#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-15-2021, 02:09 PM   #1
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Really torn on rim/tire options.

Decided not to jump on the APEX GB a month or so ago because, honestly I thought they were “OK” looking, not really what I’m looking for in terms of styling.

After doing some passes last weekend I think I want to do a few runs this year while I have the time. I also still want to hit Road America.

I’m going to need new rears for sure pretty soon, especially if I do one or two more drag days. My dilemma is do I stick with the factory SC3’s for a daily tire & that one RA trip & get a set of rear 19” rims in ZLE size with a Nitto? Or do I get a full 18” set & go with something like the MT ET’s/ skinnies?

I don’t really drive it in the rain, but there is our yearly 1,500 mile road trip the wife & I take & we can run into inclement weather along the way... I also live over 2hrs (mostly highway) from the closest strip so I’m relegated to the best performing drag radial.

I also want to keep the OD as close to OE as possible so not to throw off the computers or do any reprogramming.

Don’t know what the best route to go is.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 05-15-2021 at 07:26 PM.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
I really agonized over the same thoughts. I am not interested in road racing, but I do want to drag my car. So, I finally went with the Weld 17" S71 bead lock for the rear and their 18" S71 non bead lock in the front. Nitto has a combination that puts the OD's of front and rear at 27.6" and 27.8" respectively. R2's on the rear and Invo's on the front. I don't think anyone can have a better set up for a DD and strip car.
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #3
Junkyardspecial

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Since it seems like your focus is mostly on Drag racing and DD ability, I would get two sets of tires for that, since the only tire that I know that can handle both well, is the SC3, otherwise you'll want three sets of tires if you wanted a dedicated set for all three scenarios.

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLe View Post
I really agonized over the same thoughts. I am not interested in road racing, but I do want to drag my car. So, I finally went with the Weld 17" S71 bead lock for the rear and their 18" S71 non bead lock in the front. Nitto has a combination that puts the OD's of front and rear at 27.6" and 27.8" respectively. R2's on the rear and Invo's on the front. I don't think anyone can have a better set up for a DD and strip car.
I’ve been looking at those since IndeedAZ posted pics of his, then there’s the ZLE rims with fatty Nittos that is tempting as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyardspecial View Post
Since it seems like your focus is mostly on Drag racing and DD ability, I would get two sets of tires for that, since the only tire that I know that can handle both well, is the SC3, otherwise you'll want three sets of tires if you wanted a dedicated set for all three scenarios.
It’s a matter of opportunity really at this point. I can choose a weekend to hit the strip & it’s a LOT closer than RA, whom’s schedule doesn’t even list an open track day through August, & a lot less expensive of an endeavor.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote