Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 04-27-2021, 10:29 AM   #1
raidaru

Drives: 2SS
Checking timing alignment on SS

Hi everyone, I wonder if it would be possible to check the timing alignment on a 2016 SS without removing the oil pump? The engine was partially rebuilt by previous owner and I have a feeling they might have done it wrong!
raidaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:44 AM   #2
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Timing is controlled electronically. Do you want to Degree the Cam? Just lining up the marks isn't going to tell you much.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:29 PM   #3
raidaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
Timing is controlled electronically. Do you want to Degree the Cam? Just lining up the marks isn't going to tell you much.

-Geoff
Well the problem is that I'm running out of options here, checked compression - good, installed new spark plugs - yes, put fresh 100 octane gas - yes, I get no faults on the ECM - not a single one , but engine still runs like crap,idles below 600rpm and runs very rich, to the point that the oil has a very strong gas smell and the old spark plugs were all black. It's hard to find anything when the scanner gives u jack!
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2021, 04:29 AM   #4
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Sorry I can't be of much help.

It is normal for the car to idle around 550-600 RPM.

I also think it is quite normal for the car to have a slightly rough idle. I found this thread describing it as well https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495366

I'm not saying that there is nothing wrong with your car. But some of the things you're diagnosing may be normal, and just how the car is made.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #5
raidaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodbytes View Post
Sorry I can't be of much help.

It is normal for the car to idle around 550-600 RPM.

I also think it is quite normal for the car to have a slightly rough idle. I found this thread describing it as well https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495366

I'm not saying that there is nothing wrong with your car. But some of the things you're diagnosing may be normal, and just how the car is made.
Trust me, I know how a good SS should run, and mine is anything but that.
I've reached the conclusion with my mechanic that we take the engine out, we're out of options here.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #6
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
PLugs too cold, maybe?
WhiteMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidaru View Post
Trust me, I know how a good SS should run, and mine is anything but that.
I've reached the conclusion with my mechanic that we take the engine out, we're out of options here.

That’s good. These things can be difficult to troubleshoot, especially when the ECU doesn’t even throw a code. I see two Camaros on you photo. Is one of them running fine? I can imagine that having one good running engine to compare it too will make things a little easier. I hope you will get to the bottom of this.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:33 PM   #8
raidaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
PLugs too cold, maybe?
Standard acdelco plugs/new DENSO plugs(standard specs) = same thing, no difference, runs equally bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodbytes View Post
That’s good. These things can be difficult to troubleshoot, especially when the ECU doesn’t even throw a code. I see two Camaros on you photo. Is one of them running fine? I can imagine that having one good running engine to compare it too will make things a little easier. I hope you will get to the bottom of this.
Yh, the coupe runs great, both have @10k miles , just that on the cabrio somebody be4 me stripped the engine and did a shit job putting it bk 2gether as it runs like crap. We shall see after we take it out and analyse it.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:58 AM   #9
SomeGeoffGuy

Is it a stock tune? Stock cam? I would check both of those before pulling the engine. If it a stock tune on an aftermarket cam, then that is an issue too. If it is an aftermarket tune with any cam, then that is probably the issue. A GM tech should be able to scan your ECM and see if it has a tune flashed in it - the authorization code the dealer sees for an aftermarket tune comes up all zero's - not sure if anyone can pull this info with a Tech 2 or not. The car logs something like 10 tune records in the ECM.

-Geoff
Old 04-30-2021, 12:23 PM   #10
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Start with basic stuff.

Right plugs
Right fuel pressure
right size air flow meter for the tune

If it was taken apart, check for vacuum leaks.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #11
raidaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
Is it a stock tune? Stock cam? I would check both of those before pulling the engine. If it a stock tune on an aftermarket cam, then that is an issue too. If it is an aftermarket tune with any cam, then that is probably the issue. A GM tech should be able to scan your ECM and see if it has a tune flashed in it - the authorization code the dealer sees for an aftermarket tune comes up all zero's - not sure if anyone can pull this info with a Tech 2 or not. The car logs something like 10 tune records in the ECM.

-Geoff
U've got a point there, I'll try these 1st. Mby he removed the engine to throw a cam in, it's hard to believe that engine failed at 9k miles or be4 that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Start with basic stuff.

Right plugs
Right fuel pressure
right size air flow meter for the tune

If it was taken apart, check for vacuum leaks.
Plugs are fine, tested 2 sets of them, fuel pressure is also fine, compared it to the SS next2 it, MAF I swapped from other SS, same. Vacuum leaks idk but fuel trim both short and long seem fine. All this in case it's stock tune...

By the way, here is what I managed to get out of previous owner,I can't really make any sense out of it but mby someone here understands what he meant:
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2021, 07:28 AM   #12
SomeGeoffGuy

Wow, that guy isn't going to be any help! If you go and have the dealer check for old tunes and they find one, make sure they reflash you with an updated calibration.

I have seen cars run like you are talking with bad idles and running rich. If it is not the tune, it is usually a vacuum leak or rarely an exhaust leak that is tricking an O2 sensor. Usually after running like that for a while, though, the vehicle throws some kind of code. It is very odd you are not seeing one, which is what makes me think it is tune related.

Good luck!

-Geoff