Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum


Phastek Performance


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2017, 07:51 AM   #1
dray
 
dray's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 2SS A8 NGM, 2012 Yamaha FZ8
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 141
Dealing with the A8 Issue

So, I've been dealing with the shuddering issue like lots of others and read a lot of posts on here about it. Haven't been to the dealer yet because I've been busy and I'm not crazy about driving a Malibu for a week while they fiddle with it.

What I have noticed is I can work around the problem somewhat by how I use the throttle. When I'm in traffic, I try to coast as much as possible (no throttle input whatsoever). When I start to slow down, I sorta goose the throttle...getting it up over 3K to speed up and maintain my position in traffic. Every chance I get, I accelerate hard and then ease up rather than easing into it...letting the traction control do it's job.

With this approach, I still get the shudder occasionally, but not as often. Plus, I get to hear the engine more which is music to my ears.
__________________
King Kong and Son of Kong...

dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
Natro33
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro LT2 v6 A8
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray View Post
So, I've been dealing with the shuddering issue like lots of others and read a lot of posts on here about it. Haven't been to the dealer yet because I've been busy and I'm not crazy about driving a Malibu for a week while they fiddle with it.

What I have noticed is I can work around the problem somewhat by how I use the throttle. When I'm in traffic, I try to coast as much as possible (no throttle input whatsoever). When I start to slow down, I sorta goose the throttle...getting it up over 3K to speed up and maintain my position in traffic. Every chance I get, I accelerate hard and then ease up rather than easing into it...letting the traction control do it's job.

With this approach, I still get the shudder occasionally, but not as often. Plus, I get to hear the engine more which is music to my ears.
I hear what you're saying, but, should you even have to deal with such an issue? My shudder feels like the driveshaft has a 12oz weight welded to the side. These are flagship 40k+ cars, not acceptable to me. Especially because this just comes down to sloppy programming by GM
Natro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
V8RWD
 
V8RWD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 2SS Fifty Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natro33 View Post
I hear what you're saying, but, should you even have to deal with such an issue? My shudder feels like the driveshaft has a 12oz weight welded to the side. These are flagship 40k+ cars, not acceptable to me. Especially because this just comes down to sloppy programming by GM
Agreed. My 2005 Toyota Corolla is smooth as butta with 200,000km on it. 2017 Camaro should do better. Not even asking for that much here...
V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
AmericanMike
 
AmericanMike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 326
I took mine in for this issue. They had it for a day. There is a TSB for this so shouldn't be any fiddling. I put almost 1000 miles on it now with no issue.
AmericanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #5
Spartan268
 
Spartan268's Avatar
 
Drives: HB 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 357
Sent mine in on Saturday morning. Heard Saturday evening they need it for longer cause the recall didn't resolve it (Which I told them it wouldn't). And still have yet to hear anything back yet. I'd send it in for peace of mind.. Despite dealers being incompetent
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
Chazzz
 
Chazzz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 356
No offense but I don't buy it. If it is such an easy fix and from what you are saying just about every pickup with an A8 has this issue along with from my research most vehicles with the A8 across GM product lines, I honestly haven't seen any proof that they have a permanent resolution for any of these A8 issues. Let's hope they get the bugs worked out of the new A10 joint project with Ford, as I was reading posts on the F150 forum and there are some very disappointed new F150 owners that are dealing with similar frustrations with this all new transmission. Gotta feel for them after dropping over 60K on a new truck and not being able to even drive it.
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #7
Cameron27
 
Drives: 2017 V6 1LT RS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
No offense but I don't buy it. If it is such an easy fix and from what you are saying just about every pickup with an A8 has this issue along with from my research most vehicles with the A8 across GM product lines, I honestly haven't seen any proof that they have a permanent resolution for any of these A8 issues. Let's hope they get the bugs worked out of the new A10 joint project with Ford, as I was reading posts on the F150 forum and there are some very disappointed new F150 owners that are dealing with similar frustrations with this all new transmission. Gotta feel for them after dropping over 60K on a new truck and not being able to even drive it.
If they offer an A8-to-A10 replacement program, I’ll stick with Chevy in the future. But I doubt that would be cost effective.

I wouldn’t even mind shelling out $1000 for an A10 if it really is a ton better. (I’m talking about reducing Chevy’s warranty costs). Just would see it as an upgrade, of throttle response, shifts, etc, were truly better (not just how they should’ve been with the A8, but actually better even if the A8 worked as intended). But wouldn’t be willing to shell out the actual cost of a full transmission change.

Just hope I can actually get proper service on my transmission. Been dealing with hell with the dealers. And transmission has oddly gotten better on upshifts, far from great but now can’t notice issues on most upshifts. No particular reason why. Downshifts are still quirky when breaking, other small quirks persist. If it never ever gets worse that’d be fine. Problem is — when does something like this ever stay fine for more than a year or two?
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #8
Frank237
 
Frank237's Avatar
 
Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Craig, MT
Posts: 598
The ONLY time I get a shudder is coasting down my drive, and the car shits to 2nd. I get a 1/2 sec shudder, with no accelerator input. the only time I have any issue.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #9
mako22
 
mako22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 658
I brought mine in last week, brought the service bulletin with me so I didn't have to waste time explaining. Had the car back in 4 hours...still hearing the shudder slightly, plan on waiting a few weeks and taking it back if it comes back louder. Pain in the ass but there could be worse issues.
__________________
mako22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #10
DangerZL1


 
Drives: Future ZL1 Owner
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Area Memphis
Posts: 2,354
If the TSB is simply a trans fluid change to the new fluid, it hasn’t fixed all the ltransmissions. The problem is the cylinder deactivation which causes vibrations be to appear in the car. The trans programming slips the converter to reduce the vibrations in the car. It’s not a design that I’d feel comfortable owning for a long time. I think they’ve been through three versions of the converter. It appears GM is bandaiding the problem until they can get all the RWD vehicles switched over to the A10. The real problems occur when the drivetrain warranty runs out
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #11
RxSummit16
 
Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 70
Took mine in...emailed them the tsb..took test drive with with trans tech...after a week they gave it back and said it was "characteristic" behavior.
__________________
2016 Camaro 2LT | 3.6L V6 | A/T | Summit White | JWM Smoked Side Markers | Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-back Exhaust | K&N Filter | AIRAID Modular Intake Tube | Overkill Tune
RxSummit16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #12
Chazzz
 
Chazzz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
If the TSB is simply a trans fluid change to the new fluid, it hasn’t fixed all the ltransmissions. The problem is the cylinder deactivation which causes vibrations be to appear in the car. The trans programming slips the converter to reduce the vibrations in the car. It’s not a design that I’d feel comfortable owning for a long time. I think they’ve been through three versions of the converter. It appears GM is bandaiding the problem until they can get all the RWD vehicles switched over to the A10. The real problems occur when the drivetrain warranty runs out
While I agree that cylinder deactivation does play a role in some A8 issues, it certainly doesn't tell the whole story as from my research there are possibly more I4 Camaro owners dealing with frustrating A8 problems than V6 or V8 owners. A flush just simply isn't going to be a long term fix!
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #13
argus
 
argus's Avatar
 
Drives: 15 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 6.2
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray View Post
What I have noticed is I can work around the problem somewhat by how I use the throttle. When I'm in traffic, I try to coast as much as possible (no throttle input whatsoever). When I start to slow down, I sorta goose the throttle...getting it up over 3K to speed up and maintain my position in traffic. Every chance I get, I accelerate hard and then ease up rather than easing into it...letting the traction control do it's job.

With this approach, I still get the shudder occasionally, but not as often. Plus, I get to hear the engine more which is music to my ears.
Recommend you don't try to work around the problem. It won't heal itself, at least not for long.

Started having issues with the same 8L90 in my truck around the 10k mi mark. Took it in to the dealership around 12k mi, just beyond the Lemon Law threshold for TX, unfortunately. Anyway, I ended up driving three different loaners over many weeks as the dealership worked on my trans back in 2016. They ended up replacing the original trans per GM, which ran even worse initially. Took it back and they reassembled the new trans. It then ran okay. Now, here I am today, 18k mi later, at 30 k mi, and it is starting to act up again. Gonna dump it at this point. Love this truck, but when major drivetrain components act up time after time, it becomes a lost cause. Life is too short.

I know one thing for sure, given the experience described in short above, If the wife's Camaro acts up at any time before 12k mi (it's at roughly 6k mi now), I'm going to the dealer ASAP. If I have to Lemon Law it, I'm ready for the pain. Can't be any worse than what I've gone through with my truck.
__________________
2017 2SS Convertible Auto Summit White/Jet Black (Wife’s) photos garage
2015 GMC Sierra SLT White Diamond Tricoat/Jet Black (Mine) photos garage
argus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:57 PM   #14
Natro33
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro LT2 v6 A8
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 33
I would urge any camaro owner with an A8 that is experiencing these issues to read this thread (http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510888) and post on it. The more posts and visibility we have the better chance we have of getting the issues to gm engineering. Post 24 is where I have posted the majority of conversations as it is relates to this shudder issue. Don't accept "that it's a normal characteristic" of the vehicle, it's not. I love my camaro but it's days out of service have accumulated to more than my states lemon law allows (for more than just A8 issues). I urge you to understand your states lemon law statues and do not accept being pushed around. I'm currently in the middle of a lemon law case with hopes that gm will finally admit to the issue and commit to fixing it. It would be overly nice of me to give them more time to resolve the issue, I'm hoping they can, but I'm not optimistic.
Natro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.