Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-28-2020, 10:37 AM   #15
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
With any forward progress of the car IMO there will be minimum temp difference on any setup that has any sort of shield and yes the cut box can have a shield fab easily. So there is no 50 degree change.

Below is about the hot air induction on the procharger.
Even the procharger which ducts air over the header does not have a high heat change during normal driving. Sure it goes to the intercooler but just saying it ain't 50 degrees. If I have time (for grins) I'll put a remote thermometer on it. OK put it this way if I drive my Camaro to Yoga 8 miles residential traffic I run out and pop the hood put my hand on the procharger filter which is just above the header and the temp is just warm. Try that with stock air box and it is going to be close to the temp of the front fender hood etc. It is NOT anywhere close to the temp of the intake manifold or valve cover which is about 180 degrees. What's warm say about 10 degrees over ambient or about 2% all things equal that would be 10 HP on a 500 HP engine.

Sure one day I'll fab a shield between the engine and the air intake of the procharger. I will note the new procharger design uses the stock air box.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 03-28-2020 at 11:20 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #16
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
With any forward progress of the car IMO there will be minimum temp difference on any setup that has any sort of shield and yes the cut box can have a shield fab easily. So there is no 50 degree change.

Below is about the hot air induction on the procharger.
Even the procharger which ducts air over the header does not have a high heat change during normal driving. Sure it goes to the intercooler but just saying it ain't 50 degrees. If I have time (for grins) I'll put a remote thermometer on it. OK put it this way if I drive my Camaro to Yoga 8 miles residential traffic I run out and pop the hood put my hand on the procharger filter which is just above the header and the temp is just warm. Try that with stock air box and it is going to be close to the temp of the front fender hood etc. It is NOT anywhere close to the temp of the intake manifold or valve cover which is about 180 degrees. What's warm say about 10 degrees over ambient or about 2% all things equal that would be 10 HP on a 500 HP engine.

Sure one day I'll fab a shield between the engine and the air intake of the procharger. I will note the new procharger design uses the stock air box.
Ok; 2 thoughts.

1) When you said you dont believe 50* variance, I am simply reporting what I saw on the data stream. That would certainly represent the high end but a strong 30 on the low end. In the summer I would see IAT's of 145 to 160 with the "CAI" but with the stock airbox it would be 95 to 110 if we were looking at say an ambient of 85-90. Again, that is just what the data said from the PCM via IAT sensor. If I still had the logs I would attempt to post it but this was(again) from my 5.0. Are you speaking of a different measurement that what the IAT see's? I assume what your saying is that with a decent "CAI", I shouldn't be seeing the temps my IAT was reporting.

2) Good point on the temp of the manifold/valve cover. But isn't it true that at the very least on an NA combo, the cooler the ambient air coming into the engine, the more power you make, even if it goes through an otherwise rather warm intake manifold? So in theory its still better to achieve as low of an intake temp as possible?
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:36 AM   #17
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
what cai are you using, both Mishimoto and GM had an OK seal. If you are seeing 50 degrees over ambient, I'd take it up with the mfg of said CAI.

factory does an OK job of ducting air, removal of weather shield and adding a ram air pickup both good ideas,

Back to the cut box I did the same cut as Parrish and put a pieces of 2" weather strip so the box is "sealed to the frame rail that holds the front clip, air is ducted by the wheel well, with any forward movement of the car, outside ambient air is picked up just like factory. I have no input on how hot air would get stoned stop at idle with the hood closed because under that scenario, max HP is my least concern. I know others will pretend it is a big deal.

Bout 1/2 down the page you will see where blue frame / fender rail that the slot in the factory box can be sealed to and this is at the very front corner of the engine compartment. https://www.mishimoto.com/engineerin...-dyno-results/
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #18
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Yeah, just so there isn't any confusion, this was on my 18 5.0 Mustang. (I did state that in my first response to this thread just so that you know I'm not trying to be misleading But I think the same principles apply. The Mustang probably has a slightly better front air feed to the airbox but I say that without having removed the one on my Camaro.

I will most likely pick up a Roto-Fab. I have done several stock drive logs with the airbox and I look forward to seeing what changes come with the RF. It sounds like my experience was potentially due to a less than optimum seal with the manufacturer of the CAI. (Even though this company was rated either at the top or second to the top)

Maybe between that and another factor that I am as of yet unaware of, impacted the performance of the unit. Thanks for the link btw...will read through that.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote