Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-14-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
Molasar
Stormtrooper Edition

Drives: 2016 2SS
Tire Choices other than Stock F1s

I've spent hours googling/reading with very mixed results so I'm asking.

Noise/Rough ride DOES NOT bother me much.
Will never be driven in snow but will be driven in cold weather and rain.
Will NEVER see a track but I do occasionally race challengers/mustangs and do not want to lose from sitting there spinning because I chose a comfortable A/S tire.

I'd really like a tire thats going to be an improvement over the stock F1s that I need to replace.

What I've narrowed it down to.

A. NT555s
B. NT05s
C. Nitto Invo (yes I like Nittos as you can tell)
D. BFG Comp 2 A/S

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully reply. If you can't choose a "best" then choose one to eliminate.
Molasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #2
Molasar
Stormtrooper Edition

51 views and no posts? A bit underwhelming.

Please delete thread.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
There is another thread going around right now that may answer most of your conerns. Also there is quite a lot of info in these tires already. That may be why you didnt get any takers.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Maybe those 51 couldn't give you a good answer?
And it was only 7 hours.....when everyone is sleeping???

I have the BFG comp2 A/S. Love them. Really good traction when not warm unlike the stockers

Last edited by BradfordCamaro; 03-15-2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Spelting
BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
JohnCobalt

Drives: Camaro and Mazda CX3
Sorry I forgot my charger last night and my battery died.

Anyway, since you like Nitto 555s, have you checked out the next generation of that tire, the NT555 G2?
JohnCobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
Molasar
Stormtrooper Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCobalt View Post
Sorry I forgot my charger last night and my battery died.

Anyway, since you like Nitto 555s, have you checked out the next generation of that tire, the NT555 G2?
I did not even know that still made the NT555 and had fully switched over to the G2?

I believe I'm going to do NT555s up front and NT05s in the rear. I've heard good things about that setup.

Thanks to those that replied/info.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #7
Budman51

Drives: 2023 SGM 1SS
I had 3 sets of the NT05s on my 2000 Z28 SS, loved them, hooked good, but were a little scary on wet roads. They lasted about 18k - 19k miles a set. The last set I put on were NT555G2s. Much much better on wet roads, gave up a very tiny bit on dry. Sold that car 12/1/17 and only had about 2k miles on the G2s, so not a lot of experience with the G2s.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
HyperspaceTurd

Drives: 17 1SS 6MT, 09 Tacoma TRD Sport
Lol is this what a millennial tantrum looks like?

"WHUTZ GOOD FOAR COLD STREET RACING YO?"

*crickets*

"FINE DELETE THREAD THEN, GAWD"

Good luck dude.
HyperspaceTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #9
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasar View Post
I've spent hours googling/reading with very mixed results so I'm asking.

Noise/Rough ride DOES NOT bother me much.
Will never be driven in snow but will be driven in cold weather and rain.
Will NEVER see a track but I do occasionally race challengers/mustangs and do not want to lose from sitting there spinning because I chose a comfortable A/S tire.

I'd really like a tire thats going to be an improvement over the stock F1s that I need to replace.

What I've narrowed it down to.

A. NT555s
B. NT05s
C. Nitto Invo (yes I like Nittos as you can tell)
D. BFG Comp 2 A/S

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully reply. If you can't choose a "best" then choose one to eliminate.
well the only experience I have had has been with Nitto 555
I took a road trip from LA to AZ and all I can hear was the engine when I hit the gas, smooth ride and I cant recall the tire noise even being noticed by me.
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #10
JohnCobalt

Drives: Camaro and Mazda CX3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperspaceTurd View Post
Lol is this what a millennial tantrum looks like?

"WHUTZ GOOD FOAR COLD STREET RACING YO?"

*crickets*

"FINE DELETE THREAD THEN, GAWD"

Good luck dude.

Millennial Tantrum...I like the sound of that. Sounds like a good title for a book I wouldn’t read.
JohnCobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #11
awrj2000

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
I can’t post on the other tires, but I will mention my results with stock and BFG comp2 AS tires.

Stock was great from factory and a new car. The issue I had was rain.Any rain, or cold road, would have the car in “snow/ice” mode to drive.Without this mode the car would break traction at any point from start to 20 mph.Tour mode was touchy, Race and Track forget it!
Rain taken this high performance car to 15-20 under the speed limit… so enjoy being run off the road by a truck flying by you.
At 12,000 the back tires were shot. This included the first 1,500 easy driving and 3,000 was trips to other states and back.So out of about 7,000 miles maybe 2,000 spirited driving on street.
I didn’t plan to replace these with stock again due to my needs:
1- I would be driving in rain.
2- No track events
3- Price vs wear on stock
4- Not passing on turns in streets
5- No need to hold turns at 1 g in street

I wanted the highest wet traction available, so the BFG comp2 A/S is what was chosen. I knew the traction was a little less with the wear rating on them.So I looked into a wider setup front and back.Long story short front is stock, back is a little wider.
This offset kicks in traction control almost immediately. So the slightest chirp on the tires and traction control is helping out.Track mode is closer to sport mode as far as limiting goes.
The car will simply fly in the rain now. I have never had an issue with hydroplaning during the rain.I have taken the car to 100 just to try them out during a rain storm…Flawless.Tour mode is perfect.Sport is a little more touchy with breaking loose, but controllable.
Snow is manageable if your caught in it, but clearly these cars are not intended for winter roads. Get a big truck, lol.
On two occasions I have pushed a turn and the front end has slid on me. The first is taking a right turn from highway to side road that meets at 90*.I was doing 40 or so and expecting the back wheel to brake and allow a performance turn.When I cut the wheel, the front end started to chirp and slide to the opposite lane on the side road.Car did kick in nanny protection, but again if another vehicle was present, too late!So I know the limits on these tires-don’t be stupid.Second was in track mode making a left turn from a stop light.This was just goofing off one day.The road was recently paved and had oil all over it.Track mode broke the back tires loose and as entering the turn the front end slid once again.Multiple factors here, not just the tires.
I’m at 24,000 miles now and 70% on front and 50% on back.I did take it easy on these tires for a bit, but find I do enjoy playing.The tire change has really allowed a more predictable driving situation during rain.It’s one thing to push the car and allow the wheels to spin, slip.It’s another to be driving along and find yourself all over the road just going for groceries.
awrj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote