#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 09-09-2018, 12:06 AM   #169
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Well, I guess if you want the suspension to always revert back to comfort, then run it in track all the time? Otherwise, I like sport so I don’t have to deal with that.
So are you saying that if you turn off your car while in sport mode, it is still in sport mode when you start it up again?
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:13 AM   #170
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
So are you saying that if you turn off your car while in sport mode, it is still in sport mode when you start it up again?
Yes, every single time.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:20 AM   #171
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
And.. literally.. all seasons are basically the worst tires in existence...

"Let's do nothing well.. just everything sorta OK... and call them.. ALL SEASONS!"

All season tires are the most mediocre tires at any given task ever invented.. they should just cease to exist IMO.
To the contrary, All Seasons serve a great purpose and more so for those of us who dont live north of Kansas. I live in OKC, we dont get much snow throughout the season, but we can get snow and we can get ice. Our winter is maybe 3-4 months long, dedicated snow tires are not worth it here.

We have to deal with rain and lots of it at times. If the car is your only DD then All Seasons do serve a great purpose, unless you have the resources to run an additional set of wheels tires with storage as well.

My wifes car is AWD and has the Conti DWS06 A/S tires on it, works great and handles great. Some of the best A/S tires on the market. Does great in the dry, has exceptional traction and handling in the wet and does really well in the snow.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #172
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Quote:
Yes, every single time.
+1
My car is in sport mode all the time except for rough road neighborhoods where I'll flip it to tour, but otherwise the car lives in sport and stays there when I start the car.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #173
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
To the contrary, All Seasons serve a great purpose and more so for those of us who dont live north of Kansas. I live in OKC, we dont get much snow throughout the season, but we can get snow and we can get ice. Our winter is maybe 3-4 months long, dedicated snow tires are not worth it here.

We have to deal with rain and lots of it at times. If the car is your only DD then All Seasons do serve a great purpose, unless you have the resources to run an additional set of wheels tires with storage as well.

My wifes car is AWD and has the Conti DWS06 A/S tires on it, works great and handles great. Some of the best A/S tires on the market. Does great in the dry, has exceptional traction and handling in the wet and does really well in the snow.
Ok, but the counter-point is keep the original tires, put the AS on during the "winter" (as winter as it gets in OKC, don't drive a RWD sports car on the freezing-rain days), then you can stretch out the summer tires for quite a few seasons, enjoying the ride and higher performance, and same thing with the AS, rather than wearing them down in the hot summer when they aren't doing anything for you.

I go to OKC all the time, in all seasons, plus I used to live in OK. Sure, a cold front will sweep down from Canada and with nothing to stop it, temps can go subfreezing for a few days on end, then it will return back to sunny and relatively warm. During the bad ice-storms I've been in it was a bad idea to drive ANY kind of vehicle. Yes, it might even snow a couple times a year, briefly, and it'll be gone in a day or two. These are reasons why you can't leave the summer tires on there and drive in the winter, you will risk cracking the tires when the temp of the pavement and air is around 20 degrees F and the loss of traction on any slick surface (water, ice, snow) will be critical at lower temps. But it's not the consistent/enduring conditions that necessitate winter tires either. If you are of the mind that "I am going to drive every day all year no matter what!", then you need to rethink a few life decisions. In DFW a few years about 4-5" of freezing rain/pellets/ice fell and the entire city was shut down for a few days, because there was no equipment to remove it. If you were careful, you could get to the store, but at that point get a taxi or just walk/ride your bike and hunker down, if you don't have enough supplies for a few days again, rethink some of your life decisions. When I drove to the airport while some of the stuff was still on the road (I felt comfortable doing so) it was like one of those post-apocalyptic scenes, no cars on the roads, but pieces of cars everywhere, a bumper here, a wheel there, debris, etc. Of course, winter tires would be even better suited for driving on sub-freezing surfaces than AS. You could go that route, but all of these conditions in OK are very temporary and the weather rebounds rather quickly. Point I'm making is those AS are only really doing you good during a fairly small % of the time, which is my point above. It's not really cost-effective to leave AS on there all the time, wearing them down when they are doing nothing for you.

Because I'm in a northern latitude, I'm "used" to having two sets of wheels and switching wheels and tires for the seasons, but honestly, I should have done this a long long time ago, it just makes way more sense for any kind of performance vehicle. This way I'm not running down my performance tires fast and I can maximize the life of the AS or winter tires I use. Plus, it maximizes your safety, maximum grip for each season. People are somewhat afraid of the "cost of buying another set of tires", but now your tires are going to last 2x as long or more, which offsets this.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 09-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #174
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:

Your basic point is that they serve a great purpose because.. they are mediocre at multiple things.

They aren't as good as summer tires in warm temps, and they aren't as good as winter tires in cold temps.

I guess maybe in a very specific temp range they might be the best compromise? Maybe?

When I lived up north, we had snow tires for the cars driven in winter. And summer tires for the rest of the year. It wasn't hard to change wheels or just tires if desired. :shrug:

I do think AS tires are good for people who just view cars as an appliance and want 60-80K out of a set of tires and have no clue (or just don't care) how critical correct tire selection can be to the performance and safety of their vehicle (braking, emergency handling, etc).
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #175
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I do think AS tires are good for people who just view cars as an appliance and want 60-80K out of a set of tires and have no clue (or just don't care) how critical correct tire selection can be to the performance and safety of their vehicle (braking, emergency handling, etc).
Which is why +90% of cars sold are equipped with AS tires.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #176
TJay74

I wish I could get 60k-70k miles out of the wifes A/S tires. her little Audi SQ5 has around 450hp, is AWD and has Continental DWS06 tires on it and even with 5k mile rotations is lucky to get 30k miles out of them.

Not all A/S tires are crap, some of the high performance A/S tires do alot better than people give them credit for.

A/S tires excel in the rain, summer tires wont. A/S tire can handle cold temps and light snow/ice, summer cant. True a A/S loses to a summer only in pure dry grip and to a snow tire in pure snow conditions, but as we all said you really need to be in a climate where summer and snow tires work better for you.

Down in this part of the USA A/S work well for most drivers, or like me I run summer only and drive on them year round unless there is snow on the ground. If that is the case I drive my 4wd truck or the wifes AWD vehicle instead.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
Old 09-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #177
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
A/S tires excel in the rain, summer tires wont.
We have 305s. We are F-ed anyway in the rain and with pooling water.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 09-10-2018, 12:16 AM   #178
TJay74

Quote:
Very true, I have hit a couple of puddles on the highway that made me pucker as the car started to hydroplane.

That was on the stock GY F1 Supercar Gen 3 tires, the Michelin Pilot 4S tires are a night and day improvement over the GY F1 tires in the train.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:43 AM   #179
nolimits

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas24601 View Post
How long have you had yours? HATED the clutch engagement on mine for a few weeks. I either got used to it or far more likely) a little use broke it in and made it better. I now love it. Brand new I had to rev the motor more than I felt I should have while slipping the clutch to get forward movement. After a few weeks I feel like it broke in and now works like every other manual car Ive driven where if you just gradually release the clutch you will get forward movement, at least on flat ground.

I got my car last year Nov, It’s my weekend car I have roughly 4k miles on it.
I enjoy the car every time I drive it specially it’s not my daily, most of the time I’m in the canyons where this car needs to be driven, AMAZING driver car. I’m not a pro manual driver but a very good one and I still don’t like how the trans and clutch work from a stop to street limit speeds. It feels like something needs to be adjusted, once you start driving aggressively it’s great.

Reading people complain about the 1LE package ride Comfort or wheel/tire setup shouldn’t have bought this car, Chevy has much more everyday driving options available for the Camaro. People that buy this package need to appreciate the setup and push (track or open canyons) this car to its limits for what it was made for. I have no complaints driving the car hard cause it’s works perfectly. The things that bother me most are regular street driving or in traffic.
I Always drive my beast in race/track mode and it still feels like it needs to be stiffer.
nolimits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:10 AM   #180
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
I love most everything about the my 2SS 1LE. However, it should come with the GM Ground Effects side skirt and rock guards from the factory. I would have gladly paid extra to have them factory installed.

It also should have at least 50 more HP IMHO (as well as the C7 Grand Sport). And, that suitcase muffler setup is a heavy weight joke but easily modded.

However - the car is a monster and I love driving it. It makes me smile every time I start it up and head out of the garage.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #181
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
The PS4S's I put on the car are fine in our heavy rains down here. In a different league than the OEM's. Unless you drive like a fool in heavy rain, all is fine.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #182
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Yes, every single time.
I keep my mode selector in Sport mode for the better throttle response, and everything else manually set to Track mode, so the car always starts in Sport. This, in effect, keeps the car in Track mode.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote