Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-29-2024, 01:37 PM   #29
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
No, that's not what I said. Keep your own car safe, I'll do mine. How's that?
Some of us have brought ideas to the table for the greater community, you brought skepticism that any effort was even worthwhile. We'll do our best, you do your worst. How's that?
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:39 PM   #30
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancevanceZLE View Post
I've never heard of a car being stolen with a flatbed. It simply doesn't happen often.

The barrier to entry matters a lot. Why did people steal Kias with a USB stick but not before then with a flatbed?

The 1200% increase in theft is not driven by flatbed thieves lol. It's the software vulnerability. Fix that issue and theft will drop again.

Either way, it'll affect you too. At some point insurance will simply drop Camaro comprehensive coverage or make it unaffordable, just like certain Kias and Hyundais nationwide. Your individual behavior doesn't matter.

It's high time you folks realize we're all in this together.

The only way it'll be solved is if we stick together and all pressure Chevrolet to do something.
I'd have to agree, I doubt many thieves are going to the trouble of bringing a flatbed to steal a Camaro, not exactly a rare or high value vehicle. I've been driving for 40 years, the Camaro is my first car with push-button start. I frankly don't get the point of it. Good 'ole keys have worked fine for 100 years. At least with keyed ignitions, a thief has to have some skill and work more than 1 minute to steal a car. Now literally anyone with internet access can steal your push-button start car with almost no skill or effort. I don't consider this "progress". Chevy can and should release a fix for this.
MT-SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:43 PM   #31
alexTop

Drives: 2023 1LT Convertible
what the hell man. This making me think of training a pitbull and leaving him in the car.
alexTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:46 PM   #32
Capricio

Quote:
Not with that attitude! It's as simple as putting a 2 hour time delay on key reprogramming. A small software update could fix it. Range Rover has recently done such an update.
...somehow, I see a dealer service dept charging shop rate for the two idle hours.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:46 PM   #33
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
Some of us have brought ideas to the table for the greater community, you brought skepticism that any effort was even worthwhile. We'll do our best, you do your worst. How's that?
Sure, work on getting GM to develop a retroactive security update and then also trust them not to F it up or expose another vulnerability. It's a great pipe dream, and if it ends up happening, please do come back to the forum and tell me I'm wrong. I hope GM does it for us...

...but hope and complaining doesn't make our cars safe right now.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 02:00 PM   #34
Capricio

Quote:
Sure, work on getting GM to develop a retroactive security update and then also trust them not to F it up or expose another vulnerability. It's a great pipe dream, and if it ends up happening, please do come back to the forum and tell me I'm wrong. I hope GM does it for us...

...but hope and complaining doesn't make our cars safe right now.
The two hour delay delay software solution that Lance described sounds pretty easy to apply. It's worth a shot. Costs nothing but a few moments to ask.

For anyone interested, I started a DIY Alarm/DummyOBD/StarterLockout thread in the DIY section with demo video and parts list. It's a work in progress. It should be buildable for under $100. Hopefully I'll have a schematic up soon and some more videos.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:26 PM   #35
NjaTrtl

Drives: '22 2SS 1LE M6, '06 Murano S AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
Keep voting Democrat Cali peeps. Newsom isn't able to sell your freedom unless you keep him in charge.
I have got to get out of this state...
4th - '86 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z28 - White
5th - '91 Ford Mustang GT M5 convertible - White
6th - '00 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 M6 - Rally Red
7th - '12 MINI Cooper S M6 - Chili Red
Last - '22 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE M6 - Rapid Blue
NjaTrtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 02:37 PM   #36
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
I mean, if everyone just pulled the fuel pump relay every time they parked the car the only way one could ever steal it - well, 2 ways - are:

1. Flatbed/tow
2. Have the properly rated and set up relay with them

Since the whole automobile market has switched from mechanical fuel pumps to electric through the 1980s this seems like the best anti-theft device ever.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 03:01 PM   #37
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
The damned thing is for sale on Amazon for $415, WTF!
I guess this renders the Faraday pouch useless.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 03:24 PM   #38
TheEnthusiast

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1SS
Quote:
It's everywhere, and it will come to your state too. It's already been reported in Texas, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, etc.

Just like the Kia thefts, once the word gets out about how easy it is to steal them, thieves in other locations will copy the method.

It takes less than 5 minutes with a $1000 locksmith device you can buy on Amazon.

We should all be calling Chevrolet to file complaints so they can do a software update before the Camaro becomes uninsurable.

Instead of making this about politics or us vs them, we should come together so that GM can do the right thing and fix how easy they are to steal.

Everybody should call Chevrolet customer service and complain about how easy they are to steal. Cite this article as evidence. If they get a thousand calls they might finally do something.

Chevrolet customer service: +1-800-222-1020
I made my voice heard. Called and said it only takes 5 minutes to reprogram a key to steal Camaros right now and we need a software update. He didn't even know it was that easy. Said he'd pass the note along.

I'm doing my part, how 'bout you?
Old 02-29-2024, 03:40 PM   #39
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
Is there a handy link that explaines the $1K fob programmer & process? It's using the OBDII port, I assume?

Last edited by Anjilslaire; 02-29-2024 at 06:09 PM.
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 03:56 PM   #40
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjilslaire View Post
Is there a handy link that explaines the $1K fob programmer & process? It's using the ODBII port, I assume?
I don't think anyone is going to explicitly tell you how to steal a Camaro lol. They use the OBD port and a locksmith key reprogramming device from Amazon.

The way to protect yourself is getting an OBD lock, moving/hiding your OBD port, and/or killswitch with ignition or fuel pump cut off. A combination of various methods is probably best, and it's not very expensive.

You'll still get your driver's side window smashed in, but at least they won't be able to steal it. Driver side windows are on nationwide backorder btw. This tells you the issue is spreading.

Someone with an OBD locker has reported the thieves were not able to get past it, although they tried prying it with a screwdriver and plyers.

Ultimately, the real solution would have to come from Chevrolet. This is also affecting C7 Corvettes, which are being stolen at an increasing rate.

As a Camaro and C7 Corvette owner I'm not very happy...
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:24 PM   #41
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Quote:
It's funny, not funny, because urban Florida and parts of Texas are disgusting and crime-ridden too, albeit just slightly less. But it's California everyone talks about because...agenda.

No, GM isn't going to fire up the production line. No, GM Customer Service isn't going to make your car more secure.

Nice wheels.
Yeah but in FL and Texas you can defend yourself against said crime. It's encouraged in California.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:32 PM   #42
TheEnthusiast

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexTop View Post
what the hell man. This making me think of training a pitbull and leaving him in the car.
poop and pee everywhere