Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-07-2017, 07:07 AM   #1
splatrd

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Stranded at gas station

Last night I drove 20 miles from work and stopped for gas. When I went to leave, it(2016 Camaro 2SS, 11 K miles) would not start, battery was only showing 11 V. Tried two jump boxes to no avail. Finally a friend came by and was able to jump me. First issue is the jump terminal under the hood is a joke and not sufficient for jumping. Second, battery access is horrible.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior? I have noticed that in the past it has been weak when restarting while hot. I remember in the old GM cars that they could experience heat soak on the starter solenoid from headers being too close. You would have to add heat shield or a remote mount solenoid. I keep my vehicles on battery tenders as I don't drive them everyday. And I did purchase a battery tender specifically for the AGM style battery. Will have to take to dealer, but am afraid they will just give me the run around.

Thanks
splatrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
The only similar issue I've had with mine is that the battery puked after being on a tender all winter. But, you're right about the jump terminal under the hood. For whatever reason they provide a substantial negative post but the positive post is about the size of a pencil and hardly adequate to clamp a jumper cable to.
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
Allez

Just out of curiosity when you used the jump boxes did you connect the negative to the post or to a different ground on the car? I've noticed that you have to connect the ones I have to the negative post; other parts of the car don't work.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
splatrd

Yes, I tried the under hood jump points first. Then directly to the battery posts. Which is a pain to get the positive terminal. I had to pull back trim panel and pop large plastic cap off, and of course break the retainer tabs in the process.
splatrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The small positive stud in the front is threaded, right? .....worth screwing on a nut for future sessions....

This batt is truly a PIA to get to. Therefore I needed to make so I never had to pull the panel again.....So I have wired a small polarity sensitive pigtail to the batt. With a quick disconnect, I can either hook up a small voltage meter, true batt cable clamps or a trickle charger. Connector zip tied to backside of door.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6LTK44?psc=1
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
If you get the new replacement battery under warranty you will find out its a better battery then the one form the plant more amps, now getting it out to replace is a B****, learned the hard way. LOL
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #7
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I've had weak starts, sometimes it'll take half a second between cranks. Scares me sometimes.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
If you get the new replacement battery under warranty you will find out its a better battery then the one form the plant more amps, now getting it out to replace is a B****, learned the hard way. LOL

Do 17 SS's use the same battery as 16?
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote