Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-21-2016, 12:56 AM   #1
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Why did you switch over to a 6th Gen Camaro?

Out of curiosity, what made you switch over to a Camaro?

Well no clients to train on a lazy Sunday so I figure I'll write a mini novel lol

A lil background.. I came from a Mustang family and had 1997 GT, a 2014 5.0 and a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost. My 2014 5.0 although I only had it briefly had a tune with exhaust and intake. It had a good top end and looked mean. Loved that car and wouldn't mind getting one again for fun.

Although I never really considered 5th gen Camaro's, I always like them as well but the 3900 lb+ weight and the interior was no bueno :/ The power of the 5th Gen SS was okay and it felt a tad slower than the 5.0 because of the weight.

Mustang Ecoboost was a great, fun car that got 27 mpg avg with good looks to boot. However, after one month with it I was already trying to get ride of it since I have no intentions to make a 4-banger fast and risk engine failure. Would love it for a daily driver though in stock form.

Then comes the new Camaro with 455/455 advertising low 12's from factory, ~200 lb weight reduction, stiffer chassis and an all new interior! Pictures don't really do justice so I thought okay they didn't change it that much from the outside. Then one day, a new black SS w/ black rims was driving in in the opposite lane and from far, I was trying to figure out what car that was. Mind you, I never seen one in person yet and with the daytime running lights and a new bumper design, this car looks AGGRESSIVE from the front and MUSCULAR from the rear! Blew my mind how nicer they look in motion and in person!

Two days later, went right to the dealership to see one and test drive one. So after being in 5.0's before I expected this car to be slightly faster since I don't really care too much about what is advertised.. Got in a red SS and will never ever forget the first 1-2 shift at 3000 rpm (What I normally shift at for normal driving)... INSTANT TORQUE and I was easily above the speed limit, throwing us both slightly in our seats. Looks at the my sales guy and said really??! I effin shifted at 3k and it has this much power?? Dude was cracking up lol!

Drove a black A8 after and the shifts were fast and felt great as well! Well, after ONE test drive I was sold. The front view is very aggressive, mean, sporty-ish and it's my favorite angle. From the rear with the C7-ish tail lights, it keeps the muscular look and that's my second favorite angle.

When I'm in my 98 Accord beater and the few times a new SS blows by me, I try pretty hard to keep up and hopefully give the driver a thumbs up. Too bad 100% of the SS's I see don't go the speed limit (Even the ladies) lol

I'm a car guy and when I'm not training and boxing, I'm always reading about cars in general. I appreciate what the big 3 has done and the competition against each other will only bring out the best of each other.

After 7 months this car still amazes me.. The exhaust (https://vid.me/qmHa) and lowering springs is a must have for me. I'm not into big cosmetic upgrades since I prefer a clean look. Perhaps an Anderson Composite spoiler in the near future and that's probably it

So, what inspired you to get a Camaro..

Last edited by Richard0nee; 11-23-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:18 AM   #2
dmj25

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS A8 Red Garnet NPP
I first had a 5th gen Camaro SS and loved it the day I bought it. All of my family has GM cars whether it be a sports car, truck or SUV. I've always loved the Camaro. My sisters first car was a 4th gen Camaro and maybe that's when I fell in love with the Camaro. What made me jump on board was when I first read the new 6th gen SS will have "ZL1 satisfaction". I knew right there that I was sold. Then after the performance numbers were released, I was simply amazed!!! Traded in my 14 for a 16 SS back in April and I'm more in love with it now than when I first bought it! Now that's saying something.
dmj25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:10 AM   #3
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
I came from a 2006 GTO. When they brought them back in 2004 I had to have one and made it happen. My plan was to keep it forever as it was a rare car. As I got older I realized I wasn't as loyal to cars as I thought. I wanted updated styling, performance, and toys. I sniffed around the 5th gen a couple years after they came out but I too was never sold on the interior. The C7 stingray came out in 2014 and I sort of zoomed in on that. Problem was that while I could have probably swung it financially I couldn't justify doing so. I was going to wait it out and get a used one but then they unveiled the 6th gen. I started researching it and realized that though it was no C7 in the looks department, it still had everything else and looked pretty good itself. I then shifted my focus there and here I am.

I still think the C7 is one of the best looking cars out there, particularly the Z06. Talk about a car that looks the part for what it is: a race car. Completely satisfied with the Camaro though.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:45 AM   #4
BamBam2SS

Drives: 2017 2SS/M6 W/MRC & NPP
I'm not a brand loyalist what so ever and neither is my family.

My first car was a 1988 Cadillac Seville (I kept it prestine) and the rest were a mix (2 Acura Integra's, Porsche 944, Ford Explorer, Acura TL Type-S, BMW 540I, Tacoma X-Runner and recently a Nissan 370Z).

My family loves their japanese cars but it wasn't until say the early 2000s when they took that plunge, Otherwise they were always american cars (2 Trans Am GTA's [1988 and 1992], 80 something Monte Carlo, 72 Monte Carlo, 78 Corvette, 80s Thunderbird, Dodge Grand Caravan, when I was a baby, Dodge Durango, Ford Ranger etc...).

So, Being a car enthusiast... I spend my free time watching reviews and reading up about the latest and greatest cars that are coming out. I knew of the 6th gen Camaro, I liked the 5th but never wanted one. The 6th was a lot better... I really didn't think I'd be taking a plunge on this expensive of a car so I was looking at Mustangs, Fusion Sport, Focus RS (Good friends of mine are huge Ford guys and were telling me about someone they know who can "hook it up" [Married gay couple]).

I was so sure I was going to end up with a Mustang, I knew a well equipped GT premium would be in my price range with my friends "hook up"... I joined the Mustang forums and did all my research on it. But when I ran out of things to learn, I wondered here and looked up what I can on the Camaro as wishful thinking.

I ended discovering I had a friend at a nearby Chevy dealership so we started playing with numbers on a white 2017 2SS A8, I was sold... But the car ended up not being sold. I went back to Ford and my friends "hook up" turned out to be quite the opposite... A complete rip off, And I'm not saying that to sound like he didn't cut me a good deal. He literally tried to add $5500 in mark up on a 2016 (this was a few weeks ago) they didn't even have on the lot and advertised at its original dealer for $1K below MSRP. Then they tried to sneak in a $3K warranty after we (my friends and I) got pissed about the mark up...

So, I went back to my friend at Chevy and didn't end up working out a good enough deal... I went to the Chevy dealer in the neighboring town to look at a pull me over red 2016 2SS A8 with the 20% off... Only to find out they traded it the day before. They showed me a blacked out 2017 2SS M6 with all the same options except the stripe and sun roof, I test drove it and was sold. Worked on some numbers, found out the sales manager lives down the street from me (literally like 5 houses) so he pulled up every discount he can find (i'm now a costco member) and took a little off the price to get it in my ideal price range and tossed in a xzilion (or whatever it is) coating.

In the end, The Camaro made my want list because of it's tech like the LCD screen in the cluster, android auto, NPP exhaust, MRC, heads up display, Mychevrolet app etc..., The styling I found is aggressive and looked better than the mustang, the reviews where they pit it against other muscle cars and sports cars like the M4 and most importantly... It was brought down to my price point.
BamBam2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:54 AM   #5
Ace01

Drives: 2018 1LE SS "Silver Bullet"
the last Camaro I owned was a 1984 Z28 and thought I would never own or lease a Camaro again. I had a 2013 Volt that was coming off lease and the dealer could not give me a lease on a 2017 Volt that I thought was fair it was almost double the amount of my 2013 Volt. When the announcement and release of the Gen 6 in MI coming out party I was hooked!! GM knocked it out of the park! Then endless negotiations took place with several dealers and I was able to lock in a lease on an RS V6 for the same amount of my 2013 Volt lease. That being said my target keeper will be a ZL1 gen 6th after I am done with my training on my RS V6 Camaro which is a ton of fun for the price point. Also, you might think this is crazy but one of the things that sold me on Gen 6 was the flat bottom steering wheel!! I had leased 4 VW GTI's through the years and they all had flat bottom steering wheels. When I saw this on Gen 6 I was blown away that someone at GM had the foresight to add this to Gen 6.
Ace01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
monkeychops

Drives: 2016 V6 6 speed
Bought my car because I'm a Camaro kinda guy.

my kids..... aren't kids....They moved out.... one just got married....
The others boyfriend works for me and is a good kid.....reminds me of me.

I said WTF....wasn't really in the market for a NEW car.....was waiting for a used SS.
but... found my deal on the internet...called....asked the salesman "whats the catch"
he said "there aint one. The boss wants this car SOLD".
and sold it was.....to me.
I figured a nice used SS was gona be more than 25K anyway....I drove a v6 auto previously and was happy with the power output.
so when a 2LT v6 6 speed with 20' black rims and blackout emblems is offered for under 25K......you say....WTF
monkeychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:45 AM   #7
Rob13567

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss NGM
Came from a BMW 335i coupe looking for another two door fun sportscar looked at the new mustang great car but still like my BMW better. I looked at the challenger 392 with 485 awesome exterior and interior and that hemi sounded awesome but didn't like the weight... then the new camaro was announced. I was so exited when the rumors were true, the cadillac ats chasis with corvette parts(LT1) and less weight than the 5th gen from then on I had to have it
Rob13567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:06 AM   #8
SCullen
Converts Oxygen to CO2

Drives: 2016 Black SS Convertable
I had a 2011 Gen 5 SIM 2LT Vert. I loved that car but because of top issues, I was always afraid of dropping it, so I rarely enjoyed it with the top down.

When the Gen 6 verts came out, I became jealous of the new top design. So I began to research. I wanted an SS this time. But a 2SS Vert was really expensive. I want what I want. I just kept doing builds on the web site. I wanted a 2SS with M6, MRC and NPP. I didn't care about any other options. And I wanted black or red.

Then the red tags came. I would save a boatload of cha-ching.

My favorite dealer had 2 red tagged. A black one and a red one, both with A8. I picked out the black one on the web, called my salesman to have him get it ready. When I drove in, it was raining heavily, but I didn't care. I drove it, but because of the rain, I really didn't push it at all. Because I had already made up my mind, I signed the paperwork and drove it home.

It wasn't for several days when the rain cleared up that I really pushed it a bit. WOW! I wasn't prepared for that much power and handling. What a fun car to drive! Much more fun that my 2LT, which was no dog. And the top runs as smooth as can be. So I run top down every chance I get now.

Over all, I like the Gen 5 body lines a bit better. I wish they hadn't removed the gills, but the Gen 6 is still a great looking car. And it's a much better car to drive. The interior is a big upgrade too. In fact it was a bit overwhelming at first.

I have noticed that a lot of Gen 5 owners don't like the Gen 6 cars. I think they should drive one and then judge. If a Gen 6 SS can beat a Gen 5 ZL1, they should really try one at least.

SCullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #9
SSSHYBOY

Drives: 2SS convertible, black,black
Simple; everybody's "car of the year" and one test drive.. Wife wanted it "now".
Old 11-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #10
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
Long story short... test drove a multitude of different cars/trucks. Didn't know what I wanted. A friend told me about the new Gen 6 so i started watching reviews on youtube. Test drove an SS and was sold. Factory ordered, its sitting in my driveway and I have never looked back.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #11
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Copied this from my introduction thread, some pics are over there... http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472603

Hi guys, just joined the forum after trading in my 2015 Challenger Hellcat M6 on a 2016 Callaway Camaro 1SS A8. I've always been a GM guy and traded in a 2004 Corvette Z06 for the Hellcat. At the time I thought I wanted out of the small sports car and in a bigger more luxurious car with big power, but after owning the Hellcat for 1 year 4 months and 7522 miles i got rid of it.

My buddy here LS6Larry and I switched cars while on a cruise a few weeks ago and I could instantly tell how much better the SS drove. Then I was actually looking for a C7 when the Callaway popped up on a side ad. Well the price with the Callaway package was under the MSRP of the stock car so we made the 5 hour drive to Philadelphia and I bought it Saturday. I never thought I would own a yellow car, but the deal was too good to pass up. Didn't really want to give up the manual yet either, but these damn autos are getting too good.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #12
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
Because it's awesome!!! I've been compromising on cars my whole life and always went with the responsible/practical choice... buying a house, have a kid, then another kid, then buy another bigger house... I'm now 37 and because of all the responsible/practical choices that I've made throughout my life, I'm able to afford this car as a fun weekend/extra car without hurting myself financially.

How can you say no to 455hp/tq for the price? I remember back in the 90s when the Viper came out and everyone was like... 400HP OMG!!!!! Now 400 is kind of a norm for these types of car that we can afford.

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #13
camarolover16

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 2015 Ram 2500
Test drove a 2SS in January 2016 when the first one hit our dealer's lot. Fell in love! Actually took an entire month to think about it before purchasing (NEVER happens), found out we could get GMS pricing and get into it for the same payment we had on our 2010 2SS RS - a no brainer! Retirement's just going to have to wait a couple more years!
Old 11-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #14
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
Made the fortunate mistake of taking my wife with me to trade in the daily driver G6 GXP that I put 230k miles on. The car I went to look at disappointed me in person, so the salesman started talking alternatives. I was talking fuel mileage, possibly a Cruze or a Malibu hybrid. Something good for a 100 mile per day round trip commute. Then, somewhere in the middle of it all, he made the mistake of uttering the word "Camaro".

A little back story: I bought a 2000 Camaro SS in 2007 (see my avatar). My wife LOVED that car. She literally cried when I sold it in 2012.

Fade back to the dealership. He asks if we'd be interested in a V6 Camaro. She laughs at him, apologizes for the outburst, then says "No" with about the most serious look I've seen her have. So then we start talking SS, and she starts getting really excited...and from that point until the numbers worked out and I was signing papers is still a blur in my mind. When they asked about color and options the only stipulations she had were "white and manual". I could see where she was going with it. She even asked (because she honestly didn't know) if there was a T-top option lol. She was looking to get as close to the old car as possible. They didn't have any on the lot, but went for a dealer swap. So we waited through the weekend and took delivery on a Tuesday.

So now I daily drive a 2016 Camaro 1SS in Summit White, and my wife and I couldn't be happier (save for a CEL coming up lately for a rough idle at cold start, but that's what the warranty is for )
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote