Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-09-2023, 09:54 PM   #85
the chosen one

Drives: 2017 Convertible 1SS A8
I finally traded in my convertible due to the rear window delamination issue last week. I was really sad to get rid of the car but my top was replaced two times (once under warranty) and needed another new top after less than 2 years.

However, for anyone who has their rear window/top fail slightly out of warranty. Take your car to the dealer to have them diagnose the issue, wait for them to deny coverage, and then get in touch with the regional GM service representative or GM corporate service advisor and explain the situation to them. I did this a little less than a year after my warranty expired, and I got GM to cover more than half the cost. The repair was $2500 and after negotiating I only had to pay $1K.
Old 01-10-2023, 05:35 AM   #86
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by the chosen one View Post
I finally traded in my convertible due to the rear window delamination issue last week. I was really sad to get rid of the car but my top was replaced two times (once under warranty) and needed another new top after less than 2 years.

However, for anyone who has their rear window/top fail slightly out of warranty. Take your car to the dealer to have them diagnose the issue, wait for them to deny coverage, and then get in touch with the regional GM service representative or GM corporate service advisor and explain the situation to them. I did this a little less than a year after my warranty expired, and I got GM to cover more than half the cost. The repair was $2500 and after negotiating I only had to pay $1K.
Thanks for sharing your experience. That some owners never experience the window separation, and others, like you, have it happen repeatedly suggests environmental factors. Was your Camaro exposed to a lot of sunlight?
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:26 AM   #87
the chosen one

Drives: 2017 Convertible 1SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weege View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. That some owners never experience the window separation, and others, like you, have it happen repeatedly suggests environmental factors. Was your Camaro exposed to a lot of sunlight?
I didn't garage my car and I drove it year round so my use case was probably more extreme than others. That said, we have pretty mild summers in Michigan; July/August are the only really sunny months.

From my experience the rear window seemed to delaminate during the winter months, which makes me think it's more related to cold weather. The most recent time it happened, was a month or so after I hand washed my top with convertible safe products. I think some detailing products (even though they are marketed for convertibles) dry out the fabric which causes it to shrink and puts alot of stress on the joint between the window and the frame/fabric causing it to fail. If I were to offer any advice it would be to just use water and a soft horse hair type brush to spot clean the top as needed.

Last edited by the chosen one; 01-10-2023 at 08:36 AM.
the chosen one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:29 AM   #88
Lfuehrersr

Drives: Camaro SS
I have a 2016 2SS Convertible with over 93,000 miles. The car is garaged daily and driven frequently in SW Florida (Tampa area). I avoid driving it with the windows down and the top up, due to the wind buffeting on the rear portion of the top that I've noticed when driving it this way. I've had no issues with the top operation or rear window delamination, with the exception of the rear window area trim cover on the driver's side which failed a couple of months ago. I have an Endurance extended (exclusionary) bumper-to-bumper warranty which specifically states that it covers the convertible top motor operation, but does not exclude the other convertible components-so I would assume they are covered as well. Based on my experience, I would definitely buy another 6th Gen Convertible.
Lfuehrersr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:02 PM   #89
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
The top operation is virtually identical to the C7. It's not a major topic over on the Corvette Forum and I had one of them, too. My Camaro is virtually brand new still but I'm not going to worry about it.
Old 12-26-2023, 03:27 PM   #90
nferr

Drives: CamaroRS, Cadillac CTS, MGB
I had mine replaced under warranty in 2021, about a year after I purchased the car new. The rear window was almost completey unhinged after one winter in Connecticut. So far the new one is fine. The car is off warranty now so I'm hoping it holds up.
Old 01-01-2024, 11:10 PM   #91
Karl Carson
SHRFT

Drives: 2017 2SS vert 50 anniversary
Bought my 2017 2SS 50 Anniversary convertible at end of Dec 2016 in Calgary (flat bed to my house). It is always garaged never winter driven. I have 145,000 KM on the car, haven't had a top problem so far, I drop the top Dailey. I lube the soft top workings yearly with a bicycle spray lube especially at the plastic rails that are causing so much trouble for many. I use 303 and ragtop plus a leather treatment spay once a year, still looks newish.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:33 AM   #92
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
I had a '17 50th SS for about 3 years, and never saw any issues, but it was garaged when home, and since I'm in New England, probably top down about 50% or less when driven.

Currently looking to get back into a Gen6... but I think with the EOL for our Camaro's... I'm going to go coupe this time.

Just seems safer bet.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:59 AM   #93
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
2020 garage kept

I think that having any car is not a good investment of money, especially a sports car. I find my justification for this purchase easier when I recognize that summer is so short here and the enjoyment of cruising with the top down priceless. I have no issues at the moment with my window. However,
I see third gen Camaro verts, 30 plus years old, and they have other issues, like torn and faded canvass. That is expensive to fix. Here is my point, in a few years or more, you will be replacing more than just the delaminated windows. Nothing lasts forever, and enjoy it while it lasts.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:15 PM   #94
Jimmy'18

Drives: 2011 Silverado
As the title suggests (Paranoia Poll) I'm nervous about the rear glass suddenly letting go and hitting a car behind me. And I suppose what's really disappointing is for me to tell a new passenger in the car to not lower their window at highway speeds. And then I get to explain why...

Stock for now
Jimmy'18 is offline   Reply With Quote