#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #57
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trakdayz View Post
Thank you for feedback and input. I track atleast 3-4x a month and I would love to give the auto a try, just alittle weary of the possible overheating in the tranny department. My DCT in my E92 M3 overheat in the past then opted for a larger finned/baffled DCT pan and it worked.
Something about an American car with power, grip and hands on steering wheel banging though gears.
Should I trade by 2011 E92 M3? ..Fully tracked ...all but a full cage. For a new 2019 1LE in automatic? talking about a 890lb weight difference from my current car with the new 1LE.
My transmission has never overheated on track. It has never gotten over 215 degrees. If the transmission gets serviced and the tech overfills it by filling it cold, it can overheat, early 2017s had a few overfilled A10s (first year).
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:36 PM   #58
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Thank you for feedback and input. I track atleast 3-4x a month and I would love to give the auto a try, just alittle weary of the possible overheating in the tranny department. My DCT in my E92 M3 overheat in the past then opted for a larger finned/baffled DCT pan and it worked.
Something about an American car with power, grip and hands on steering wheel banging though gears.
Should I trade by 2011 E92 M3? ..Fully tracked ...all but a full cage. For a new 2019 1LE in automatic? talking about a 890lb weight difference from my current car with the new 1LE.
The 2019 1LE A10 comes with an updated transmission pan apparently for cooling. I'm already trying to find out about the part to see if it can be swapped into a standard ZL1..
Old 04-28-2019, 07:07 AM   #59
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Short answer - No. Keep the E92 M3. The weight is something you will immediately notice.

I am someone who owned the Z4M, E46 M3 and E90 M3, so take my advise for what it's worth.

If you do plan to switch to the 1LE, get the Manual and don't look back. Manual means less plumbing for cooling, less mass and yes - driving engagement for ever. The manual also has 3.73:1.

I test drove the ZL1 A10 before I got mine and it left me cold and wanting more. The A10 just made the car feel like a GTR.

I know I sound like a manual purist but keep in mind my E46 M3 was a SMG, my E90 M3 was a DCT and my C7 Z06 was an Auto. I tracked all of my cars. From my experience - There is absolutely no replacement for a Manual.

I used to scoff at Manual purists but guess what - they were right on the money.

For all the folks what say Automatics are good for lap times - it means nothing unless you are someone like Randy Pobst and racing every other weekend in a competitive class. Keep in mind, the big money classes have a sequential race gearbox - not a torque converter Auto.

For 99.9% of us, we engage in HPDE which has no prizes and is all about enjoying your car. I believe when you put down a great lap time / personal best on a track - in a "Manual" - all of the seasoned drivers at the track (incl. instructors) respect you because it was YOU that did it.

Anyone can pull a paddle and be a track day hero - it just means the car did all the work with the exception of braking and following the line. Easy but not rewarding.

Last edited by Checkmate1; 04-28-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Checkmate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #60
trakdayz

Drives: E92 M3 & E36 M3 (Full Race car)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Short answer - No. Keep the E92 M3. The weight is something you will immediately notice.

I am someone who owned the Z4M, E46 M3 and E90 M3, so take my advise for what it's worth.

If you do plan to switch to the 1LE, get the Manual and don't look back. Manual means less plumbing for cooling, less mass and yes - driving engagement for ever. The manual also has 3.73:1.

I test drove the ZL1 A10 before I got mine and it left me cold and wanting more. The A10 just made the car feel like a GTR.

I know I sound like a manual purist but keep in mind my E46 M3 was a SMG, my E90 M3 was a DCT and my C7 Z06 was an Auto. I tracked all of my cars. From my experience - There is absolutely no replacement for a Manual.

I used to scoff at Manual purists but guess what - they were right on the money.

For all the folks what say Automatics are good for lap times - it means nothing unless you are someone like Randy Pobst and racing every other weekend in a competitive class. Keep in mind, the big money classes have a sequential race gearbox - not a torque converter Auto.

For 99.9% of us, we engage in HPDE which has no prizes and is all about enjoying your car. I believe when you put down a great lap time / personal best on a track - in a "Manual" - all of the seasoned drivers at the track (incl. instructors) respect you because it was YOU that did it.

Anyone can pull a paddle and be a track day hero - it just means the car did all the work with the exception of braking and following the line. Easy but not rewarding.
Right on! well said I have to say.
One more question....The paddles on the steering wheel in the manual cars, im assuming they are the same units in the Auto's.....and does the throttle "blip" as you downshift like in the manuals with that dumb feature? sorry I'm a heel toe guy...please guys don't scold me lol
Tracking in an e36 m3 for 13 years will turn you into a so-called "Pro" driver ….that would be a joke..but no better feeling when coming into a corner and doing the work yourself.
trakdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #61
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Right on! well said I have to say.
One more question....The paddles on the steering wheel in the manual cars, im assuming they are the same units in the Auto's.....and does the throttle "blip" as you downshift like in the manuals with that dumb feature? sorry I'm a heel toe guy...please guys don't scold me lol
Tracking in an e36 m3 for 13 years will turn you into a so-called "Pro" driver ….that would be a joke..but no better feeling when coming into a corner and doing the work yourself.
The manual’s paddles are for turning on rev match. Click the left or right one time and it’s rev match on until you turn off car.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #62
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:

A test drive doesn’t show you anything. You need real miles for a real assessment.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #63
URBAN LEGEND

So today I got on the highway with the sole purpose of using the paddles in anger at 70 mph to 1Xx mph. The paddle shifts are immediate and EQUAL to DCTs. EQUAL. That’s a good thing. The shifts are now and fast. I was shifting when I saw the HUD Red dots line up and the shift response was immediate. I never touched the rev limiter.

This transmission is calibrated for high intensity work outs. In town is not it’s thing. But high speed runs are its specialty.

I give this tranny 5 out of 5 stars. Would do again. Money well spent. Great work GM!
Old 04-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #64
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Reading this with interest, and I've pretty much made up my mind, which is where I was to start with....

I'm not Randy Probst, or Lawson Aschenbach, so, I'll go with the manual transmission....

I'm certainly not capable of driving the car at 8/10 or 9/10, regardless of the gear mixing method... So, I'll go with what works for me. My car will mostly be a 60/40 daily driver with my truck, so I'll get engaged with rowing the gears like I've done in my SS that made a crap ton more power...

I could drive the SS at 10/10, but it was a straight line (mostly as her ass was usually trying to pass the front) for a mile...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:27 PM   #65
trakdayz

Drives: E92 M3 & E36 M3 (Full Race car)
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
So today I got on the highway with the sole purpose of using the paddles in anger at 70 mph to 1Xx mph. The paddle shifts are immediate and EQUAL to DCTs. EQUAL. That’s a good thing. The shifts are now and fast. I was shifting when I saw the HUD Red dots line up and the shift response was immediate. I never touched the rev limiter.

This transmission is calibrated for high intensity work outs. In town is not it’s thing. But high speed runs are its specialty.

I give this tranny 5 out of 5 stars. Would do again. Money well spent. Great work GM!
Nice!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Reading this with interest, and I've pretty much made up my mind, which is where I was to start with....

I'm not Randy Probst, or Lawson Aschenbach, so, I'll go with the manual transmission....

I'm certainly not capable of driving the car at 8/10 or 9/10, regardless of the gear mixing method... So, I'll go with what works for me. My car will mostly be a 60/40 daily driver with my truck, so I'll get engaged with rowing the gears like I've done in my SS that made a crap ton more power...

I could drive the SS at 10/10, but it was a straight line (mostly as her ass was usually trying to pass the front) for a mile...
If you are local to NY id be Happy to instruct you to go near your limit and build from there. Im an instructor with SCDA1.COM
Nothing wrong with rowing gears, being safe and accepting your limits
trakdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:20 PM   #66
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Nice!!!!

If you are local to NY id be Happy to instruct you to go near your limit and build from there. Im an instructor with SCDA1.COM
Nothing wrong with rowing gears, being safe and accepting your limits
If I was close to NY, I would take you up on that.... I'm in Central Texas.... I raced standing mile events and there isn't an auto made that would handle my car weight and power consistently for a mile.... So, I stayed manual and built the crap out of it....

As my signature states, "If you can turn, you aren't going fast enough."

Getting the ZLE, I'll have time to learn a whole new Fast genre.... though I'll never be 9/10 capable and I'm ok with that....

LOL, with the DATA logger and video, maybe there is a business opp for you to remotely teach.... Post a video, critique it.... Make a little money and start traveling to every road track in the country to learn the, in-person, nuances.... I get a finders fee if you are successful...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #67
Checkmate1

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post

With all due respect, I disagree. the A10 cannot compare to a DCT. I've owned a DCT car before (E90 M3) and I should know. For reference, my current daily is a DSG Gen 7 GTI and that shifts much faster than the A10.

My 'test drive' of the A10 ZL1 was one of my friends. I put 50 miles on it on a road trip that also included back roads. It was a proper drive where I got the chance to experience the car's dynamics. I maintain, it is an American GTR with the Auto and left me cold.

The A10 is 'nice' torque convertor that has close ratios from gears 1-5 but when giving it demands on the cusp, it still lags.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #68
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
Quote:
With all due respect, I disagree. the A10 cannot compare to a DCT. I've owned a DCT car before (E90 M3) and I should know. For reference, my current daily is a DSG Gen 7 GTI and that shifts much faster than the A10.

My 'test drive' of the A10 ZL1 was one of my friends. I put 50 miles on it on a road trip that also included back roads. It was a proper drive where I got the chance to experience the car's dynamics. I maintain, it is an American GTR with the Auto and left me cold.

The A10 is 'nice' torque convertor that has close ratios from gears 1-5 but when giving it demands on the cusp, it still lags.
The A10 in the 1LE is tuned and set up differently than the one in the regular ZL1. Also, the rear end ELSD differential is different as well. I just traded my 18 ZL1-1LE M6 for a 19 ZL1-1LE A10. I am still learning the car and the performance shift mode, but I can say this thing is a rocket. Very impressed.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:00 AM   #69
Checkmate1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Cole View Post
The A10 in the 1LE is tuned and set up differently than the one in the regular ZL1. Also, the rear end ELSD differential is different as well. I just traded my 18 ZL1-1LE M6 for a 19 ZL1-1LE A10. I am still learning the car and the performance shift mode, but I can say this thing is a rocket. Very impressed.
I bet. Again - different strokes for different folks. Enjoy!

I come from a school of thought that gave Autos a shot time and time again. At the end of the day, our toys need to be manhandled and tamed with the only analog tool there is at the moment which is the Manual transmission.

In a digital and automated world, the manual for me is the last bastion of something analog where I (the driver) matters. Call it romanticism or call it a fool's errand but there really is no substitute.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #70
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:

Nope. Negative. Not true. Re read all of my posts carefully.

Caution to anyone reading the above post that’s on the fence.

The A10 is full combat mode is EQUAL to DCTs in full combat mode. Period.
BTW I still have 2 DCTs at home...