Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #71
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
The LT5 could be made to fit by increasing the hood height and/or changing the SC lid design. GM already did this on the 5th Gen ZL1 because the CTS-V lid wouldn't clearance the cowl and similarly on the C7 ZO6 because of the low hood line. In both cases the ZL1 got the better (more plenum volume) lid compared to the other platforms.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #72
Squatch
Camaro pilot

Drives: 69 Camaro, 2014 ZL1
Its not just the hood height. its recalibrating the transmissions, the driveline, the rear axesl, adjusting the shocks for more or less weight, a myriad of little things the bean counters make them do. Most of us know the trans will accept ~1000 HP before letting go. but, for chevy to offer a warranty, it needs to be absolute bulletproof at the 755 power, and then some. They never just throw it in with a new hood, way too easy. They make things hard and think things through.
Hotlap: you need to brows the ZL1 forums, many topics about the LT5 fitting in the Camaro, it doesn't. yea if fitting was just the answer it would be easy. Its all the other stuff behind the engine that also needs to be beefed up.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #73
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Hood clearance and drive train are not major obstacles. If they were, we wouldn’t have a ZL1.

It all comes down to what GM wants for the Camaro.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #74
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
Its not just the hood height. its recalibrating the transmissions, the driveline, the rear axesl, adjusting the shocks for more or less weight, a myriad of little things the bean counters make them do. Most of us know the trans will accept ~1000 HP before letting go. but, for chevy to offer a warranty, it needs to be absolute bulletproof at the 755 power, and then some. They never just throw it in with a new hood, way too easy. They make things hard and think things through.
Hotlap: you need to brows the ZL1 forums, many topics about the LT5 fitting in the Camaro, it doesn't. yea if fitting was just the answer it would be easy. Its all the other stuff behind the engine that also needs to be beefed up.
No doubt that since GM offers the COPO Camaro they have an idea what a mere 755hp requires.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #75
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
So it’s not the fire wall and hood? It’s other stuff? ...that guys talked about? ...and I need to search the entire ZL1 forum?

Never mind. I don’t believe Chevy will do it anyway.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:03 AM   #76
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Chevy would be slaughtered if they repeated the Z06 debacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
So it’s not the fire wall and hood? It’s other stuff? ...that guys talked about? ...and I need to search the entire ZL1 forum?

Never mind. I don’t believe Chevy will do it anyway.
Well yeah of course the cars are fully validated for warranty, but also for performance. Increasing power/torque by 15-20% will require pretty much a full engineering revalidation if they're going to keep honoring the track warranty and satisfying all of their customers.

The LT5 as an engine is already pretty much a baked cake in the vette. But in the Camaro it's another story: cooling, driveline, brakes, etc. all need a look as well. Our cars are track monsters, and you know for sure a LT5 ZLE would be tracked on day one. 15-20% more heat in a ZLE in a 30+ minute track session would certainly put quite a few things on our cars to the test. Would the trans cooler need a pair of fans? The passive Aux coolers beefed up and fan driven as well? Diff cooler good enough?

What about torque management? Would the A10 bog like the M6 if they don't beef up the driveline? And if they do, what would they need to do for re-tuning TM?

...you get the idea...
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #77
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Now that the SS 1LE is a fast as the 5th gen LS7 Z/28 and GT350 what is the point of bringing back the Z/28? Also the 1LE is an every day driver which can be had with any option.

The 5th gen Z/28 was one of the coolest Camaro ever built. But as a car not so much.

Still we miss the last 427. I would love to put one in a loaded 5th gen 1LE. That would be a keeper.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #78
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Now that the SS 1LE is a fast as the 5th gen LS7 Z/28 and GT350 what is the point of bringing back the Z/28? Also the 1LE is an every day driver which can be had with any option.

The 5th gen Z/28 was one of the coolest Camaro ever built. But as a car not so much.

Still we miss the last 427. I would love to put one in a loaded 5th gen 1LE. That would be a keeper.
The point is an Alpha Z/28 would be even faster than the Alpha 1LE.

The GT2 and GT4 doesn’t stop Porsche from building the GT3. GM could build a Z/28 and limit it to a few hundred units.

Between my 1LE and my dad’s 15 Z/28, I enjoy driving the Z just as much if not more. If I could afford the gas and tires, I’d probably get one of my own.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #79
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Well yeah of course the cars are fully validated for warranty, but also for performance. Increasing power/torque by 15-20% will require pretty much a full engineering revalidation if they're going to keep honoring the track warranty and satisfying all of their customers.

The LT5 as an engine is already pretty much a baked cake in the vette. But in the Camaro it's another story: cooling, driveline, brakes, etc. all need a look as well. Our cars are track monsters, and you know for sure a LT5 ZLE would be tracked on day one. 15-20% more heat in a ZLE in a 30+ minute track session would certainly put quite a few things on our cars to the test. Would the trans cooler need a pair of fans? The passive Aux coolers beefed up and fan driven as well? Diff cooler good enough?

What about torque management? Would the A10 bog like the M6 if they don't beef up the driveline? And if they do, what would they need to do for re-tuning TM?

...you get the idea...
I never questioned any of that. I responded specifically to a statement that’s the LT5 or a Whipple conversation require modifications to the fire wall and hood to fit.

Context. You get the idea....

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #80
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The point is an Alpha Z/28 would be even faster than the Alpha 1LE.

The GT2 and GT4 doesn’t stop Porsche from building the GT3. GM could build a Z/28 and limit it to a few hundred units.

Between my 1LE and my dad’s 15 Z/28, I enjoy driving the Z just as much if not more. If I could afford the gas and tires, I’d probably get one of my own.

GM / Limited
Old 06-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #81
My First Camaro!

Drives: '18 5.7 RAM 1500 18' 1SS
6th Gen Z/28? Easy. All GM's gotta do is......

Start with a ZLE, its beast mode

LT5 I don't care make it fit, yes they can.

Bulletproof the drive line its already been done, yes they can

MOAR sticky rubber and wheels to mount it it does exist, yes they can

Cut out weight the same way they did in 5th Gen its tradition now, yes they can

Charge $85k build 3,000 and have a press tour.

See easy....
Old 06-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #82
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by My First Camaro! View Post
6th Gen Z/28? Easy. All GM's gotta do is......

Start with a ZLE, its beast mode

LT5 I don't care make it fit, yes they can.

Bulletproof the drive line its already been done, yes they can

MOAR sticky rubber and wheels to mount it it does exist, yes they can

Cut out weight the same way they did in 5th Gen its tradition now, yes they can

Charge $85k build 3,000 and have a press tour.

See easy....
But is it profitable?
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #83
My First Camaro!

Drives: '18 5.7 RAM 1500 18' 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
But is it profitable?
That is a different question!

How profitable is a ZLE????????????

Take a ZLE dump $25k into it and charge +$25K??????
Old 06-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #84
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
But is it profitable?
My guess is yet because the cost is amortized over the course of a few model years and spread across 3 different models.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concept, lt2, lt5, z/28