Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
zerovisual

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Remote Start

Is there a way to tell if the car has remote start short of the remote and RPO codes? I just bought a 2016 2SS M6 and it has all the bells and whistles, but surprised it does not have remote start. I assume this was an optional feature in a manual, but maybe not because of safety. When I bought the car I just got one remote and it does not have the remote start button on it. So I was curious if maybe the previous owner just bought a cheap fob replacement. I would totally doubt it, but just curious. Would hate to have a feature and not realize it. I also did realize I do not have the time record ability. Was that only a 1LE option?
zerovisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Remote start is not an option on the manual transmission cars.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #3
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
GM didn't want to risk the liability issues for remote start on the M6, unfortunately... Which sucks ass. With all the sensors and nannies and shit, it would have been easy to do.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post
GM didn't want to risk the liability issues for remote start on the M6, unfortunately... Which sucks ass. With all the sensors and nannies and shit, it would have been easy to do.

I don't think this is a "GM Issue" per say.

Are there any manufacturers out there that offer remote start on a manual transmission vehicle?

With all the federal safety regulations auto manufacturers have to meet, the engineers are really backed into a corner sometimes.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
That is a Federal DOT regulation and along with a liability issue for the manufactures. No manual car needs remote start on it. If you want remote start buy an automatic. I would never leave my manual car in neutral and rely on the parking brake to hold it in place. If the parking brake fails or doesnt have enough holding power the next thing you know your car is rolling down the street just so that you can remote start the vehicle.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #6
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
There are failsafes engineered into some aftermarket remote start systems that does make me wonder why manufacturers wouldn’t use it. They eliminate the liability. The remote start will only work if the car was parked with the parking brake engaged, getting out of the car, locking the doors with the remote, then shutting the engine off with the remote. If the doors are ever opened or unlocked before the remote start is pressed, or the car is not parked in that sequence, the remote start will not work.

This ensures the car remains in neutral and the parking brake engaged when the remote start is pressed.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:09 AM   #7
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Remote Start

It’s not a GM thing, it’s more of a liability for all automakers thing. Off the top of my head, Hyundai’s Genesis Coupe MT had a factory remote start option.

There are a bevy of electronic and mechanical instruments (tilt switches, lockouts, etc.) that can be used as a failsafe to verify that a MT equipped car is in neutral and has the parking brake set before starting. Given the low volume of MT vehicles, there just isn’t enough interest to invest in these sorts of things.

If you really want a remote start you can get one. Compustar makes fantastic remote start systems for MT equipped vehicles. I prefer theirs over their main competitor, DEI, which manufacturers Viper, Python and others. The Compustar reservation mode is very intuitive and their modules and remotes are modular meaning that at some point down the line, you can make additions to it (say adding a longer range remote or adding an alarm). The downside is that I gave up on wanting to carry an additional remote a long time ago so if it can’t be baked into the existing remote functionality then I don’t want it. These days there are some systems that allow the usage of your factory remote to start the vehicle but I do not know if those also handle MT equipped vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by ecko04; 10-23-2018 at 08:20 AM.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
zerovisual

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
It’s not a GM thing, it’s more of a liability for all automakers thing. Off the top of my head, Hyundai’s Genesis Coupe MT had a factory remote start option.

There are a bevy of electronic and mechanical instruments (tilt switches, lockouts, etc.) that can be used as a failsafe to verify that a MT equipped car is in neutral and has the parking brake set before starting. Given the low volume of MT vehicles, there just isn’t enough interest to invest in these sorts of things.

If you really want a remote start you can get one. Compustar makes fantastic remote start systems for MT equipped vehicles. I prefer theirs over their main competitor, DEI, which manufacturers Viper, Python and others. The Compustar reservation mode is very intuitive and their modules and remotes are modular meaning that at some point down the line, you can make additions to it (say adding a longer range remote or adding an alarm). The downside is that I gave up on wanting to carry an additional remote a long time ago so if it can’t be baked into the existing remote functionality then I don’t want it. These days there are some systems that allow the usage of your factory remote to start the vehicle but I do not know if those also handle MT equipped vehicles.

Aww man I never thought about the fact I would have to carry two remotes. :( . Damn that is not going to happen. I already have enough shit on my key chain. I like it simple and clean. I had a 1995 Z28 M6 back in college. A buddy of mine installed the viper car alarm and remote start. He installed a kill switch for it also for when I took it to the dealer (cause it had a warranty) . She would of course jump if you left her in first, but I never do. I always just use the parking brake. That is probably not a good idea after reading other people's posts. But hey I had a muscle car with remote start in 95 when it was not common. It would always startle people in the parking lot when she would just crank over with nobody in. Loved it
zerovisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerovisual View Post
Aww man I never thought about the fact I would have to carry two remotes. :( . Damn that is not going to happen. I already have enough shit on my key chain. I like it simple and clean. I had a 1995 Z28 M6 back in college. A buddy of mine installed the viper car alarm and remote start. He installed a kill switch for it also for when I took it to the dealer (cause it had a warranty) . She would of course jump if you left her in first, but I never do. I always just use the parking brake. That is probably not a good idea after reading other people's posts. But hey I had a muscle car with remote start in 95 when it was not common. It would always startle people in the parking lot when she would just crank over with nobody in. Loved it

What your friend connected was a clutch bypass. This is the #1 reason why remote starts on manual cars get such a bad wrap. He wired in a relay that would mimic the clutch circuit closing therefore effectively bypassing safety measures.

If installed properly, it will never start in gear. To open a door would kill the reservation mode so it wouldn’t remote start. There are newer advents to prevent it from starting such as tilt switches on the shifter itself so if it’s not in neutral it won’t start.

Even back on the day we were always advised to never install on convertibles simply because people leave the top down, especially if they’re parking in their home’s garage, and access to the shifter is otherwise uninterrupted.

But these days I prefer to have less and so the days of aftermarket remote starts and fobs, unless we’re talking about wireless fobs for exhaust cutouts, I’m pretty much done with.

ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
drperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
That is a Federal DOT regulation and along with a liability issue for the manufactures. No manual car needs remote start on it. If you want remote start buy an automatic. I would never leave my manual car in neutral and rely on the parking brake to hold it in place. If the parking brake fails or doesnt have enough holding power the next thing you know your car is rolling down the street just so that you can remote start the vehicle.
No automatic needs remote start, either, lol. Nobody NEEDS it.

They could easily make a 100% safe remote start setup for the manuals, however, there isn't enough demand for them to deal with the liability issues and/or fighting the federal/DOT rulings, lol.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #11
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
I would never leave my manual car in neutral and rely on the parking brake to hold it in place. If the parking brake fails or doesnt have enough holding power the next thing you know your car is rolling down the street just so that you can remote start the vehicle.
If your pads are good and the cable is operational, your parking brake is strong enough to bring your car to a stop from highway speed. In a longer distance than the full power brakes but it will stop your car. You can actually lock your rear brakes up if you pull the brake at speed.

That's how the stunt drivers on shows like the Dukes of Hazard could get the car to do an almost 90 degree turn at speed. They removed the locking gear out of the parking brake pedal so they could turn the wheel full lock at 40 mph, hit the parking brake with their left foot and keep their right foot over the gas, then let off the parking brake pedal and hammer the gas right back coming out of the turn. That locked the rear wheels up to make the car do an almost perfect 90 degree turn at 40 mph without stopping the car's momentum.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #12
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
If your pads are good and the cable is operational, your parking brake is strong enough to bring your car to a stop from highway speed. In a longer distance than the full power brakes but it will stop your car. You can actually lock your rear brakes up if you pull the brake at speed.

That's how the stunt drivers on shows like the Dukes of Hazard could get the car to do an almost 90 degree turn at speed. They removed the locking gear out of the parking brake pedal so they could turn the wheel full lock at 40 mph, hit the parking brake with their left foot and keep their right foot over the gas, then let off the parking brake pedal and hammer the gas right back coming out of the turn. That locked the rear wheels up to make the car do an almost perfect 90 degree turn at 40 mph without stopping the car's momentum.

You are comparing old school emergency brakes to modern parking brakes. The parking brake shoes are not nearly as big as the old style ones where since they used the regular brake shoes. Plus the Camaro's newer style electronic one doesnt work like that either.

And the modern electric parking brake do go out of adjustment just like the old cable driven ones do.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #13
drperry

I don't think the Camaro park brake lets you engage it at speed, either.... People doing stunts is why we have a park brake, instead of emergency brake, now, lol

Old 10-23-2018, 07:38 PM   #14
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
FMVSS 114 makes it difficult and impractical. Read FMVSS 102 and 114 and see how many times the word "park" is used.

Essentially it's very easy to know if a vehicle is in neutral. Gear indicators are fairly common. You could also ensure with an EPB that the vehicle is also in a state that it can't roll away in neutral. What you would effectively need is a mechanical lockout of the gear shift lever such that while remotely started the vehicle CANNOT be put in a forward or reverse gear.

It's possible, but not practical to have remote start with a manual transmission.

You have to be able to LOCK the vehicle in PARK. And even though I believe some cars with E-shift transmissions use the park brake as a PARK condition, you still cannot put a vehicle into gear unless you have started the propulsion system unless you have the key in the ignition and on or you have a keyless fob inside the vehicle and have pushed the start button. Only then can you select a gear and even then to pull or move the vehicle from PARK you also need to have your foot on the brake (Brake Transmission Shift Interlock - BTSI).

So you essentially have to create a PARK condition for the manual transmission.

It's also not quite clear whether you would also need to have BTSI with the shift lever locked out. I believe this would be the case for a manual as well.

And keep in mind, just because you can buy it in the aftermarket doesn't mean an OEM can do it. You can make your car as unsafe as you are willing to do. An OEM can't.