. Is there somewhere where he specifically states there is no tune? I'll start looking through the other videos, as I didn't know other videos existed.

As far as tuning and not tuning for mods goes... You'll always reap the biggest benefits by adding a comprehensive custom tune. You can bolt on an intake and dp and still make some power, but you won't get all the possible power without a tune. So, in purely theoretical numbers not based in reality, let's say the car makes 220 wheel horsepower bone stock, and then it makes 250 with an intake and dp, it would make 280 with a good tune. You're basically leaving about half the power you've already paid for on the table by not running a tune. You're not going to damage anything by running an intake and a dp without a tune. However, the ECU has a fixed torque figure called 'Driver Demand' which can not be exceeded without a tune. By adding those parts, and no tune, you're making the computer's job much more difficult because it has to balance the added power, correct the air to fuel ratio so you don't go lean and nuke your engine, and still keep the calculated torque below the hard coded "Driver Demand' limit. Hopefully that makes more sense to you on how the computer actually works in these cars. It's not a complete explanation by any means, but it should give someone a basic grasp as to what is actually happening rather than all the guessing I usually see around here.
Probably the best explanation I've read on it.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #22
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
But then I'd be adored by the kids. Let it go! Let it go!

On another note hows the SS have you done anything to it recently got to see a just over 700rwhp SS and thing sounded amazing.
Dude, you know I'm serious. Don't even try me or you're going to be singing that song every damned day.

As far as my SS Sedan goes, nope. The only thing I've done with it is take it to dealers to try to trade it in. I have a couple domestic dealers that will give me what I want for it, and one that will actually give me more than I want for it. However, the boss's heart is set on an import. And when the boss makes her mind up, I just follow. Happy wife = happy life, or some such silliness. IDK cause we aren't actually married yet, technically, actually we might be common law married by this point. I had posted about a certain car on a weekend long test drive earlier in the year. She really wants that. Those that were paying attention back around March will know what car it is.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #23
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Dude, you know I'm serious. Don't even try me or you're going to be singing that song every damned day.

As far as my SS Sedan goes, nope. The only thing I've done with it is take it to dealers to try to trade it in. I have a couple domestic dealers that will give me what I want for it, and one that will actually give me more than I want for it. However, the boss's heart is set on an import. And when the boss makes her mind up, I just follow. Happy wife = happy life, or some such silliness. IDK cause we aren't actually married yet, technically, actually we might be common law married by this point. I had posted about a certain car on a weekend long test drive earlier in the year. She really wants that. Those that were paying attention back around March will know what car it is.
Cool, ya i think me and the fiance are more or less married just not on paper. I dunno though i hear that damn song everyday my neighbors kids have that damn thing on repeat i miss the days when a VHS tape would give....

Old 11-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #24
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Why did the mustang speedo barely look like it was moving? Am I seeing things? Maybe jaded because I’m used to seeing faster cars speedos??
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #25
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
It's not a TCM problem, never has been. The ECM won't allow power to be made in excess of it's parameters, without tuning said parameters. That said, there is always room for A LITTLE improvement from bolt ons, but at the end of the day power is being left on the table without a tune after said bolt ons are equipped.

Anyway, cool video. Nice to see, but I'm more of a dig person (drag strip). No roll racing here.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #26
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Why did the mustang speedo barely look like it was moving? Am I seeing things? Maybe jaded because I’m used to seeing faster cars speedos??
That's what I was saying before. A couple of the runs don't sound like the Mustang was at WOT either. Something's rotten in the state of Denmark... Like his buddy was 'letting' him win.

Anyway, I watched some of his other videos, and now I feel like I have full blown AIDS. What a bunch of toolboxes. That jerkoff is going to kill someone real soon. Racing with 3 people in the car, racing in traffic. Hopefully he stops before he kills someone's family.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #27
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
Wat im saying is people have said there is 0 gains to anything without a tune. I believe godfather said the ecu reduces power to stock so no power will be made without a tune.
SoCalThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #28
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

The tune will net you max gains on your bolt-ons atleast a good tune will. In that respect cooper is right and i will agree with him that thread got way out of hand and better off left in the graveyard. What Jason@ and ChicagoTommy have said is the best explanation out there you will get gains but you are 100% infinately better off with tuning your car to actually fully utilize those gains. Just doing bolt-ons while safe is like having a horny wanting cheerleader naked in your bed after you win a football game and then not getting naked to.