Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #29
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
When I had my 2nd Gen CTS-V, I had a 2004 Impala SS that I drove daily and in the winter. I sold them both and got a 2020 Camaro for the same reasons you listed. I didn't like working around two cars, I felt I was always moving one of them for the kids to play in the driveway. Extra insurance, extra maintenance, plates/reg, etc.

I am driving the Camaro 100% of the time now. This is one of the reasons I bought the LT1 over the SS.

Brandan
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #30
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I live in WI too and there is no way in the world I'd ever consider driving my Camaro in the Winter. If for no other reason than the salt. To me this is just the price you pay for wanting a car like this living in the snow belt. I rent a storage unit and in the good months my Tahoe is in storage and in the winter months my Camaro will be in storage.

I wish I had another garage stall at home, but I don't. If I was OK with leaving a vehicle outside all day I'd just leave the Camaro outside and Tahoe inside during the good months and the Camaro inside and Tahoe outside during winter, but I'm not OK with letting the sun beat on any vehicle all year round.

Oh by the way, my Tahoe is not a beater so that plays into my decision too. It was purchased new in '18
Wow, you are "all-in" with your commitment of not driving the camaro in the winter . I have the garage space, so I definitely don't know if I could go the beater route if it meant getting a storage unit
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:11 AM   #31
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWT View Post
Beater! When I lived in Michigan if I had a sports car, I had a beater. It just relieves all the stress. Even now that I live in the sun belt, I drive a Colorado most days and the Camaro on sunny days.
I definitely agree about the stress part. When the roads are crap (for the paint's sake) or I have to travel amongst the horrible winter drivers...it will allow me to sleep at night knowing the Camaro is tucked in the garage
Old 09-23-2020, 07:16 AM   #32
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Big city drivers often live under the delusion all roads get plowed as it snows like in the cities.

Up here in rural areas many roads don’t get plowed for days, even over a week, after a big snow storm. Sure the main highways get kinda cleared, but back roads where most people live are down right treacherous. They can have glare ice under several inches of snow. Just taking my kids to school in our AWD Highlander is a chore some times.

One miscalculation & your in the ditch, or worse. Last year like 4 people died in my area because they went off the road & either got trapped in their cars or died of hypothermia trying to get help after setting off on foot.
Yep, just about everything you had said nailed our (midwest/WI) situation down to a "T". Winter all around is hard on our vehicles. As you had said, the starting in temperatures that make most freezers seem warm, scraping of the ice/snow off of the vehicle, road rocks/salt, constantly getting in/out with dirty feet, etc. Even in town here, we can have many days where there are a couple of inches of snow on the road or giant patches of ice...IN TOWN!
Old 09-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #33
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Wow, you are "all-in" with your commitment of not driving the camaro in the winter . I have the garage space, so I definitely don't know if I could go the beater route if it meant getting a storage unit
I am... To me it's a toy and it's a toy I want to keep in nice shape. WI Winters rust the $hit out of everything you drive. I have the money to do what I'm doing and don't worry about the storage unit cost, insurance on two vehicles, etc... Toys are expensive, just the nature of the beast. IF I truly had a beater, then I would not rent a storage unit, I'd just keep the beater outside and the Camaro in the garage. But as I said, my Tahoe is bran new. It's not a beater and it's not going to sit outside all day ever day. The sun is just as bad on the finish of a car as the salt is. Hey to each his own right. That is why you have many different options on this thread. I have a Harley too, so I actually store two vehicles during the winter. That also means the good WI months I'm not always driving the Camaro, I spent a ton of time on my bike. So between winter and riding the Harley, my Camaro sees way fewer miles then many other guys. So the guys that decide to drive their Camaro all winter because they can't see paying insurance on two vehicles would never understand my choices.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #34
zaimer

"I know salt/sand is bad, but modern cars do a lot better than they did 20 years ago with this stuff."
[/QUOTE]

...but can they? I would dare to say that it is the other way around. The newer cars are almost built worse than the old ones. You can find vehicles from many generations back, but it seems more rare to find decent 90's-90's vehicles. Chevy & Dodge in particular are notorious for rusting out...especially their trucks. Around the 5 year mark, you can find some seriously rusted trucks. For around region, I do believe the winter and lack of maintenance has much to do with it.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #35
jamala00

Quote:
...but can they? I would dare to say that it is the other way around. The newer cars are almost built worse than the old ones. You can find vehicles from many generations back, but it seems more rare to find decent 90's-90's vehicles. Chevy & Dodge in particular are notorious for rusting out...especially their trucks. Around the 5 year mark, you can find some seriously rusted trucks. For around region, I do believe the winter and lack of maintenance has much to do with it.
that is because the owner doesn't care about the vehicle. If you care about a new vehicle and live in a state with winter and salt you need to be diligent about getting it washed and keeping it clean. If you do that it won't rust away in 5 years.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #36
zaimer

Quote:
I am... To me it's a toy...
Good for you! There's no doubt that our winters are a bear. I certainly understand wanting to keep a toy in nice shape. Having the Camaro sit in pristine in the garage keeps me smiling. I have a bike as well, which was another factor in driving the Camaro in the winter or not. Now I will have two toys sitting in the garage this winter . The same goes for me when the weather is decent. The Camaro stays home and I'm on two wheels much of the time.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:32 AM   #37
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
camaros are bad enough in the rain. i would uber somewhere before i drove my car in the snow. 4wd beaters serve so many purposes.
Uber, HA!

Maybe two people around here would be an Uber driver & that would be Pedo-John with a 80’s Econoline with a tear stained mattress in the back & Sally McDrunkerson that just got let out on her 8th DUI, & she drives a 90 Olds with a broken front fascia, cracked wind shield & bald tires.

Closest thing around here is the party-bus & it only goes to bars on the weekends. Hell that was driven by an Ex-convict that did 8yrs for attempted murder. Good guy actually.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #38
jamala00

Quote:
Good for you! There's no doubt that our winters are a bear. I certainly understand wanting to keep a toy in nice shape. Having the Camaro sit in pristine in the garage keeps me smiling. I have a bike as well, which was another factor in driving the Camaro in the winter or not. Now I will have two toys sitting in the garage this winter . The same goes for me when the weather is decent. The Camaro stays home and I'm on two wheels much of the time.

It's hard to have such touch decisions to make when going out to the garage and deciding what to drive right...
Old 09-23-2020, 07:37 AM   #39
zaimer

Needless to say, I ended up buying a beater last night! I thought I had better pull the trigger before I change my mind again LOL. I rode my bike over to look at it last night. Its a little over an hour away from home and the weather was great, so why not! I paid for it and collected the key/title. I left it parked there so I still have to collect it later this week.

'05 Dodge Neon with 87K miles. I think its in good shape for what it is. New tires & battery. There are two rust spots on a fender I have to fix and the headlights need some refinishing, but that will give me something to tinker with. A guy was selling it for his mother, who was placed into a nursing home. She bought the car back in January of 2006 with 12K miles and has owned it ever since.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #40
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Uber, HA!

Maybe two people around here would be an Uber driver & that would be Pedo-John with a 80’s Econoline with a tear stained mattress in the back & Sally McDrunkerson that just got let out on her 8th DUI, & she drives a 90 Olds with a broken front fascia, cracked wind shield & bald tires.

Closest thing around here is the party-bus & it only goes to bars on the weekends. Hell that was driven by an Ex-convict that did 8yrs for attempted murder. Good guy actually.
I was thinking the same. Many up here probably don't know what Uber is, let alone have it available in our area. . That is why we have to take some opinions with a grain of salt. Not picking on that poster, but it can be interesting to see the differences of backgrounds.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #41
jamala00

Quote:
Needless to say, I ended up buying a beater last night! I thought I had better pull the trigger before I change my mind again LOL. I rode my bike over to look at it last night. Its a little over an hour away from home and the weather was great, so why not! I paid for it and collected the key/title. I left it parked there so I still have to collect it later this week.

'05 Dodge Neon with 87K miles. I think its in good shape for what it is. New tires & battery. There are two rust spots on a fender I have to fix and the headlights need some refinishing, but that will give me something to tinker with. A guy was selling it for his mother, who was placed into a nursing home. She bought the car back in January of 2006 with 12K miles and has owned it ever since.
Nice...! I think you made a great choice
Old 09-23-2020, 07:40 AM   #42
zaimer

Quote:
It's hard to have such touch decisions to make when going out to the garage and deciding what to drive right...

Right! I sometimes think about it more than I probably should in the morning heading to work. I hate getting into the garage and having the wrong key for what I had decided on