Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-22-2018, 03:40 PM   #57
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kise View Post
I had gotten my 2ss with every option for 34,600 out the door and am looking at a 19 1LE for 35,400 (39K without employee discount).
I don't know where you're getting those numbers, a '19 1LE 1SS is still over $40k with the employee discount.
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #58
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kise View Post
aside from buying a v6 muscle car

who would spend 40k, on a v6 muscle car??? LOL

of course the value is going to be miserable.....

I had gotten my 2ss with every option for 34,600 out the door and am looking at a 19 1LE for 35,400 (39K without employee discount).

if you expect any kind of performance car that isn't the highest model to have a decent resale then you are far off.

the zl1 is about the only thing that will hold value somewhat.
KBB lists the trade in value of a fully loaded 2016 Camaro 2SS coupe with 36K miles at only about 25K. Sorry, but there is simply no avoiding the huge depreciation curve on these cars that were purchased new! No matter if it’s a V6 an I4 or a V8 at trade in time, you WILL get taken to the cleaners.... As far as a 1LE they are treated as an SS by the book as there is currently no designation for it as a model, so expect even higher losses down the road.....
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:31 PM   #59
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
34,600 for my LT1 coupe with RS & Tech Pkg, financed 21,500. So I'm ahead of depreciation, but just wanted a lower monthly payment.

In the past I sold a cherry 2008 Mustang V6 Pony Pkg with interior upgrade, with 35,000 miles in 2015 & only got 11,000 on my trade. But hey car was paid off 2.5 yrs earlier.

Just enjoy the Camaros! The 2019 refresh makes me love mine more.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #60
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
KBB lists the trade in value of a fully loaded 2016 Camaro 2SS coupe with 36K miles at only about 25K. Sorry, but there is simply no avoiding the huge depreciation curve on these cars that were purchased new! No matter if it’s a V6 an I4 or a V8 at trade in time, you WILL get taken to the cleaners.... As far as a 1LE they are treated as an SS by the book as there is currently no designation for it as a model, so expect even higher losses down the road.....
You can't compare dealer retail to dealer trade-in. It's actively comparing the highest purchase price and the lowest sale price. If you chose to go private party or through a broker, you're bound to pull in a bit more. A more accurate comparison would be purchase price compared to dealer retail now.

In any event, buying a new car is always a bad idea if you want to recoup money. You buy new for the sake of getting a car that is exactly the way you want it and the knowledge of everything ever done to it.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #61
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
Nothing wrong with a V6 muscle car man at least not if it's the LGX. Zero to 60 and 5.1 seconds for 10 grand less than an SS.

I don't know what to say man except the 80s called they want you back
More like the early 2000's and the end of the 4th gen!

Once you set aside the historic number of cylinders prejudices and look at the numbers, it's hard to ignore just how good a performer the LGX is in the Camaro compared to what previously passed for factory high-performance V8 muscle, and the turbo is just behind the V6 (mid-90's?) - and that's just talking about straight-line performance, never mind the handling benefits of the excellent chassis engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
I don't know where you're getting those numbers, a '19 1LE 1SS is still over $40k with the employee discount.
Regional discount, maybe? I know I got one in addition to the supplier discount when I ordered my 2SS.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #62
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
No matter if it’s a V6 an I4 or a V8 at trade in time, you WILL get taken to the cleaners.... As far as a 1LE they are treated as an SS by the book as there is currently no designation for it as a model, so expect even higher losses down the road.....
Yes, cars depreciate, but if you look at what the 4s and 6s are going for they do depreciate much more than the SS, and I think you'll be proven completely wrong about the SS 1LE because of it's reputation. And it's the same thing, reputation, that makes the 4s and 6s worth less despite the reputation being a little misguided. IMO, the RS is a nice car with plenty of power, the SS is kinda overkill.

As I said, it's one of the factors I looked at and made me decide the SS 1LE was the best value despite being more expensive upfront. I'm pretty sure in a few years you'll find I was right.

I'm sorry you decided on a car with massive depreciation built-in but if you keep it it really doesn't matter.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #63
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Kbb will sometimes randomly give me the option for 1le package, but other times it not even an option.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #64
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:

Not sure what your looking at or if you're doing your math right but I'm not seeing that much of a drop in value when I look at what I paid for mine and what NADA and KBB shows as Retail or trade in. Mine works at to be about 12% for the first year.

I traded in a 2011 SS on my 2017 SS and got $24,000 trade in. I only padded $36,000.00 new on the 2011 and it was 6 years old at the time of the trade. It saved me about $3,000.00 in taxes.. that's a value of $27,000.00

If your looking at retail then trade value? that not correct..

1. You have to look at what you paid vs private sale value

2. Or what you paid vs trade value plus the tax credit of the trade added back to the value of the car.

JMHO
Old 10-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #65
Hyper RS

Drives: '19 Corvette Stingray Convertible
I bought my '16 1SS Convertible used with 5500 miles (6 speed manual and mag ride) for $29,700 in January of this year. I just traded it 7 weeks ago and got $29,500 (ACV) for it plus a $6500 discount on a new 2019 Corvette Stingray Convertible. On the Camaro I did add a Katkin leather interior for $1400 and a Borla ATAK axleback exhaust for $800. Still, I think I did pretty good.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #66
Chazzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Yes, cars depreciate, but if you look at what the 4s and 6s are going for they do depreciate much more than the SS, and I think you'll be proven completely wrong about the SS 1LE because of it's reputation. And it's the same thing, reputation, that makes the 4s and 6s worth less despite the reputation being a little misguided. IMO, the RS is a nice car with plenty of power, the SS is kinda overkill.

As I said, it's one of the factors I looked at and made me decide the SS 1LE was the best value despite being more expensive upfront. I'm pretty sure in a few years you'll find I was right.

I'm sorry you decided on a car with massive depreciation built-in but if you keep it it really doesn't matter.
All Camaro’s have massive depreciation, one of the worst percentages of any new car, on average 39% after just one year. I’m actually sitting pretty good with my 2018 1LT V6 Vert as I have just $25,400 in it out the door, this on a car with a near 39K MSRP. I had a large GM card point redemption and a 2K conquest rebate applied to my deal in addition to all other rebates and factory to dealer incentives. One of the main reasons that the V8’s hold their value a bit better than the RS models is Chevy will typically offer higher incentives on the base models, which takes an even harder toll on used car values. Knowing going in how much these cars depreciate I made darn sure I got in very well up front, otherwise I would have NEVER pulled the trigger! Trust me I have learned the hard way to Always, Deal Hard.......
Old 10-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #67
timheally

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2LT RS Auto
Newcomer here.....

I have a 2014 Convertible. 2LT automatic with RS Package .
It listed new for $38,700. I bought it new after the 15s came out in September 2014.
It has 24,500 miles on it and it is worth $18,378 trade according to KBB
Considering i paid $29,333. I’m happy. I don’t think mine depreciated as fast as some on here say.

I’m thinking about getting a 2019 sometime next summer.
This forum has great info.
timheally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #68
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
All Camaro’s have massive depreciation, one of the worst percentages of any new car, on average 39% after just one year. I’m actually sitting pretty good with my 2018 1LT V6 Vert as I have just $25,400 in it out the door, this on a car with a near 39K MSRP. I had a large GM card point redemption and a 2K conquest rebate applied to my deal in addition to all other rebates and factory to dealer incentives. One of the main reasons that the V8’s hold their value a bit better than the RS models is Chevy will typically offer higher incentives on the base models, which takes an even harder toll on used car values. Knowing going in how much these cars depreciate I made darn sure I got in very well up front, otherwise I would have NEVER pulled the trigger! Trust me I have learned the hard way to Always, Deal Hard.......

The depreciation is about average compared to the other makes and models, most of your info seems to be based on KBB and trade in vs MSRP which is not the way to calculate depreciation.

At the end of the day I bought mine for a weekend toy.. Its paid for and I get my money worth in smiles.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #69
Chazzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Depreciation is bad for just about everyone....30-40% in the first year is not uncommon.

You only "lose" when you sell....lol....Just get the lowest price you can at first to help "soften the blow"....Good luck. Don't let it spoil your enjoyment of a new car.

https://buzzdrives.com/20-cars-that-...in-value-3/14/
This post shows some of the worst depreciating cars including the Camaro, which is one of it not the worst on the entire list as it Plummets at a 39% depreciation rate on average in just its first year of ownership....

Last edited by Chazzz; 10-23-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #70
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
This post shows some of the worst depreciating cars including the Camaro, one of it not the worst on the list at a 39% depreciation on average in just its first year of ownership....
Strange. Year two and three depreciation must be zero then. I just sold a 16 with 20k miles on it and took a 40% hit off the original msrp (that I didn’t pay). Even the KBB cash offer wasn’t too far off.

The thing I’ve noticed over the year with these types of cars is that they take sharp hit early and them hold value. After year eight they don’t go down at all if you maintain them

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 10-23-2018 at 08:13 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote